OT: Slingbox info needed

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
Can anybody give info on Slingbox?

Can it be used on a laptop/mobile device when away from home to watch what I want if the family is watching something else on a cable box?

We have 2 cable boxes hooked up to 2 separate tv's.

How easy is it to hook up? We don't have a router just standard coax cable.

Keep in mind I have trouble using a toaster and microwave at the same time. :)

thanks

EDIT FOR MODS- sorry, please remove this as it was meant for the Geek Emporium or just add OT to subject heading- thanks

(MOD NOTE: Its fine here. Added OT prefix. No illegal talk though)

Last edited by a moderator:

BiggyPete2

Oct 16, 2008
just installed my new sling box 500 last night for saturdays game.

you take the output of your cable box hook it up to sling box. then take the out put of the sling box and hook it up to tv. so it goes between your cable box and the tv.

you hook it up to the least used tv because if you want to watch it on your lap top lets say well then who ever is home has to watch what you are watching on your lap top.

you need a router. the new one the 500 that i bought is the most expensive its hd but it has a wireless wifi on it so i connected to my modem through wifi. the cheaper one the 350 you need to hook up with a network cable to your router so that also has to be close to your router. less cables so that is why i got the more expensive 500 one.

the 500 cost me 340 dollars. the cheaper one i think was around 200.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
yes you can watch it on a Mobile Device. However the APP os not free.
It needs to be hooked up to your cable box. So if you change the Channel on the Box it will change on the TV. But yes someone can watch the same thing you are watching from the TV.
The Quality is Fantastic.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
just installed my new sling box 500 last night for saturdays game.

you take the output of your cable box hook it up to sling box. then take the out put of the sling box and hook it up to tv. so it goes between your cable box and the tv.

you hook it up to the least used tv because if you want to watch it on your lap top lets say well then who ever is home has to watch what you are watching on your lap top.

you need a router. the new one the 500 that i bought is the most expensive its hd but it has a wireless wifi on it so i connected to my modem through wifi. the cheaper one the 350 you need to hook up with a network cable to your router so that also has to be close to your router. less cables so that is why i got the more expensive 500 one.

the 500 cost me 340 dollars. the cheaper one i think was around 200.

Thanks for the info! Yup, that's the plan to watch saturday's game as I'll be away from home and unable to get to a bar plus future use. Sounds cool.

I have Time Warner cable. They use a router? Don't even have a modem from them but can get one if needed.

Last edited:

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
yes you can watch it on a Mobile Device. However the APP os not free.
It needs to be hooked up to your cable box. So if you change the Channel on the Box it will change on the TV. But yes someone can watch the same thing you are watching from the TV.
The Quality is Fantastic.

How much is the app?

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
I think it was 29.99 for Android.
Not sure about apple
Could be free now.
Make sure u can access it from your phone before you leave. That would suck if its not working.

On my TV now for MSG+ to watch a game I get the top and bottom of picture black like a theater view. Will I get the same thing on mobile device? (or same exact thing that TV shows)

I spoke to TWC but they're idiots and never fixed the black border problem for MSG, MSG+ that I've heard many other people have.

BiggyPete2

Oct 16, 2008
On my TV now for MSG+ to watch a game I get the top and bottom of picture black like a theater view. Will I get the same thing on mobile device? (or same exact thing that TV shows)

I spoke to TWC but they're idiots and never fixed the black border problem for MSG, MSG+ that I've heard many other people have.

you will see exactly what is on your tv on your lap top or whatever device you are watching the game on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad