TSN: Smid to Flames for Scorak and Brossoit

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I mentioned Rattie was smaller and alluded that is likely why we didn't target him. I still would of done so because of all those available on the Blues, his skillset is highest. There's a chance that Sven and JG don't become high end players and stockpiling as many of those guys as possible only increases your odds that at least one turns out. And if ones stands out, you trade the other for different organizational needs.

Aug 3, 2010
I mentioned Rattie was smaller and alluded that is likely why we didn't target him. I still would of done so because of all those available on the Blues, his skillset is highest. There's a chance that Sven and JG don't become high end players and stockpiling as many of those guys as possible only increases your odds that at least one turns out. And if ones stands out, you trade the other for different organizational needs.
I'd rather have 10 Poiriers than 10 Gaudreau-type prospects. I love me some Gaudreau but I'd say at least 6 out of 10 Poiriers pan out in the NHL, while maybe two Gaudreaus pan out in the NHL.

To put it another way - in the future, I'd rather have 6 Poiriers on my team than 1 Gaudreau. Sure, a single Gaudreau could be worth like two or three of Poirier on the ice but he has to get there first.

Only saying it like this because your post is leaning towards "all small skilled players all the time" and I can't really vouch for that.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd rather have 10 Poiriers than 10 Gaudreau-type prospects. I love me some Gaudreau but I'd say at least 6 out of 10 Poiriers pan out in the NHL, while maybe two Gaudreaus pan out in the NHL.

To put it another way - in the future, I'd rather have 6 Poiriers on my team than 1 Gaudreau. Sure, a single Gaudreau could be worth like two or three of Poirier on the ice but he has to get there first.

Only saying it like this because your post is leaning towards "all small skilled players all the time" and I can't really vouch for that.

I agree with you, but that's not really what I meant. I would of targeted Rattie in lieu of his stature because he was the highest skilled player that was likely available. I'm not endorsing taking a bunch of smaller players, but I think you target as many BPA's by any means you have. The reason is, not all top prospects turn out, but the more top pieces you have it increases your odds that at least one will turn out.

All things being equal, if they had a guy with Rattie's skill but was bigger and bigger skater then obviously I would prefer him. In that trade in particular we would of got Poirier regardless. I'm saying I'd rather we would of targeted Rattie over Cundari and Berra.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I agree with you, but that's not really what I meant. I would of targeted Rattie in lieu of his stature because he was the highest skilled player that was likely available. I'm not endorsing taking a bunch of smaller players, but I think you target as many BPA's by any means you have. The reason is, not all top prospects turn out, but the more top pieces you have it increases your odds that at least one will turn out.

All things being equal, if they had a guy with Rattie's skill but was bigger and bigger skater then obviously I would prefer him. In that trade in particular we would of got Poirier regardless. I'm saying I'd rather we would of targeted Rattie over Cundari and Berra.

While I somewhat agree, it's also the GM's job to fill holes in our depth chart, and the one that Berra is filling is far more substantial than the one that Rattie would fill. Sometimes you have to think about the right now over the far future. This deal filled a future hole (Poirier), and a current gaping hole (Berra), while still adding the possibility, albeit a seemingly less likely possibility of an NHL Defenceman as well. I like this trade more than I would have liked the trade that never could have happened because we were not willing to retain salary.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
While I somewhat agree, it's also the GM's job to fill holes in our depth chart, and the one that Berra is filling is far more substantial than the one that Rattie would fill. Sometimes you have to think about the right now over the far future. This deal filled a future hole (Poirier), and a current gaping hole (Berra), while still adding the possibility, albeit a seemingly less likely possibility of an NHL Defenceman as well. I like this trade more than I would have liked the trade that never could have happened because we were not willing to retain salary.

Again I agree with you, but I'd rather we did a separate deal in the offseason like sending Smith and a 7th in 2015 for Berra. Like I said, it sounded as if Berra had become an after thought in the Blues organization and they had no intention of ever bringing him over.

His value was low to them, but high to us. I credit our guys for doing their homework on him, but I feel that Jbo's value was so high (many teams were interested him) and we could of better utilized his value.

Either way though now I don't really care. I like how the deal transpired in the end but I just would of done it differently.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Again I agree with you, but I'd rather we did a separate deal in the offseason like sending Smith and a 7th in 2015 for Berra. Like I said, it sounded as if Berra had become an after thought in the Blues organization and they had no intention of ever bringing him over.

His value was low to them, but high to us. I credit our guys for doing their homework on him, but I feel that Jbo's value was so high (many teams were interested him) and we could of better utilized his value.

Either way though now I don't really care. I like how the deal transpired in the end but I just would of done it differently.

Either you or I are misremembering the situation, the way I recall it, very few teams were interested in JBo at his full contract(which is the key point) Teams that were willing to trade for him were requiring us to take portions of his salary, at least that is how I remember it, and Feaster publicly stated he was not going to do a trade in that manner. Feaster was in a tight spot, and I think he did as good as can be expected given the situation. Obviously not the best he could have, but as good as can be expected nonetheless.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Either you or I are misremembering the situation, the way I recall it, very few teams were interested in JBo at his full contract(which is the key point) Teams that were willing to trade for him were requiring us to take portions of his salary, at least that is how I remember it, and Feaster publicly stated he was not going to do a trade in that manner. Feaster was in a tight spot, and I think he did as good as can be expected given the situation. Obviously not the best he could have, but as good as can be expected nonetheless.

I agree with you this is also how I remember it. There were basically 2 teams according to TSN and that was STL or Detroit everyone else requested we hold salary and both Stl and Detroit wouldn't offer up a key piece if we didn't take on salary (a player like Rattie or for Detroit they only offered a 2nd instead of a 1st).

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I agree with you this is also how I remember it. There were basically 2 teams according to TSN and that was STL or Detroit everyone else requested we hold salary and both Stl and Detroit wouldn't offer up a key piece if we didn't take on salary (a player like Rattie or for Detroit they only offered a 2nd instead of a 1st).

Yes this is how I remember it as well.

Detroit was however offering 2 "prospects" and a 2nd.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Was it ever confirmed or just rumored?

I would have liked Jurco (not as much as Poirier) and I think very little of Sheahan so I think we made the right deal if true.

I have a friend who hangs out on the wings board. So he would know more than me about it. He was the one who told me about it. I could be wrong but it seemed reasonable.

He PM'ed me this earlier.

DatsyukToZetterberg[/QUOTE said:
Apparently it was Jurco+Sheahan+2nd. I never saw the tweet but that's what several Wings fans have said but I've never seen it. I'll try and find the quote for you.

Here's one quote from the 2012 offseason:

Jonathan Ericsson, forward Valterri Filppula & a late round draft pick are the rumored/reported pieces. Randy Workman, a trusted Flames insider

Here's this link

Lebrun said this:

My belief is that Detroit’s final offer on Bouwmeester was a second-round pick and two prospects. And frankly, that’s as far as the Wings could have gone.

Here's the link to the page

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: at Randy Workman being a trusted Flames insider.

Randy Workman is thefanblogger.

I have had more reliable dreams involving the girl from the Wendy's commercials trying to unwrap my baconator.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Burke could've of got us Rattie + 1st. Based on the Tanguay trade, Feaster has no concept of leverage.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
How does this deal look now?

He isn't very fast but he's not as bad as carrying it as the Oilers made it sound.

Ashera

Bärtschi Fan~!!
Nov 16, 2013
Airdrie
How does this deal look now?

He isn't very fast but he's not as bad as carrying it as the Oilers made it sound.

Horak wasn't getting the ice time and Brossoit is years away. It looks just as good now as it did when first reported. Smid is an upgrade to our defense without taking away from anything else.

Also.. it's just ever so fun hearing the Oiler faithful lament that he was traded away for nothing.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Oiler fan here (sorry for the bump).

Want to know how well Smid has been playing. We LOVED him in Edmonton, and pretty much both fanbases unanimously agree that the Oilers got hosed in this deal.

Is he slotted in the top 4? (For a while he was misused as our #1 Dman).

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Oiler fan here (sorry for the bump).

Want to know how well Smid has been playing. We LOVED him in Edmonton, and pretty much both fanbases unanimously agree that the Oilers got hosed in this deal.

Is he slotted in the top 4? (For a while he was misused as our #1 Dman).

He scored last night which was a pleasant surprise. Before Wideman went down he was being used as our #5 defense in terms of pairing but played a lot of hard minutes. He isn't a pretty player but we haven't had a useful defensive defenseman since Regehr so having Smid is great. I have been very happy.

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
He scored last night which was a pleasant surprise. Before Wideman went down he was being used as our #5 defense in terms of pairing but played a lot of hard minutes. He isn't a pretty player but we haven't had a useful defensive defenseman since Regehr so having Smid is great. I have been very happy.
They actually credited that goal to D. Jones after the game.

Smid is a really good bottom pairing guy that can slot in to the 2nd pair if needed. He's been fine for what we gave up for him. Has definitely lived up to expectations.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I don't want to be the odd man out here, but I haven't been that impressed with Smid. I think he's kind of one-dimensional and honestly not good in a traditional defensive sense. However, I'd need to see how Brossoit pans out before I made any sort of solid decision on this trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad