2021 3rd Round Pick
2022 6th Round Pick

Edmonton:
2021 1st Round Pick
2022 2nd Round Pick
2022 4th Round Pick
James Neal
Rafael Lavoie

Edmonton gets a defenseman for their playoff run and to grow with McDavid/Drai.

Could be seen as redundant with Barrie already on the blueline, but I think it solidifies their top 4, and adds a veteran productive defenseman at around 5.5 mil a year, they also get rid of the neal contract.

Sharks get a nice forward prospect to add their pool, and a couple of draft picks to retool over the next couple of years.

Who says no? Who adds?

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Sharks pass I’d say. A 1st and moving from 6/4 to 4/2 rounders isn’t gonna cut it. Don’t need Neal and DW seems intent on SJ contending again next season.

Burns could be had but doubt for that.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think Holland isn't really looking to make that kind of deal. He is said to be willing to trade prospects, not picks since the Oilers have so few. Also, an older defenseman (36) signed for $8 Million a year for four more years doesn't quite fit in with the core players on this team. Lastly, the Oilers aren't likely to be looking for a RHD.

Their needs are pretty obviously a top six LW, a 3C, a second pairing LHD and an upgrade in goal. Burns is literally none of these.

Also Neal will be bought out and Holland won't have to deal any picks to make that happen.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Take out all the useless crap and this trade is Brent Burns (with retention!) for a low 1st

f***. No.

gach

Aug 2, 2018
San Jose
Brent Burns (30% retained)
2021 3rd Round Pick
2022 6th Round Pick

Edmonton:
2021 1st Round Pick
2022 2nd Round Pick
2022 4th Round Pick
James Neal
Rafael Lavoie

Could be seen as redundant with Barrie already on the blueline, but I think it solidifies their top 4, and adds a veteran productive defenseman at around 5.5 mil a year, they also get rid of the neal contract.

Sharks get a nice forward prospect to add their pool, and a couple of draft picks to retool over the next couple of years.

Who says no? Who adds?
Holland says no

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
Seems Burns is still doing well, but how much gas does he have in the tank? Good short term deal for the Oil, but I can't see Burns contract not ending up being an anchor.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The Oilers have 0 interest in Burns at his age and cap hit which goes until he is 40 years old. His contract is worse than Neals which ends in 2 years.

Why would the Oilers want to give up assets for Burns?

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
My mom said not to say anything of I can't say anything nice .

Oilers say This offer is Trash

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Burns is a rapidly depreciating asset with a horrible contract and term. He's fallen off the cliff over the last two years. As a Sharks fan I'd take this deal in a heartbeat.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
San Jose
Brent Burns (30% retained)
2021 3rd Round Pick
2022 6th Round Pick

Edmonton:
2021 1st Round Pick
2022 2nd Round Pick
2022 4th Round Pick
James Neal
Rafael Lavoie

Who says no? Who adds?

There's a possibility that both teams say no.

Burns probably says no. He submits a 3 team trade list every year. What are the odds he wants to go to Edmonton? I think Burns could have signed for more $$$ when he signed this contract and he took a team discount to stay in sunny California.

San Jose says no because they could surely get a lot more for Burns. They're probably going to want Edmonton to at least add Broberg. Possibly even more.

Maybe Edmonton says no because Burns is 36 now, will be 40 when his contract expires and with Klefbom coming back into the line-up next season; if anything they need a d-man who is better defensively.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Burns is a rapidly depreciating asset with a horrible contract and term. He's fallen off the cliff over the last two years. As a Sharks fan I'd take this deal in a heartbeat.

I don't think he's depreciated that bad. I think a large part of the problem is that the team as a whole has lost a few steps. I don't doubt that Burns is still capable of putting up impressive point totals on a strong team.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
I don't think he's depreciated that bad. I think a large part of the problem is that the team as a whole has lost a few steps. I don't doubt that Burns is still capable of putting up impressive point totals on a strong team.

His numbers have regressed to slightly above his first few years. Plus there's 4 additional years at 8 on his contract. It's a disaster for the Sharks with all their other terrible contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad