Confirmed Trade: [SJS/ANA] Ducks trade D Henry Thrun to the Sharks for 2024 3rd round

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Why would a player say they don't want to sign in Anaheim suddenly want to play in SJ, when they can literally sign anywhere?
People are questioning why the Sharks would make this move, unless they have some assurance that he will sign.
If you are a college UFA and there are like 6 teams within 500 miles of your hometown, why would you sign on the other side of the country after you told the other team that is in that part of the country that you weren't interested, especially considering both teams are clearly rebuilding bottom-feeders.
It's like, "oh he doesn't want Coca-Cola? We'll hook him with a Pepsi for sure."

Why did Jack McBain decline to sign in Minnesota then sign with Arizona after his rights were traded? McBain could have waited to be UFA on August 15, but he signed his two year ELC with Arizona and got to burn the first year immediately.

I don't think it's necessarily a geographical thing. As others said, the Ducks have a good D prospect pool so Thrun might be looking at it as the difference between making 70K in the AHL versus getting 925K in the NHL. Which was pretty much McBain's thought process. Wouldn't be shocked if there was some communication through back channels with the Sharks and Thrun.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
If he'll play for the Sharks this is a great pick up! I have no idea how his skill will translate to NHL, but there's a lot of potential there, he's been very productive in NCAA.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Competition. Easier road to the NHL in San Jose.
I don't know about easier road to the NHL (have you seen the Ducks D before the deadline?), but most likely a better chance of staying in the NHL. I can't see any purely LSD prospects making the NHL next season (LaCombe plays both sides), but Benoit probably has the bottom pair position already locked up, so it would be a 2nd pair LHD spot and Thrun probably knows he's not ready for that. Plus, he'll have to out play Minty, Zell, Benoit, Hinds, and probably eventually LaCombe on the left side.

I don't like cheering for a kid to fail, so I'll say I hope that all of the Ducks prospects turn out better than Thrun. Also, even though it's a division rival, I am glad it isn't another big market team getting free assets from smaller teams.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
3rd is what I wanted for him. Hope he doesn't sign with Sharks though and stays in the East.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Why would a player say they don't want to sign in Anaheim suddenly want to play in SJ, when they can literally sign anywhere?
People are questioning why the Sharks would make this move, unless they have some assurance that he will sign.
If you are a college UFA and there are like 6 teams within 500 miles of your hometown, why would you sign on the other side of the country after you told the other team that is in that part of the country that you weren't interested, especially considering both teams are clearly rebuilding bottom-feeders.
It's like, "oh he doesn't want Coca-Cola? We'll hook him with a Pepsi for sure."
Maybe he wants to actually play NHL games and sees a clear path with SJ to do so?

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
I am... confused. Not at this move, but at this thread. This is a pretty decent move for SJS. Besides Mukhamadullin the cupboard is essentially bare when it comes to D prospects. He'd instantly be the number 2 D prospect on the team.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I am... confused. Not at this move, but at this thread. This is a pretty decent move for SJS. Besides Mukhamadullin the cupboard is essentially bare when it comes to D prospects. He'd instantly be the number 2 D prospect on the team.

Great move by the Sharks, and glad the Ducks could get something for him as opposed to nothing. Just hate that it’s within the division.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Not too often you see a trade between division rivals that both fanbases approve of.
We both suck, the rivalry is not exactly heated at the moment lol.

GM Verbeek: Nice doing business with you, I hope the Sharks start winning some games.
GM Grier: Yes was a good deal, I hope the Ducks start winning some games !
Tank Wars !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad