Recalled/Assigned: Smith recalled, McElhinney "day to day"

bluejacketsfanwpsl

Dec 15, 2006
I read on twitter:

Aaron Portzline‏@Aportzline3h
#CBJ G Mike McKenna will start Saturday vs. #stlblues. G Jeremy Smith being recalled from @TheFalconsAHL

Springfield still shows Smith and a g named Clemente (not Roberto) on their site.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The Falcons are in the middle of a long road trip and are playing Norfolk tonight. I wonder if Jeremy Smith might play tonight there and then fly out after the game to join the Jackets in Columbus?

Otherwise they're likely to have to find any available goalie in Norfolk.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yeah it's gotten to the point where Vegas has posted an over-under: how many Blue Jackets will get hurt in tonight's game and how many Falcon players will get recalled tommorrow?:shakehead

Bobrovsky out for a month. From TSN:

The Columbus Blue Jackets have added goaltender Jeremy Smith to the roster on emergency recall from their Springfield, Mass., affiliate in the American Hockey League.

The club also announced that goaltender Curtis McElhinney, who left Thursday's 4-2 win at the New York Rangers after the first period, is day-to-day due to a lower body injury and defenceman James Wisniewski has been placed on injured reserve retroactive to Dec. 6. Wisniewski sustained an upper body injury on that date during a 4-0 home win over Minnesota.

Smith will serve as a backup to Mike McKenna, filling in for McElhinney, who was subbing for last year's Vezina Trophy-winning goalie, Sergei Bobrovsky. Bobrovsky will be out another month with a groin injury.

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
I for one don't see why calling on a Hedberg or Theodore would be such a bad thing at this point. Unless the hope is to force the players in front of the goalies to up their game, which seems like a heck of an assumption of risk.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I for one don't see why calling on a Hedberg or Theodore would be such a bad thing at this point. Unless the hope is to force the players in front of the goalies to up their game, which seems like a heck of an assumption of risk.

As with any goalie, there's a chance that Mckenna or Mcelhinny will step it up and do a great job in Bob's absence. Hedberg and Theodore might stand a slightly better chance of playing at a high level, but I think the idea is to wait and see what the McBackup's do.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Kills the last of our available pro contracts. Otherwise I'd agree*... and if things go badly for the McBackups it might be worthwhile regardless.

*: and it hurts to say that, it really does

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3