Confirmed with Link: [SJS/TOR] Leafs trade F Barabanov to SJ for F Suomela

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Barabanov was a better player then he was ever given credit for. He did a lot of things right, and had way more skill than his bleak stats indicated. I always saw an NHL player in Bare. Happy to see he is doing so well. I am not sure I'd classify him as a pt/game player or even top 6 player. But clearly he can play. You have to tip your cap to Kyle Dubas on giving him and Mikko a shot elsewhere. We have developed an amazing reputation as being a conduit for overseas talent. Little things like this go such a long way. Lievo, Bare, and Lehtonen are some names that come to mind when it comes to KD giving a fair shake. No wonder why we keep getting these guys every year. Happy for Bare, hopefully he keeps it up

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Glad to hear Barabanov is thriving in San Jose. That's very good for the player, the Sharks and the Leafs. A win-win-win!

Helping Barabonov to advance his career elsewhere can only help the Leafs in the long run. He wasn't likely to crack the lineup here.

I'm much happier seeing a player like Adam Brooks -- who I really like -- squeeze under the wire for a few games instead.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I am happy that the Leafs gave him an opportunity some place else to thrive. Wonder how he would have played playing in our top 6. I dont believe he was ever given an opportunity for any prolonged time as he is right now in San Jose.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Very happy to see him thriving in SJ too - we had too much depth for him to get a strong role, sending him somewhere he'd get a real shot was the right thing to do.

I mean, look at our forward depth when 100% healthy, it's something like:

Foligno - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Thornton - Spezza - Simmonds

Healthy scratched: Nash, Robertson, Engvall, Brooks

It's a very tough team to make, 4 forwards who seem pretty NHL quality who won't make the cut. You can argue which 4 (i.e. maybe Nash in?), but we're still about 16 NHL forwards deep, Barabanov would just make it 17.

Same on D, where we're ~9 NHLers deep (Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Holl, Dermott, Bogo, Sandin, Hutton, Lily), and in goal where we're ~4 NHLers deep (Campbell, Andersen, Rittich, Hutch). Awesome to have this depth in case of injuries, but does mean that guys like Barabanov, who came over from the KHL specifically to get a shot (and could easily return) need to be given a chance elsewhere if they aren't fitting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciao

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I am happy that the Leafs gave him an opportunity some place else to thrive. Wonder how he would have played playing in our top 6. I dont believe he was ever given an opportunity for any prolonged time as he is right now in San Jose.
I mean he was given a chance with JT and Willy for a game I believe, and I do remember thinking he looked good in that game. I think it was more or less a matter of giving him a consistent role in something other than a 4th line

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
One side of me: He should have been playing over Vesey, he looked solid and skillful on the ice, he just needed to adjust and some degree of success when given proper ice was predictable.

Other side of me: Who cares, like Vesey he probably would have been waived, and doesn't have a clear spot on this roster when healthy.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I mean he was given a chance with JT and Willy for a game I believe, and I do remember thinking he looked good in that game. I think it was more or less a matter of giving him a consistent role in something other than a 4th line

Your right I remember that game. But we kept on giving Vesey opportunities. Oh well nothing we can do. God for him its working out.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Glad to hear Barabanov is thriving in San Jose. That's very good for the player, the Sharks and the Leafs. A win-win-win!

Helping Barabonov to advance his career elsewhere can only help the Leafs in the long run. He wasn't likely to crack the lineup here.

I'm much happier seeing a player like Adam Brooks -- who I really like -- squeeze under the wire for a few games instead.
Doesn't brooks Spezza and Thornton have more points than barabanov
He was way too timid in Toronto
I doubt san Jose signs him for next year
We have nice petan malgin Joey Anderson

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Not sure if it is a misprint or a coincidence of gigntic proportions.
I was looking up the goalie stats for the Marlies goalies

Ian Scott 1 GP 0 wins-1 loss 58 mins 4 goals allowed on 28 shots 4.17 Gaa with a .857 save %

Veini Vehvilainen 1 GP 0 wins-1 loss 58 mins 4 goals allowed on 28 shots 4.17 Gaa with a .857 save %

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sometimes it's just not an instant fit with a player and you have to do the catch and release if there's some understanding between the organization and player. Wouldn't be the first time a skilled cast off player finds their real footing with a team lower down in the standings who can get the minutes and responsibilities needed to thrive. Good to hear Barabanov is making the most of it, and I look forward to signing the next Barabanov this summer.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I went to highlights to see the goals he was involved with. He still looks like the same player we saw here: NHL level skating, solid on his skates, no outstanding offensive skills/creativity. He's got twice the ice time and power play time. The goals are the variety of goals Adam Brooks has scored this season: burying chances created by his teammates or luck. Again, all the best to the player and a big thumbs up to Dubas' good will gesture making this trade for the player.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
can i get a tryout please i will do better
Not sure if it is a misprint or a coincidence of gigntic proportions.
I was looking up the goalie stats for the Marlies goalies

Ian Scott 1 GP 0 wins-1 loss 58 mins 4 goals allowed on 28 shots 4.17 Gaa with a .857 save %

Veini Vehvilainen 1 GP 0 wins-1 loss 58 mins 4 goals allowed on 28 shots 4.17 Gaa with a .857 save %

Reactions: The Iceman

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Happy for the guy, but don't you guys remember average or below average players looking pretty decent on the rebuilding Leafs team just a few years ago? The Mason Raymond, Holland, Santorelli types?

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Happy for the guy, but don't you guys remember average or below average players looking pretty decent on the rebuilding Leafs team just a few years ago? The Mason Raymond, Holland, Santorelli types?

Did Holland really ever look good, though?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

HA, Holland never looked good in a Leaf uni IMO but I agree with you.
Add Winnik, P.A. Parenteau, Clarke MacArthur, fan fav Jay McClement

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I remember being hopeful at times :laugh: I'm going by point totals. I think he put up 30ish for a year or two.

Haha! Yes, I remember being hopeful too. Also hopeful when we acquired Carter Ashton...or was it Ashton Carter? Crazy to think how far we've come in upping the talent level of the roster in the past few years.

Reactions: Lumberg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3