Sittler: He (Keon) Should at Least Do it For the Fans. He needs to be Honoured

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Please post a link where Keon has whined, he has not.

He was blackballed out of the NHL by the Leafs owner. He showed up at an alumni game where the players had to pay their own way there, Ballard was dead at this time. He loves the Leafs but has not liked the ownership groups. When he was watching his granddaughter play some games in the Toronto area, I saw him wearing a Leafs Jacket on many occasions.

Best Leaf player I have ever saw play....

Correct. In fact, Keon just wants to be left alone. It's the Leafs organization that wants him back.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Davey Keon is my favourite Leaf of all time and I grew up watching and following him.

If he returned to Toronto to be honoured in any way being it jersey or statue or simply organizational appreciation it would be great.

Like I said earlier that with Leafs centennial year on the near horizon it would be a great opportunity for Shanny and Lou to reach out and make Keon a part of the celebration as they recognize 100 years of Leafs history.

With new ownership and class act management now of board it would be a great opportunity to restore the past.

dave_keon.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Dave Keon, Toronto Maple Leafs reuniting for a night

Dave Keon — the longtime estranged Leaf great — has agreed to be part of the festivities on Saturday as the Maple Leafs honour the 50th anniversary of their 1963 Stanley Cup championship team.

The organization was able to get Keon to return for the 50th year anniversary of the Cup team so the 100 year anniversary of the franchise would be another landmark time.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I think they should save Keon for Leafs centennial year celebration and then honour him as the greatest Leaf of all time with a stature on legends row hoisting the Stanley Cup as captain of the 1967 team.

Oh absolutely, and you can be forgiven for mistaking him for being the Captain as on several levels even then he was in the minds eye of a considerable number of fans. And all due respect to George Armstrong. Keon was the glue (along with outstanding performances by Sawchuk, Pulford & others) that held it all together in that improbable 67 Cup win. It was Keon who in the dressing room was demanding total commitment to team defense first, amp'ing up Imlach's "system" as Toronto was seriously outgunned in the Semi's against Chicago; Montreal in the Finals. Armstrong was a much more laid back loquacious type, a bit of a joker. Helped take the edge off, intervened between the ever prickly Imlach & various players. Best Team of that era however was according to Keon (and others) the 63 version....

But sure enough, I watched his career unfold start-finish, seriously under-rated skater, extremely intelligent, everything youd want in a player. Ballard's treatment of Keon was beyond shabby as is well known here & documented elsewhere. Dave Keon represented the last vestige of the Smythe era, something Harold Ballard once he'd gained control attempted to eradicate on every level for over 20yrs. No one player or team past or present, Coach or GM was ever gonna steal the spotlight from Harold. Dave Keon represented everything Ballard despised about the tracks Conn Smythe laid down for the club, considered it his job to disassemble the entire works. He wasnt liked by Conn Smythe nor any of the long serving members on the Board. He knew it, knew they considered him little more than a Carny Barker, bad influence on heir apparent Stafford Smythe.

With new ownership and class act management now of board it would be a great opportunity to restore the past.

It would, absolutely, and Id like see him do it not for the organization per se' but at least for the fans. He has his reasons for being cynical as he like many of us just saw a continuum of disrespect & negligence combined with incompetence from Ballard~Stavro's~Teachers and now weve got Rogers/Bell large & in-charge. Yes theres fresh air in the sails, a dim light at the end of the tunnel after decades of madness but who's to say Shanahan & everyone else doesnt wind up swinging from the yard arm in a Boardroom power struggle despite their best efforts, even dare to dream, winning a Stanley Cup in 5yrs? So sure, optimistic but cautious. One cant help but be if youve been a Leaf fan for 30-40-50 years and as the "Ultimate Leaf", and one very proud of his & his teams accomplishments he has every right to be reserved, not quite so forgiving & effusive in his support of whatever latest Messiah's are hired by the vacuous & soulless corporate entities that ultimately control the clubs fortunes.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I hope Dave is honored. Have they made a statue of him yet? He should be front and centre. Dave needs to get over the Ballard years, the fans still want to adore him. Come back Dave, we need you!

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Some big Montreal insiders considered Keon the most important Leaf during those Cup years. Mahovlich was pretty good, but he was a guy that if you left him alone could sleep walk through the entire game.

I coached ole Frank, tennis, for one summer. Guy could have been the number one tennis player in the world. He literally learned every stroke in the game in our first session. But some days he would show up, and miss every single ball for an hour. One time I snapped and left the court it was so frustrating. Too much talent I guess. Too easy.

Keon was quiet in public but a LION in real life. Very intense, totally diametric opposite of what people thought he was like.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I am sure Keon has more signifficant reasons for his grudge but if it really is as petty as "I want my number retired instead of honored" then I couldn't care less if he is ever honored in any way shape or form.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
My all time favorite Leaf play is... Dave Keon #14.

He needs to have a statue erected and allow himself to be honored. I don't really like the retirement of team numbers unless there is a special circumstance to do so, such as what happened with Bill Barilko.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
My all time favorite Leaf play is... Dave Keon #14.

He needs to have a statue erected and allow himself to be honored. I don't really like the retirement of team numbers unless there is a special circumstance to do so, such as what happened with Bill Barilko.

Retiring numbers is the way all great players should be remember.....

Just as a reminder the number 99 is retired by the NHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Great guy, went to a hockey camp with his grandson at St Mikes as a kid, he made sure to show up one day and sign for everyone. Really hope he can get his number honored. Also props to Red Kelly who would just occasionally show up at the rink to catch up with buddies and talk to the kids, will always remember him showing me his cup ring. Those guys, plus Yuskevitch, Gilmour and Dryden are the nicest pros i've ever met.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Great guy, went to a hockey camp with his grandson at St Mikes as a kid, he made sure to show up one day and sign for everyone....

Thats a thoughtful gesture... he came up through St. Mikes as your probably aware playing for the Jr.B Buzzers (scored 7 goals in one game in 56 I think it was) & St.Mikes Majors Jr.A. Played 4 Playoff Games in his final year of Junior as a call-up to Sudbury of the old EPHL, made the Leafs later that summer/fall, went on to win the Calder, never looked back. Right out of the box following St.Mikes, that guy had all the tools. Mr. Perpetual Motion Foster Hewitt called him. Great skater, passer... both sides of the puck just total game. Deadliest Backhander I think Ive ever seen including over the past 40 odd years. Even late in his career, more than capable of stopping or beating the best one on one. Kind of player who could play Keepaway in a phone booth against Wayne Gretzky.... & win.... and no, Im not exaggerating. He was that good.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Thats a thoughtful gesture... he came up through St. Mikes as your probably aware playing for the Jr.B Buzzers (scored 7 goals in one game in 56 I think it was) & St.Mikes Majors Jr.A. Played 4 Playoff Games in his final year of Junior as a call-up to Sudbury of the old EPHL, made the Leafs later that summer/fall, went on to win the Calder, never looked back. Right out of the box following St.Mikes, that guy had all the tools. Mr. Perpetual Motion Foster Hewitt called him. Great skater, passer... both sides of the puck just total game. Deadliest Backhander I think Ive ever seen including over the past 40 odd years. Even late in his career, more than capable of stopping or beating the best one on one. Kind of player who could play Keepaway in a phone booth against Wayne Gretzky.... & win.... and no, Im not exaggerating. He was that good.

I agree.....hence why the Leafs should retire his Jersey...Great players deserved to have their Jersey Retired and not just a banner in the sky! Best Leaf player I have ever seen and its not even close!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yep, both him and Red had dressing room each named after them at the arena. My dads favorite leaf of all time, so I've heard a lot about him.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I agree.....hence why the Leafs should retire his Jersey...Great players deserved to have their Jersey Retired and not just a banner in the sky! Best Leaf player I have ever seen and its not even close!

Ya, I do agree with you, jersey #'s being Retired rather than Honored however... that policy was set years ago, the ship sailed, far too much water under the decks to reverse course now & re-do the whole she-bang. I and plenty of others disagreed with the club back in the day but to no avail. It is what it is and really, Ive come to be ok with it, the "Honor" as opposed to "Retirement" if you will. That a player has his name hoisted to the rafters, number secondary & still in play.

crkkh

Aug 13, 2010
Toronto
Watched Keon most of his career...he deserves his number retired...1 Calder...2 Lady Byngs...1 Conn Smythe Trophy...4 Stanley Cups...Captain...there isn't anyone more deserving...
It would be wonderful if he would do it for the fans that have followed the Leafs since his days...
As far as the requests from the Leafs...well from Ballard to the present regime...they are in it for the money...Keon becomes just another way for the team to market itself and 'Grow it's Brand'...
He has only ever requested his number be retired...perhaps that is the olive branch the present management needs to offer...:)

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
I would be beyond shocked if Keon's outrage at the Leafs has to do with a stupid # being retired rather then the logic of honouring the person who played. What has a # ever done for anyone? It's an inane concept and 'so Montrealish'......

The Leafs do it the right way. Deal with it.

Hopefully Dave Keon can see past whatever his issue is and rejoin the fold, if not that is his right. But I'm sure a # retirement for the consummate team player is the least of his concerns.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
He has only ever requested his number be retired...perhaps that is the olive branch the present management needs to offer...:)

Back in 2008 the Mississauga St.Mikes Majors did actually Retire Dave Keons' St.Mikes Buzzers & Majors #9. Apparently quite the emotional 30 minute ceremony. Dont know that he's actually "requested" it of the Leafs but I do know that he & a number of other Leaf Alumni do have a real issue with the "Honoring" rather than full-on "Retiring" of numbers. I remember reading a quote from Keon when asked about it, his response was "that bothers me, jut look around" (referring to Montreal & elsewhere).... Another quote from Ron Ellis on the subject: "One of the things that gets us Old Timers a little concerned, is you look at Frank Mahovlich's sweater (#27). And then another player (John Kordic, Dave Semenko, Bryan Marchment) who deserves to be in the NHL but doesnt have the same credentials as Frank Mahovlich is wearing it"....

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Back in 2008 the Mississauga St.Mikes Majors did actually Retire Dave Keons' St.Mikes Buzzers & Majors #9. Apparently quite the emotional 30 minute ceremony. Dont know that he's actually "requested" it of the Leafs but I do know that he & a number of other Leaf Alumni do have a real issue with the "Honoring" rather than full-on "Retiring" of numbers. I remember reading a quote from Keon when asked about it, his response was "that bothers me, jut look around" (referring to Montreal & elsewhere).... Another quote from Ron Ellis on the subject: "One of the things that gets us Old Timers a little concerned, is you look at Frank Mahovlich's sweater (#27). And then another player (John Kordic, Dave Semenko, Bryan Marchment) who deserves to be in the NHL but doesnt have the same credentials as Frank Mahovlich is wearing it"....

Ron Ellis is another guy that should be honoured by the Leafs. I'm surprised he would say something like this quote. He was another total and complete team player.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
If it's really about retiring vs honoring, then just leave the guy be. The setup for the Leafs is what it is. If that's a big issue then the status quo can stay what it is with Keon as well.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Ron Ellis is another guy that should be honoured by the Leafs. I'm surprised he would say something like this quote. He was another total and complete team player.

Ya, interesting on another level as well Preisst as Ron Ellis's #6 was actually Retired by the Leafs, as that had been Ace Baileys number. Ellis originally #8.... Ace Bailey as you know felled by Eddie Shore in 1933, career over. Worked as a Timekeeper at Maple Leaf Gardens for years & so admired Ron Ellis that he requested it be taken out of mothballs & worn by Ellis if he was willing which of course he was.... But yes, as per your earlier post and the "so Montreal'ish" etc :)laugh:)... well... this debates been floating around for decades and yes, now that its done, "Honor" but not "Retire", it is what it is & if you do it for Keon, then as I said, what about Apps? Kennedy? Broda? Bower? Horton? On & on & on. Ships sailed.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Ya, interesting on another level as well Preisst as Ron Ellis's #6 was actually Retired by the Leafs, as that had been Ace Baileys number. Ellis originally #8.... Ace Bailey as you know felled by Eddie Shore in 1933, career over. Worked as a Timekeeper at Maple Leaf Gardens for years & so admired Ron Ellis that he requested it be taken out of mothballs & worn by Ellis if he was willing which of course he was.... But yes, as per your earlier post and the "so Montreal'ish" etc :)laugh:)... well... this debates been floating around for decades and yes, now that its done, "Honor" but not "Retire", it is what it is & if you do it for Keon, then as I said, what about Apps? Kennedy? Broda? Bower? Horton? On & on & on. Ships sailed.

Yes I love that Bailey and Ellis story. A great hockey lore. Actually the forgiveness that Bailey showed Shore is another terrific story, such grace that is seldom seen.

The Leafs do it the right way IMO. Honour the player.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The Leafs do it the right way IMO. Honour the player.

Ya, Ive come to not only accept it but to also appreciate it though at first disturbed & disgruntled by the decision. But not for the reasons one might immediately assume... no.... see, I cant stand these double digit football numbers that guys have been permitted to wear since the 70's. You retire numbers, and in Montreal's case a classic, all the traditional numbers gone, no longer available. So if a guy was #4 in Junior, winds up in Montreal, has to be 44 I suppose because he cant be wearing Beliveaus' #. Bothers me. Dudes a Defenceman, not a frikin Linebacker. If I had my way, Id outlaw any skater wearing a number beyond 28. Defencemen? Cant wear a number beyond 8. Goalies? Take your pick; Starter your # 1 or 30 if you play fewer games over the season than does the Starter... Also the names on the backs. Get rid of it. Leafs should apply for a bye like the Yankee's. Playing for the name on the front & if someone doesnt know who a player is by their number then look it up online or buy a program...Serious hard~core Old School and I make no apologies for it.

Last edited:

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
For those of us old enough to see him play, he epitomized everything good about the 1960s Maple Leafs. They certainly didn't have the most talent, they had a terrible owner(s) but they demonstrated a grit and determination that was embraced by an entire country. Dave Keon was their centerpiece and soul. What he feels or has done since can never and should never take away from what he did on the ice. No Leaf that I have seen in my lifetime has been better or more important. Retire his number!!!!

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Keon was likely the last player to play with a straight stick.

Didn't Gilmour play with a straight stick?

A very proud man who feels that he deserves like his peers his Jersey hanging retired from the rafters and not just honored.

I would think it is time for the Leafs to repair the damage and retire his Jersey.

But they don't retire anyone's jersey (except for Bailey and Barilko), they honour them. I am not sure why Keon thinks he should be treated differently than everyone else.

He played in an all-star type game after Ballard died but then decided that new ownership was no different and washed his hands of the team. Despite that, he has appeared at two or three ceremonies over the last decade (honouring Cup winning teams). But for whatever reason he still seems to hold a grudge. He needs to get over it. hell, his own son worked for the team for decades (and might still work for them).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad