Skate sharpening

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by Happy Pony, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happy Pony

Happy Pony Registered User

Ok so here's the story, I haven't played ice hockey for about 10 years now (18 years old, stopped when I was 9). Well I've been playing inline hockey the whole time and I decided to get back into ice hockey. I just got new skates and all my equipment (had to buy pants and shoulder pads). I bought the skates off the internet after trying them on in the store. All I need is to get my skates sharpened, I know plenty of places that do this but I'm looking for some advice on how not to look like a jackass when I go to get my skates sharpened. Any advice would be appreciated. :help:

2. Heat McManus

Heat McManus Registered User

Bring them in and tell them that you just got new skates and need them sharpened.

The first cut is usually a little more expensive than normal (We charge $15 for a first cut, $8 regular cut)

If it's too sharp after they've sharpened them, then try rubbing a them on the plastic on the bottom of the bench doors a bunch of times to take off the extreme edge and ask them for a shallowe radius the next time.

3. Canadian Chris

Canadian Chris Registered User

I sell hockey stuff
    Home Page:
    $8 for a regular sharpening? :eek:

that's absolutely ridiculous...I mean, I pay tops $4 at my LHS....and that's $4CDN....lol...

4. sc37

sc37 Registered User

Home Page:
    Yikes $8? But yeah, there's some "formula" some people got to figure out how to sharpen your blades to a certain hollow. They do it by weight...idk if it works or not, but you can maybe try to find it. But from what I know...3/8" is usually standard--good for turns and ok speed and ok stopping. Then there's 1/2" which is flatter and more speed.

#66 Registered User

Home Page:
    He's in NY. You guys should see the prices for anything at Chelsea Piers then add parking.

6. nni

nni Registered User

cost me $17 for parking every game.... on top of gas and tolls. looking at a $30 night easy.

7. Heat McManus

Heat McManus Registered User

Yeah, everything in NYC is gonna cost a pretty penny. Long Island is the same way. Once you get up past Westchester the prices wil drop. Around here it's $27 for open hockey, $500 for league play, $1200 for "Elite" lockers. Thank god I get a damn good employee discount.

We sharpen at 7/16. Most places will do it at that or 1/2. It also depends on how hard the ice is. If the ice is harder you may want a deeper cut (3/8).

8. Gallagbi

Gallagbi Formerly Eazy_B97

3/8" is deep. I skate on 3/4" now, and used to skate on 1" when I did my own skates.
    The shop I worked at charged $10 for figure, $5 for Hockey. I know alot of the US shops charge more than that though. Our shop was ME trained as well, which jacks up the price in alot of aras.

9. Timmer44

Timmer44 Registered User

I worked sharpening skates for a while and almost all best hockey players have their skates sharpened at 3/4 to 7/8. A shallower hollow allows for longer glides. If your a begginner a deeper hollow 3/8 or 1/2 is better because it allows more confidence turning, but good luck stopping....

10. ALF AmericanLionsFan

ALF AmericanLionsFan Registered User

teacher
    Home Page:
    :biglaugh: I remember asking for a 5/8 sharpening and and I got a 1/2 or maybe a 3/8 and I about killed myself :eek:

11. sc37

sc37 Registered User

Home Page:
    Well I went in a couple times not telling the guys what I wanted cause it worked out ok before. But apparently 3/8 was what they usually use when you don't tell them -shrug- And yeah like Galvin, I bout killed myself :eek:

I prefer 7/16th. Sharpening is $3-$5 only around here.

12. Jacob

Jacob Registered User

Home Page:
    I've gone with 1/2 recently but have found that on real hard turns/pivots and stops (not frequently but just on occasion) my lead skate (usually left) kind of digs into the ice and "sputters" or "chatters." Am I correct in assuming that a more shallow 5/8 cut would be better for me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.