Skate pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choice

Nov 21, 2004
nyc
I had a pair of Baur 4000s from about age 14-20. They hurt the hell out of my feet, I felt like they were in a vice while I was sitting on the bench. So about two years ago I got a new pair of XV's, hoping they would relieve the pressure. I had my feet measured to see if I needed a bigger width, which wasnt the case.

Anyway, when I play in the XVs they still hurt pretty bad. This is when I tie them as tight as possible. If I tie them a little looser its not so bad, but then I have a worse feel for the ice under me.

Do I just need to find a happy medium between how tight I tie my skates?

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
I used to just skate the pain away until I had my skates molded to suit my feet. They do that in almost every sports shop atleast here in Finland

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
dude i have the same problem with my new skates, i just got new Nike skate 1 year ago and they hurt my feet for like 1 period but then the pain goes away. I dont know if this something that should happen, because my skates before which were like some Bauer skate my feet never hurt. But i do change my skates every 2-3 years so maybe my feet just cant get used to these skates!

RedK

Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Where do your feet hurt? If it's the top of the foot, then the gel bite inserts from Maltese Hockey would probably fix the issue. Or what about playing without socks? I've been told that can give you a better feel for the blade.

Choice

Nov 21, 2004
nyc
RedK said:
Where do your feet hurt? If it's the top of the foot, then the gel bite inserts from Maltese Hockey would probably fix the issue. Or what about playing without socks? I've been told that can give you a better feel for the blade.

Its around the middle of the foot

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Or try a different brand of skates. My first pair of skates were Bauer's and they made my heels bleed. Since then I have owned Nike's, Mission's and the Easton Synergy's and have not had a problem. I tried on the older Easton's and they hurt but the Synergy's did not so it isn't always the brand since technology changes.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
JohnnyChoice said:

This could be a number of things.

1 You are tieing you skates to tight.

2 You have a poorly fit skate. (seems unlikely since it's happened with 2 pairs now)

3 Your foot isn't meant for the skate you are using.

I'd try another brand. Go to a real good skate shop get a proper fit and tell them the problem you are having with the skates you are wearing now. See what they recomend and see how those skates feel.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
i had the same problem, I used Doctor Scholls shock doctor foot inserts instead of the ones that come with the skate and it feels much better

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Maybe you are tying them too tight. I get some pain if I don't wear my special pair of socks. They are actually soccer socks so I can wear them under my shinpads, but also they are thinner than most pairs of socks so it feels better. Bauers fit a bit narrower...I had Bauer in D width and now got CCM in D width, and my CCM's are soooo much nicer fitting.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
JohnnyChoice said:
I had that problem, but only in my left foot. Found out I was tying my left skate a little tighter than my right. I tie them looser but wear thicker socks.

nikebauer

Jul 21, 2005
Vancouver
JohnnyChoice said:
I had a pair of Baur 4000s from about age 14-20. They hurt the hell out of my feet, I felt like they were in a vice while I was sitting on the bench. So about two years ago I got a new pair of XV's, hoping they would relieve the pressure. I had my feet measured to see if I needed a bigger width, which wasnt the case.

Anyway, when I play in the XVs they still hurt pretty bad. This is when I tie them as tight as possible. If I tie them a little looser its not so bad, but then I have a worse feel for the ice under me.

Do I just need to find a happy medium between how tight I tie my skates?

Is it the entire skates or just certain pressure points that seem to cause you pain?

doom2

Feb 12, 2005
Kuopio
Well, I kinda think I had the same problem. I was also tightening my skates too much, so now I just snug them up a bit. But I tighten the skates real tight in the top 2 eyelets, which secures my ankle, and thus the whole foot nicely in the boot, without squeezing my foot so that it hurts. Maybe you should try that as well.

mini-mite fan

Feb 4, 2005
MN, USA
I have similar trouble - although, I never had trouble in my old skates. For me it's the tongue. My old custom supremes had a long break-in period(no bakin' skates back then) but then once they packed out to my foot they had these monglo-thick tongues that I could wrench down the laces as tight as I could with no pressure points.

My new skates got baked & I've had a relatively short break-in; but aside from needing to slightly bump up my arch support they fit perfectly. However, when I tighten the laces even medium tension - I feel aches on the top side (lace area) of my foot the next day, far worse when I really wrench 'em down (then I can get pain there while I'm skating).

I'm going to try and make a plastic insert or a strip of thick leather that can slide between my laces and the skates tongue to try and distribute the pressure more evenly. I don't know if this'll work, as I haven't had the time to try it. But it's a thought.

Anybody else have ideas - I'd appreciate hearing them.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
I have the same problem but with molded skates.

I also have gigantic feet, I wear a 15 Wide in American sizes..... as well I have no arch on my foot so I'm needing to wear orthotic inserts (which cuts down signifigantly on space) I originally bought a pair of long laces that were wax coated, and I found that I ran out of lace so the laces would end up being really tight, so I had to switch back to my stock laces which are longer, but not long enough.

Loosening the laces helps a lot, do it especially in the first 6 eyelets since tightness isn't an issue there -- as long as you have adequate support starting at the joint of the foot and up you should be fine.

However, I still get some kind of pain... anyone with tips would be welcomed, definitely.

Also, does anyone know where I could buy laces that are larger than 130"?

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
if the pain is in the middle of the foot right below the toes then you need there is an padded insert that helps level the footbed.

A guy bought skates from us last week and had the same problem.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
MeffyuhTJRest said:
if the pain is in the middle of the foot right below the toes then you need there is an padded insert that helps level the footbed.

A guy bought skates from us last week and had the same problem.
Do you have any information on this... especially about sizing, because i'm working with a lot less room in the boot due to the orthotic

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
sc37 said:
Maybe you are tying them too tight. I get some pain if I don't wear my special pair of socks. They are actually soccer socks so I can wear them under my shinpads, but also they are thinner than most pairs of socks so it feels better. Bauers fit a bit narrower...I had Bauer in D width and now got CCM in D width, and my CCM's are soooo much nicer fitting.

Wow, I had just the opposite thing happen! I tried a pair of CCM's, and they were so narrow my toes started to bleed from having the nails cut into other toes! And Bauers are nice and wide (for me, anyway). Weird.

Like everyone else, I would suggest getting the skate baked to form around your foot, and don't tie the laces as tight around the middle of your foot. You can tie them tight at the ankle, but leave the middle part of the skate a little looser to relieve pressure on that part of your foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad