Slovan Bratislava 2013/2014 season talk

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Oh, sry you're right. Well I don't follow Bundesliga that much as my team (1. FC Kaiserslautern) plays 2. Bundesliga. :D

Btw I got one question regarding Slovan: acc to Wikipedia HC Slovan was part of the football club when founded. Is there still a connection between the two sports or do they only share Slovan as a name?

PS: If known would be also interesting how its the case with Dynamo Moscow, Spartak Moscow, CSKA Moscow and Dinamo Minsk.

What kind of connection do you exactly mean? For instance, both of clubs have nickname "Belasí" according to sky-blue colour of shirts. HC used to wear it - http://www.bratislavskenoviny.sk/bu...jistami_slovana_bratislava/satan_miroslav.jpg - but even our GM said, this colour goes particularly for football club. So nowadays this colour is used just by fans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y5PtZKmv4k - here you can see sky-blue scarves.

But in general I would say clubs share just the name. Perhaps, of course, some kind of formal support between clubs and huge between fans. Actually, most of HC fans support Å K. What concerns me I only support a hockey club.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Dynamo Moscow football and hockey clubs are separated, but they will merge soon - VTB Bank/Rotenbergs are behind this merge.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
What kind of connection do you exactly mean? For instance, both of clubs have nickname "Belasí" according to sky-blue colour of shirts. HC used to wear it - http://www.bratislavskenoviny.sk/bu...jistami_slovana_bratislava/satan_miroslav.jpg - but even our GM said, this colour goes particularly for football club. So nowadays this colour is used just by fans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y5PtZKmv4k - here you can see sky-blue scarves.

But in general I would say clubs share just the name. Perhaps, of course, some kind of formal support between clubs and huge between fans. Actually, most of HC fans support ŠK. What concerns me I only support a hockey club.

Okay thanks for the explanation. Here in Germany we mostly have one-sports-only clubs at the professional level. The very only expection to this unwritten rule are Bayern Munich with teams in football and basketball Bundesliga. Even in a city with teams in the highest league of all 4 German top sports there are 4 different clubs with no connection between them. Many people think HSV Handball are part of Hamburger SV football team but in fact they just paid to be allowed to use their name.

I think this question if or if not these clubs in KHL are sperate from each other is quite interesting due to budget questions.

Sucro

Rhymesayers Fanboy
May 11, 2013
Vienna
Every Moscow club has both kinds of fans: supporters of particular sport teams and supporters of the sport society as a family of clubs, however, football has much larger fanbases than hockey or, if we talk about CSKA, basketball as well (other sports and clubs are too small to count). There is a tradition of attending matches of same clubs by sportsmen of different sport, for example Berezutskiy and Tosic come to basketball matches, Radulov was there once last season as well, so all sports of one club are quite connected.

Dynamo Moscow football and hockey clubs are separated, but they will merge soon - VTB Bank/Rotenbergs are behind this merge.

Ownership and other juridical aspects are not important for fans in terms of connection between teams.

Last edited:

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Every Moscow club has supporters of both particular sport teams and the sport society as a family of clubs, however, football has much larger fanbases than hockey or, if we talk about CSKA, basketball as well (other sports and clubs are too small to count). There is a tradition of attending matches of same clubs by sportsmen of different sport, for example Berezutskiy and Tosic come to basketball matches, Radulov was there once last season as well, so all sports of one club are quite connected.

So it's similar to Polish sports. There most fans at Legia or Cracovia games (hockey) are fans of the football team in first place and just want to support the club (they probably would visit any sports hehe).

Ownership and other juridical aspects are not important for fans.

Maybe not immidiately but such ownership changes can have a huge impact on team budgets and thus the quality of the team. ;) And then fans will be interested. :)

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
But back to topic. I wonder if Slovan will do better at ET this time. Did they not care last season or why did they have so many problems to dominate other teams?

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
But back to topic. I wonder if Slovan will do better at ET this time. Did they not care last season or why did they have so many problems to dominate other teams?
We just took it as a training. And in the final stage, we just wanted to lose the first match in order to save energy for KHL, because the calendar was pretty full and merciless. Therefore I don't expect miracles this year. I am sure the management don't want to proceed to the final tournament so we could have like 60% succeed.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Not sold out yet: Ticketportal still showing 13 available tickets right now :D

http://www.ticketportal.sk/performance.aspx?idp=700290

By the way, the arena still can end up being empty for the actual game... how many of the 5.5 thousand KHL season-ticket holders will bother to show up there on 1st August? Quite a few of them can be "corporate customers" rather than "real fans"... ;)

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Not sold out yet: Ticketportal still showing 13 available tickets right now :D

http://www.ticketportal.sk/performance.aspx?idp=700290

By the way, the arena still can end up being empty for the actual game... how many of the 5.5 thousand KHL season-ticket holders will bother to show up there on 1st August? Quite a few of them can be "corporate customers" rather than "real fans"... ;)
Okay, to be exact, 2 tickets left right now. :D

And you don't need to be concerned about that. 5,000 season tickets holders and I can compare it to last year friendlies - there is gonna be at least 90% of them definitely.

russianhockey

Apr 22, 2007
www.russianhockey.de
Žigmund Pálffy talks really bad about the future of the slovakian hockey

he said, that players did not receive money for months, and they left to foreign leagues (like Poland, Romania, Hungary etc.)

he also said, that the slovakian hockey is about going to hell and that in 5 years hockey will turn from professional sports to hobby, is the situation really so bad?

the original quote in russian
Я, честно говоря, вижу будущее местного хоккея в черном свете. Не пройдет и пяти лет, как лучшие словацкие команды будут играть на любительском уровне. Молодые ребята будут днем работать, а в хоккей - который станет всего лишь хобби - играть вечером

sounds really really though :( im shocked

source: http://aktualne.atlas.sk/koniec-zigmund-palffy-zavesil-korcule-na-klinec/sport/hokej

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

he said, that players did not receive money for months, and they left to foreign leagues (like Poland, Romania, Hungary etc.)

he also said, that the slovakian hockey is about going to hell and that in 5 years hockey will turn from professional sports to hobby, is the situation really so bad?

Я, честно говоря, вижу будущее местного хоккея в черном свете. Не пройдет и пяти лет, как лучшие словацкие команды будут играть на любительском уровне. Молодые ребята будут днем работать, а в хоккей - который станет всего лишь хобби - играть вечером

source: http://aktualne.atlas.sk/koniec-zigmund-palffy-zavesil-korcule-na-klinec/sport/hokej

Not really surprised. I know that the Slovak posters know better, but although there is a little bit of talent still coming through system (Tatar, Panik, Jurco, Dano, Reway, Cehlarik, Marincin, Gernat, Janus) it is coming in spurts now and in no small part to problems in the Slovak youth system.

Too bad. I hope guys like Palffy become more prominent and the corruption and mismanagement of the Slovak system starts to correct itself. Really is sad, since Slovakia LOVES hockey.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
i agree, Slovaks and Czechs took a huge hit with the county's separation, but Slovaks due to a lesser economy took it the hardest. May be it's time to unite the leagues again? as well as juniors?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
i agree, Slovaks and Czechs took a huge hit with the county's separation, but Slovaks due to a lesser economy took it the hardest. May be it's time to unite the leagues again? as well as juniors?

Czech hockey is for sure doing better.

I know that there was talk of combining the men's league a year or two ago, but I think the Czech federation wanted nothing to do with it. Slovak extraliga has only 2-4 solid teams (financially at least) left I think.

I am no expert though, some Slovak posters will be around soon to correct me I am sure :laugh:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
And you don't need to be concerned about that. 5,000 season tickets holders and I can compare it to last year friendlies - there is gonna be at least 90% of them definitely.

I'm not so sure about that. :amazed: For example, I won't be there. I opted not to renew my 2 season tickets after they raised the price from €300 to €500. For the €400 saved, I'll be buying an iPad Mini Retina after it comes out -- somehow seems like a better investment. ;) If at least the KHL regular season had been longer (instead of ending in February, with extremely long breaks, too, not only the Olympic one), as extended as in the NHL... it would have struck me as better value.

In the NHL, it's not uncommon for games to be officially "sold out", yet with many seats left empty at the actual game. As ticket prices rise, regular folks won't be able to afford them, and arenas are sold out by "corporate customers", who aren't "real fans", like I mentioned, but mostly snobs. Is a snob going to bother to show up for a friendly hockey game on 1st August? :sarcasm: Or, if Slovan plays very badly this season (unlike the last), for example: sitting in last place in the table (like Dinamo Riga last year), will all the snobs be attending every Slovan home game anyway? The future will show. :)

I do hope KHL.ru will improve compared to last season, and will make it possible to purchase live & archived webcasts of all (and I mean all!) :rant: Slovan games for the season. Last year, the price for "all games by a team" was at around €37, but it was something of a scam, because some games by Slovan were not webcast at all.

I'd also be willing to buy the KHL season-long webcast (live+archive) subscription (all games by all teams), but not for the ridiculous, inflated price of last season. (A lot higher than a full season of NHL GameCenter!)

Also, the speed of posting games to the archive should be much improved by the KHL. If Slovan plays a game in Siberia at (for us) 2 p.m., it's unacceptable for the game still not to be available in the KHL archives at (say) 7 p.m. on that day, even if you have a paid subscription. The game should be available, in full length, for subscribers in the KHL online webcasts archive as soon as it's over in real time! :nod:

As to Ziggy Pálffy, he's always been a sort of pessimist, and some of his statements (and non-hockey activities) in the past have been weird, so I wouldn't put too much weight into this. The situation in Slovak hockey isn't rosy by any means, but is it really that catastrophic? :help:

Also, what's wrong with playing hockey for fun, for the love of the game, rather than for outrageous salaries? Tell me, who's the most famous detective worldwide, fictional or otherwise? Why, it's Sherlock Holmes. Was he a professional detective? No, sir... he was an exemplary amateur. :laugh: Yet he was the best of them all, because he devoted himself to the activity regardless of the profit it may or may not have held for him. If a new Wayne Gretzky or Sidney Crosby or Peter Šťastný is ever born in Slovakia... rest assured that guy will find a way to develop his talents (even though it may not be on a Slovak professional team -- although we still have Slovan, and I hope a few more good teams in the future; I've always said there should be 3 Slovak KHL teams if possible, one in every traditional Slovak region: West, Central and East). :yo:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Tell IIHF to ban international transfer players younger 18 yrs and to create "development fee rules" like FIFA/FIBA. Problem solved.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

sure, Slovak hockey has troubles. Big troubles. But i dont think, that in 5 years it will be so bad.
This article must be sold. So, they wrote something very negative. Because that is what people want to read. Negative news make numbers. Not the positive.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
I'm not so sure about that. :amazed: For example, I won't be there. I opted not to renew my 2 season tickets after they raised the price from €300 to €500. For the €400 saved, I'll be buying an iPad Mini Retina after it comes out -- somehow seems like a better investment. ;) If at least the KHL regular season had been longer (instead of ending in February, with extremely long breaks, too, not only the Olympic one), as extended as in the NHL... it would have struck me as better value.

In the NHL, it's not uncommon for games to be officially "sold out", yet with many seats left empty at the actual game. As ticket prices rise, regular folks won't be able to afford them, and arenas are sold out by "corporate customers", who aren't "real fans", like I mentioned, but mostly snobs. Is a snob going to bother to show up for a friendly hockey game on 1st August? :sarcasm: Or, if Slovan plays very badly this season (unlike the last), for example: sitting in last place in the table (like Dinamo Riga last year), will all the snobs be attending every Slovan home game anyway? The future will show. :)

I do hope KHL.ru will improve compared to last season, and will make it possible to purchase live & archived webcasts of all (and I mean all!) :rant: Slovan games for the season. Last year, the price for "all games by a team" was at around €37, but it was something of a scam, because some games by Slovan were not webcast at all.

I'd also be willing to buy the KHL season-long webcast (live+archive) subscription (all games by all teams), but not for the ridiculous, inflated price of last season. (A lot higher than a full season of NHL GameCenter!)

Also, the speed of posting games to the archive should be much improved by the KHL. If Slovan plays a game in Siberia at (for us) 2 p.m., it's unacceptable for the game still not to be available in the KHL archives at (say) 7 p.m. on that day, even if you have a paid subscription. The game should be available, in full length, for subscribers in the KHL online webcasts archive as soon as it's over in real time! :nod:

As to Ziggy Pálffy, he's always been a sort of pessimist, and some of his statements (and non-hockey activities) in the past have been weird, so I wouldn't put too much weight into this. The situation in Slovak hockey isn't rosy by any means, but is it really that catastrophic? :help:

Also, what's wrong with playing hockey for fun, for the love of the game, rather than for outrageous salaries? Tell me, who's the most famous detective worldwide, fictional or otherwise? Why, it's Sherlock Holmes. Was he a professional detective? No, sir... he was an exemplary amateur. :laugh: Yet he was the best of them all, because he devoted himself to the activity regardless of the profit it may or may not have held for him. If a new Wayne Gretzky or Sidney Crosby or Peter Å ťastný is ever born in Slovakia... rest assured that guy will find a way to develop his talents (even though it may not be on a Slovak professional team -- although we still have Slovan, and I hope a few more good teams in the future; I've always said there should be 3 Slovak KHL teams if possible, one in every traditional Slovak region: West, Central and East). :yo:

You won't be there but you're not a season ticket holder so where is the problem? :sarcasm:
I am not a sociologist so we'll just see. Officially it is sold out, we can do nothing about snobs. But I am really not afraid of this. Maybe just some from VIP won't come but I am sure that also according to the last year most of them will come today.

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
I know that there was talk of combining the men's league a year or two ago, but I think the Czech federation wanted nothing to do with it. Slovak extraliga has only 2-4 solid teams (financially at least) left I think.

I am no expert though, some Slovak posters will be around soon to correct me I am sure :laugh:

In November 2011, Slovan and Kosice requested to join the Czech Extraliga to make (what I guess is politically insensitive, but for the want of a better word) a Czecho-Slovak Extraliga.

However, it was rejected by 13 out of the 14 CZ Extraliga teams - http://hokej.idnes.cz/extraliga-se-...ly-1pg-/hokej.aspx?c=A111124_130800_hokej_elv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad