Sizing Hockey Gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I'm a rookie buying my hockey gloves for the first time. From what I understand you want your gloves to fit somewhat loosely. Is that true? Apparently this allows you to control the stick better than if the gloves are snug around your hands.

My hands are average size and everything I read says I should go with 14" gloves. They feel too big but I think that's because they don't feel like gloves usually feel.

I like the CCM stuff so I might spend the extra money and get the Vectors. Gloves seem like they'll be really important.

hckyguy14

When I would help people size gloves I would explain, to the adults that it is realy a matter of preference when choosing a hockey glove.

Idealy you want the gap between the hockey glove and the elbow pad to be small, just meeting eachother, and the tips of your fingers should go to the end of the glove, but others like some room.

I personaly use a glove with a small cuff so I can have maximum wrist movement.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
One thing I will say. Don't spend a ton of money on gloves. If you do make sure the palms are extremelly durable. I have found in most cases it's almost cheper to buy new gloves then it is to have the palms replaced on the old ones. But, make sure you are protecting yourself. I'd never sacrifice that.

Size wise hckyguy14 covered all the bases.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm 5'8", with kinda long fingers and I use 13 1/2 inch Eastons that are pretty roomy. Not sure they make 1/2 inch sizes anymore.

I have used Easton gloves my whole life and for comfort reasons wouldn't even consider another brand.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
I use a 14'' Louisville (TPS) Bionic glove and it's perfect. I think most adult gloves range from 13 to 15" if I'm not mistaken. If you think you have average size hands for an adult go with the 14s. Big hands 15 and tiny hands 13 obviously. But you are correct in saying that they should fit loosely for maximum movement. Plus, if you have to throw down with someone you want em to come off pretty quick.

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
Different gloves fit differently.

some are tight around the fingers, some are loose.
some have large cuffs, some have short cuffs.
and some of them feel like you cannot move you hands in them.

all companies make their gloves differently, likewise they all feel different. the only way you can really know what glove works best for you is to go try on as many as you can. here are a few guidelines- decide if you want a tight fitting glove or a loose fitting glove(try on the bauer vapor series and some eagle gloves and you will know what i mean), make sure that your fingers arnt jammed up at the ends, and try to have the palm of the glove match with the palm of your hand. what i mean by this is make sure that the cuff begins where your palm ends(doesnt need to be exact, but the closer the better) and while your fingers are not being smooshed. too large a glove will restrict your wrist movement, too small can restrict your finger movement and may be unsafe to play in.

hope that helps, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad