Slovakia U20 vs University of British Columbia (Exhibition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

I went to the Team Slovakia U20 vs University of British Columbia (my alma mater) on Friday evening as the Slovak U20 team played its first game after arriving in Vancouver on Thursday. There was an enthusastic crowd of UBC supportors and local Slovaks who live in Vancouver.

Slovakia - UBC 3-6 (0-0, 3-1, 0-5)
The game started off a bit slow as UBC was coming off a 8-1 loss to Team Canada the night before, and the Slovaks had just arrived the day before from a trans-Atlantic flight. After a shorthanded goal by UBC in the middle of the 2nd period, the Slovaks slowly started to take over, scoring 3 in a row to end the peroid. I predicted to my wife that the University team would probably go through the motions in the 3rd period after having played the night before. Apparently the Slovaks thought the same, as by the 5th minute of the last period UBC scored 4 goals to take a 5-3 lead. After that, the Slovaks didn't really threaten much and UBC iced the game with 4 minutes remaining.

I spoke with Slovak defensemen Michal Korenko D (Lewiston Maineiacs QMJHL) the on Saturday (at a Christmas Dinner where the Slovak U20 were guests). Korenko is a funny guy. In talking about hockey in Maine, he mentioned "English is hard, I'm glad I don't have to learn French as well right now, maybe later (Lewiston's team in the Québec Major Junior league, but is in Maine USA). I asked about the collapse against UBC the night before, and he sheepishly laughed and said "we fell asleep. We thought the game was over at 3-1, coach not happy."

Here is a shot of the action from early in the first period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad