Skydiver jumps from 25,000 feet without deploying parachute (and lives)

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Adrenaline junky? Daredevil? Attention seeker? Dare? "Why not"?

Sometimes you just have to let someone risk their life if you love them. (And they have the motivation to succeed.)

I'm sure the 4 yr old didn't have a vote on potentially not having a dad.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I guess nobody with a family shall ever do anything dangerous. This feat is pretty amazing.

Big difference between dangerous and insanely reckless. Let's say he dies, so the kid grows up getting to talk about how his dad died jumping out of a plane with no parachute for like $50 k?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Big difference between dangerous and insanely reckless. Let's say he dies, so the kid grows up getting to talk about how his dad died jumping out of a plane with no parachute for like $50 k?

That's pretty good money considering the guy landed completely unharmed. Not that that is the actual amount I really don't know.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
That's pretty good money considering the guy landed completely unharmed. Not that that is the actual amount I really don't know.

I'm all for people doing whatever stupid stuff they want but let's not kid ourselves - 50K to jump out of a plane without a parachute and aiming for this one spot is not enough. Not for me at least and I'm sure a lot of others who value their lives more than 50K worth.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm all for people doing whatever stupid stuff they want but let's not kid ourselves - 50K to jump out of a plane without a parachute and aiming for this one spot is not enough. Not for me at least and I'm sure a lot of others who value their lives more than 50K worth.

Just to be clear, is that the actual number?

Also, it depends upon your confidence that you can do it safely, which I'm sure this guy and his team had. I don't think he planned on dying. His odds of doing it successfully are not the same as your odds for example.

I definitely wouldn't do it, my legs get weak going up a glass elevator.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Just to be clear, is that the actual number?

Also, it depends upon your confidence that you can do it safely, which I'm sure this guy and his team had. I don't think he planned on dying. His odds of doing it successfully are not the same as your odds for example.

I definitely wouldn't do it, my legs get weak going up a glass elevator.

For the record I made up that number. Not sure how much it actually was.

Whoops, thought it was the actual number. Nonetheless, I don't know what number would make me do it.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

He had to wear a parachute. He chose not to deploy it.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

You think it was insanely reckless. Maybe due to preparation and his long history of experience he knew it wasn't.

There are risks of course. Same thing with race car drivers, football players, military personal, police officers, crab fisherman and so on and so ...... I guess these guys shouldn't have families either.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Most the careers you listed have a purpose.

We're not going to convert each other's opinions here. Call me an overprotective person or parent but I just don't see the need or purpose for this jump. I've got a kid roughly that age and i wouldn't take such an unnecessary risk.

If you read the interview the guy even says he originally said no because of his family. But then it ate away at him and he needed to do it.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
How long does it take to get to terminal velocity? 100 meters? After that it just becomes a pointless aiming exercise.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
My son at one point wanted to be a professional skydiver, and spent a summer in Deland Florida before deciding that he'd rather fly the planes than jump out of them(thank God).

He met a lot of the old school pro skydivers, including a guy who survived a hot air balloon crash like the one recently in Texas, and he said they were all pissed about this guy.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
My son at one point wanted to be a professional skydiver, and spent a summer in Deland Florida before deciding that he'd rather fly the planes than jump out of them(thank God).

He met a lot of the old school pro skydivers, including a guy who survived a hot air balloon crash like the one recently in Texas, and he said they were all pissed about this guy.

pissed as in they were jealous or that he was giving skydiving a bad name?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
pissed as in they were jealous or that he was giving skydiving a bad name?

giving skydiving a bad name. i.e., stupid stunt with no purpose, unnecessary risk, copycats will almost certainly result in a death, etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad