Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
I think I figured out what my problem is. My feet are right between 7.5 and 8 in hockey skates. I tried on Vapors today in E width in both 7.5 and 8. In 7.5 my toes are fairly stuffed in the end but not really uncomfortable (that could change while skating) and in 8 my feet can slide forward to brush the toebox leaving a slight gap causing heel lift.

My shoe size in some shoes is 9.5 and others a 9. I assumed that an 8 would fit based on a shoe I wear in 9.5 when I ordered them. I tried on the RBZ today in 7.5 D and liked them but again had a gap at the heel when I pushed my foot forward. A 7 might work in RBZ. Seemed like the RBZ are right in between 2 and 1.5 sizes down from shoe size. Finding skates that fit perfectly is quite a task. I hope I don't have to go the VH route.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
is there anywhere I can find a top down picture of the jet speed skates? I'm specifically looking for a picture from above that looks into the boot itself.

thanks

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
x80 vs x90? coming from 16k's. intermediate skater but improving rapidly thru private lessons. I lace up 3-6 times per week. I'm 5'9 185 lbs.

Are the x90s worth the extra $100 in performance and comfort? and would they be too stiff for me??

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
That's a tough one. The X90 is a pro level skate, and should definitely last you a while. The X80 is a very good skate as well, that could be considered top end in seasons past. Slightly softer but will be easier to break in and also last you a while.

See if you can notice the stiffness difference when walking around. Even if the X90s feel a bit stiffer, multiple skate bakes should help you dial them in.

Put it this way, if you think that $100 could go elsewhere, then going to the X80 would still be a great choice and an upgrade to your 16K.

Last edited:

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago

lol, then my lhs needs a class on hockey skates. went to get fitted to see if the new ribcor line had a better shape to my odd narrow heel and wide forefoot and ended up trying on other skates but he told me to stay out of vapors unless I was buying high end cause he heel tended to be smaller.

I'll show him this thread.

edit: spelled ribcor wrong

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
It's not built on wider lasts. What they may have been referring to is that since higher end skates are stiffer while lower end skates are softer, the heels of the lower end models have more give to them. It is still incorrect to say one has wider/narrower heels.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
It's not built on wider lasts. What they may have been referring to is that since higher end skates are stiffer while lower end skates are softer, the heels of the lower end models have more give to them. It is still incorrect to say one has wider/narrower heels.

no, he told me they're built with wider heels.

funny how you can be so wrong.

aireaye, I fit in supremes but I want to try apx2s because my heel still slips in my supremes and from my knowledge the apx2s have a narrower heel. any length differences between the two?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
You're saying I'm wrong? I'd like to hear his source. I'm not saying he's 100% wrong, because that'd be foolishly close-minded, but in my 7 years of following the hockey equipment industry, I've never once heard of anything resembling this description.

No length differences, but I've heard of a few people finding a more comfortable fit in going up a half size in Vapor, but those are very very rare cases. Stay with the same length.

For your heel lift issues, have you considered the Mako/Mako 2?

Last edited:

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
You're saying I'm wrong? I'd like to hear his source. I'm not saying he's 100% wrong, because that'd be foolishly close-minded, but in my 7 years of following the hockey equipment industry, I've never once heard of anything resembling this description.

No length differences, but I've heard of a few people finding a more comfortable fit in going up a half size in Vapor, but those are very very rare cases. Stay with the same length.

For your heel lift issues, have you considered the Mako/Mako 2?

no I was saying what he told me, I believe you're right lol. sorry for the confusion.

okay I'm trying on x100s and apx2s tomorrow I'll let you know how they fit

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
okay I'm trying on x100s and apx2s tomorrow I'll let you know how they fit

tried them on, they fit kinda snug. no pain though but I'm gonna try on a EE just to see how different it is.

can anyone comment on the lacing system in the apx2 skate? is it worth buying them for the extra 150 or should I stick with the x100s.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I'm leaning towards he x100s solely because ive never tried the lacing system so I don't know if I'll like it

I'm in X100's. Wondered if they might have been a bit 'too much' skate for me when I went up from the X70, but they are awesome. When they come up for renewal I'm at the stage now where I'll happily jump into a top of the range, but I've wondered too about the lacing system on the APX.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
I'm in X100's. Wondered if they might have been a bit 'too much' skate for me when I went up from the X70, but they are awesome. When they come up for renewal I'm at the stage now where I'll happily jump into a top of the range, but I've wondered too about the lacing system on the APX.

at least I'm not the only skeptic, I mean I've been using the traditional lacing for so long I just feel like it would be too weird to switch

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I don't think it'll be of any issue in transitioning to the new lacing. It's an improvement in most cases. The real question is value.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
I don't think it'll be of any issue in transitioning to the new lacing. It's an improvement in most cases. The real question is value.

I don't think that a new lacing system and a new liner are that big of a deal. Not to mention the fact that if the lacing system breaks you're looking at a hefty repair bill. I think I'm going to go with the x100s but I might try to hold off for a little.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
I understand your concern with possible repairs if the lacing system fails, however; it's been out over 2 years now and if it's happened it certainly doesn't seem to be a wide spread issue. I lurk and post on various hockey related message boards and haven't come across someone complaining about the new lacing system breaking.

What I have seen is some people complaining about the Edge steel popping out or getting loose and A LOT of people complaining about Fusion steel breaking or bending. At least with the X100 you'd have LS2 steel and not Fusion steel.

I usually try to go for the highest end model on clearance if I can, but in this case I'd probably lean toward the X100 because if you bought the APX2's you'd probably want to ditch the Fusion steel (or you could hope that if something happened under warranty you could get the Fusions swapped out for LS4, but there are no guarantees there) - the lacing system would be the least of my worries.

With that said, I'd definitely go into a store or two or three and try on every possible model I could in various sizes to be sure I'm buying the skates that fit my foot best. The Vapors may fit well, but you may find something that feel even better on your feet if you try all the models and brands you can. It sounds like you've already started doing this as you went to the store to try on Ribcors and tried on other models. I second Aireaye's recommendation to at least try on the Mako, Mako 2 or M8 - you'll obviously get a better feel for them if the shops let you bake them before buying, but not all shops will do that. The Mako becomes extremely malleable when you bake them.

steevdeadman

Feb 25, 2014
Boogie Down Bronx
On a whim I grabbed some clearance RBZ80s from hockeymonkey.com. Everything fits fine except the arches seem a bit high and they hurt. Will baking the skates fix that or will the skates just not work for me.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
If you haven't baked them yet, I suggest doing so, but before you do, I would verify that they fit properly and make sure you understand the retailer's return policy in case you want something else.

If the bake doesn't help, purchase a pair of Superfeet Yellow. If those don't help, return them within 60 days for full refund and buy a pair of CCM's arch support insoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad