Confirmed Trade: [SJS/ANA] Ducks trade D Henry Thrun to the Sharks for 2024 3rd round

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Knowing the Sharks he won't sign with them...why not toss another 3rd round pick into the abyss

Slightly baffled at the logic of refusing to play in Anaheim but (presumably) being willing to go to San Jose, but fair enough.

Not surprised.

For what it's worth, Mike Grier has worked with/for Henry Thrun's skating coach in the past. My guess is that they already have a pretty decent relationship.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Speculating that Anaheim wasn't willing to have him play in the NHL to burn a year, whereas maybe San Jose did offer this. Maybe Verbeek is putting his foot down and stating that positions need to be earned, which led Thrun to go somewhere to burn a year off.

Reactions: Ducks and Brodeur

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Why are people getting silly in this thread about people saying he will only sign in the East?... He very well could still... This was just for his rights

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Why are people getting silly in this thread about people saying he will only sign in the East?... He very well could still... This was just for his rights
Why would a player say they don't want to sign in Anaheim suddenly want to play in SJ, when they can literally sign anywhere?
People are questioning why the Sharks would make this move, unless they have some assurance that he will sign.
If you are a college UFA and there are like 6 teams within 500 miles of your hometown, why would you sign on the other side of the country after you told the other team that is in that part of the country that you weren't interested, especially considering both teams are clearly rebuilding bottom-feeders.
It's like, "oh he doesn't want Coca-Cola? We'll hook him with a Pepsi for sure."

Reactions: Cradorium

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
Have to assume San Jose have some reason to think Thrun will actually sign with them? Obviously he wasn't signing with Anaheim, so good for them recouping an asset i guess. It does seem curious to me that he'd sign with a different California team, but not the Ducks. Obviously it was more about being intimidated by the number of prospects in the system with the Ducks, and not about wanting to go to some specific team back east or in a more traditional market?

Not sure how much confidence i'd have in a prospect who is intimidated by the wide open field of meh that is the Ducks blueline.
The Sharks director of player development knows him well apparently according to a local beat writer. I'm sure they did their homework.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Getting a third is a good pick up for a guy you’re going to lose. I’m good with this

Glad Thrun gave the ducks some notice for this

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why would a player say they don't want to sign in Anaheim suddenly want to play in SJ, when they can literally sign anywhere?
People are questioning why the Sharks would make this move, unless they have some assurance that he will sign.
If you are a college UFA and there are like 6 teams within 500 miles of your hometown, why would you sign on the other side of the country after you told the other team that is in that part of the country that you weren't interested, especially considering both teams are clearly rebuilding bottom-feeders.
It's like, "oh he doesn't want Coca-Cola? We'll hook him with a Pepsi for sure."
Easy because playing opportunity is probably a factor for some players. Sure, Thrun could go to the NE but do any of them have open slots to get to the NHL in the immediate future like the Sharks do but the Ducks don't? That probably plays a huge part since there's a lot of money at stake for a kid out of college as a midround pick.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Upgraded a former 4th round pick to 3rd round pick, not bad.
By the time that 3rd round pick rolls around, it will have taken 5 years for it to become that from a 4th round pick. I'm not sure that's the best return on investment, considering the time elapsed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad