Slow Skaters Who Were All Stars Or Even HOF'ers?

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Players who were stars despite this particular shortcoming. How slow? Let's just say slower than average. I will start with some obvious ones. Esposito, Robetaille and Simmer. Of these I would say from what I have seen Simmer was the slowest? He looked like he was always at the end of a 4 minute shift, yet he was great alongside Dionne who was in another world altogether for skating speed. In the same manner, Esposito did well alongside Hull. These guys had it figured out. Who were/are some others?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Players who were stars despite this particular shortcoming. How slow? Let's just say slower than average. I will start with some obvious ones. Esposito, Robetaille and Simmer. Of these I would say from what I have seen Simmer was the slowest? He looked like he was always at the end of a 4 minute shift, yet he was great alongside Dionne who was in another world altogether for skating speed. In the same manner, Esposito did well alongside Hull. These guys had it figured out. Who were/are some others?

Luc Robataile and Dave Andreychuck

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Again; relative to their time, I'll go with Don Luce and Ed Van Impe.

Not perennial All Stars, but qualify as All Stars as they did play in at least one All Star game...

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Brad Park (at least later on).

That brings up a good point. Some players have a historical rep as being slow when it was mainly due to a deteriorating condition (usually knees) and/or they slowed up during the last part of their careers and are remembered that way. Park was not considered slow as a prospect but he began wearing braces on BOTH knees even while he was still in New York.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I was wondering if Allison played an allstar game? He had a few decent years in Boston, one being over a ppg

Edit: I cannot figure out how to quote people with this new format.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I was wondering if Allison played an allstar game? He had a few decent years in Boston, one being over a ppg

Edit: I cannot figure out how to quote people with this new format.

Just click reply on the post you want to quote.

Reactions: TMLFC

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
brad marsh was one of/the slowest players in the league.

he played in the 93 all-star game.

personally i consider the all-star game a complete joke but marsh did get selected to play in one.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Thornton is pretty slow. But in a Jagr way, it doesn't matter much because he's big and succeds with his hockey IQ.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Nels Stewart was a notably slow skater, but he used his intelligence and big frame to be an excellent goal scorer. Stood in front of the net and put the puck in.

Leafs legend Teeder Kennedy was also not a very quick skater, but he had great balance, was a very good stickhandler, and incredibly smart, and so was able to be a star centerman.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Thornton is pretty slow. But in a Jagr way, it doesn't matter much because he's big and succeds with his hockey IQ.

It's become a popular notion around here to say Jagr is slow. Yes he's slow now, but Jagr was darn fast for his first 10 years in the league. Jagr as a Penguin was one of the fastest players in the league. As one poster above noted about Park, certain players are thought to be slow, but Jagr has seen weight gain, age, groin injuries and a knee injury all contribute to him slowing down.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Phil Esposito. Guy is one of my top 10-15 players ever. It's great to see despite skating being such an important skill that these guys are still great players despite not having this skill.

tmmr

Aug 20, 2017
Bill Gadsby, at least at the end of his career. He was practically stationary but still effective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad