GDT: SMACKDOWN'S ELIMINATION CHAMBER -- February 12, 2017 -- now with pictures, NERDS

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think Naomi/Bliss has the potential to be the sloppiest match of the night and could be worse of the night.

Flip side I could see Becky/Mickie stealing the show.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Should be a typical solid SmackDown PPV...main event should be intriguing.

Curious to how they book the Harper-Orton match since I'd imagine Orton's next program is with whoever wins the belt tonight. If it is Bray, I want to see how they build for that.

The I.C. match for Mania will probably include someone from the Chamber against Dean. Seems like Corbin is the natural choice.

The women's matches should be good. Naomi is getting a big push. I don't know if she's a believable champ yet but she's got the ability. Would be a bigger moment for a babyface to have the belt change hands at Mania.

The tag match seems thrown together but I wonder if we get some kind of a surprise.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It would be so strange that Cena wins the big #16 and it is just lost for a 2 week title reign. Pretty weird stuff. Forcing an Orton/Wyatt title match is strange at WM, but I still would be so happy for Bray. Still just don't know why Cena can't hold it. I figured when he got the title again, he'd hold it down for a big time match.

I'll be tuning in at around 10pm to see what's up.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
If Cena doesn't hold it, it sets up the "you're old, you can only win one match and can't defend it any more" story. Lots of promo fodder in that for who ever.

But it does get a bit awkward as Cena is in a real corner with titles right now. He can't win the World title again as you need to do the big "beat Flair's recored" build for it, which should be a Wrestlemania thing.

The second title on the show is the Intercontinental one, but Cena has never won it. It's also the only title he needs for a Grand Slam, and that's another massive story you can build around. "I've done everything, except won that one last title" is a great for a retirement program for him (when he's legit retiring, not just going fully part time).

The US title would be a great place for him to fall back to and fail to retain again, but it being on Raw doesn't work. Tag titles would be a place I'd have him retain, but with the partner doing the heavy lifting so you still have questions.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If Cena doesn't hold it, it sets up the "you're old, you can only win one match and can't defend it any more" story. Lots of promo fodder in that for who ever.

But it does get a bit awkward as Cena is in a real corner with titles right now. He can't win the World title again as you need to do the big "beat Flair's recored" build for it, which should be a Wrestlemania thing.

The second title on the show is the Intercontinental one, but Cena has never won it. It's also the only title he needs for a Grand Slam, and that's another massive story you can build around. "I've done everything, except won that one last title" is a great for a retirement program for him (when he's legit retiring, not just going fully part time).

The US title would be a great place for him to fall back to and fail to retain again, but it being on Raw doesn't work. Tag titles would be a place I'd have him retain, but with the partner doing the heavy lifting so you still have questions.

I would get behind that storyline, personally. But then AJ should pin Cena tonight to set that up for Mania... and someone from Raw should have won the Rumble.

I like that IC belt storyline, too. Something they could really build. Dean/Cena is sort of a thing. It'd be pretty cool.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I can REALLY get behind that, especially an IC title run to complete the grand slam. In fact I love your ideas, Kimi. If Cena does indeed have a few years left I'd love to see him seriously challenge Honky Tonk Man's record but then again that's only an idea.

I do think however that Cena does not need to break Flair's record. Having tied it has set his legacy up enough. There would be nothing wrong to talk of the legend of John Cena and say, "For as great as he was he didn't break Flair's record. He only tied it" and it sets up a great debate for a "Who was better?" between them. I think a tie makes things more fun. But maybe I'm just complaining when I say that though. Cena's earned his right to surpass Flair but that 16 titles feels like the Undertaker's Mania undefeated streak. That should have been left alone even for as shocking as it was. To see someone break Flair's record too doesn't feel right in the same way. But as they say, records are made to be broken. Ultimately this is a decision that rests on Vince McMahon.

In a sort of related note: if you follow American baseball, a little more than 75 years ago an all time great player named Joe DiMaggio set a record of having a hit in 56 straight games. That's an accomplishment that parallels Gretzky's 50 goals in 39 games and it's just unbelievable. In sports lore DiMaggio's record is considered almost sacred. I've always felt Flair's record and Undertaker's streak to be the same in wrestling

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
that (revival) would make a boring card, amazing.

with Bray winning, of course, the title too.
whatever, im already anticipating everybodies reacion here when he gets pinned clean first.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
that (revival) would make a boring card, amazing.

with Bray winning, of course, the title too.
whatever, im already anticipating everybodies reacion here when he gets pinned clean first.

I guess you could say there would be a real............... REVIVAL to SD tag division with their debut tonight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad