Confirmed Trade: [SJS/BUF] Devin Cooley for 2025 7th round pick

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Absolutely shocked that our organizational 5th goalie got an actual draft pick and not future considerations.
The 7th rounder are unlikely to play a game. Cooley already beat that odd

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Grier truly does some weird shit. I have no clue what about Cooley makes anyone think this guy can be an NHL goalie.
After trading Kahkonen and with Vanecek and Blackwood injured we literally just needed some one to play goalie. Probably just acquired him for the local storyline. Not like we're trying to win games anyway.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
After trading Kahkonen and with Vanecek and Blackwood injured we literally just needed some one to play goalie. Probably just acquired him for the local storyline. Not like we're trying to win games anyway.
Many such candidates are out there that can be acquired for FCs or signed off the open market, or some team's AHL squad. I have no doubt that he threw a pick for him because of the storyline, but the fact that he's willing to throw picks away for stuff like that is precisely why I don't rate him highly as a GM at all

aircobra

May 4, 2013
Many such candidates are out there that can be acquired for FCs or signed off the open market, or some team's AHL squad. I have no doubt that he threw a pick for him because of the storyline, but the fact that he's willing to throw picks away for stuff like that is precisely why I don't rate him highly as a GM at all

Yeah, that 7th round pick sure is going to hurt the Sharks rebuild...

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Unlikely, but having a GM that continuously says to hell with value or asset management will
Grier was a Sabres. He still has connections via the alumni, which Pegula, as an owner, having made bad decisions, the alumni is not one of them.
To give you prespective, several former and current nhl players were asked about connections and feeling a bond to their current or prior organizations, to a man they all said former and current Sabres players have the strongest bond to that club, and it's because of the Alumni.

Cooley most likely expressed a desire to play closer to his childhood dream. The Sabres are known for attempting to facilitate players wishes when they can.

2 + 2 = Cooley in the Sharks Organization if he so desired. There's more to hockey than numbers, than business acumen. The people within the NHL, ya, they are people. Something that should not be forgotten.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad