Celebrity Death: Sinead O’Connor

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
She def got cancelled back when Conservatives were out here cancelling people.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
She def got cancelled back when Conservatives were out here cancelling people.
conservatives say no and have. "

She was a unique talent that the system beat down and her own demons took over

It is interesting that some of the tributes here in the UK are being muted by the media

Lesser performers have gotten the tribute shows here in the UK

Last edited:

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
conservatives say no and have. " She was a unique talent that the system beat down and her own demons took over. It is interesting that some of the tributes here in the UK are being muted by the media

Lesser performers have gotten the tribute shows here in the UK
It's odd that she's being punished for being right. This is an odd little country where I used to live that rewards adultery by making you King and Queen Consort though.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It's odd that she's being punished for being right. This is an odd little country where I used to live that rewards adultery by making you King and Queen Consort though.
been here 25 years and it is a mad little country. One my buddies is suggesting they are not doing tribute shows because she might have done her self off and the last time channels did tribute shows for someone who did themselves--there was blow back

Reactions: Elvis P

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
One poster in this thread even wished cancer on her instead of suicide. Sick.
Is wishing suicide on her any better?
Some child dying from cancer, or someone being murdered (including by drunk/high drivers) or raped is tragic, not someone dying by their own hand.
Many of the greatest tragedies, like Romeo and Juliet, end in suicide. Suicide is absolutely tragic.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
It is absolutely unconscionable that, in this day and age, suicide is held in ANY stigma whatsoever. I've known people in indescribable pain, or people who have went through unspeakable life events decide they cannot continue. I disagree vehemently with them, because life, in my opinion, no matter how terrible, is still a privilege and a joy, but I understood their pain and their suicide is no way shape or form a negative blot on their character - other than I really really miss them. They were, truly, the best people I've known who probably cared way too much for their own good.

People suck.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
It is absolutely unconscionable that, in this day and age, suicide is held in ANY stigma whatsoever. I've known people in indescribable pain, or people who have went through unspeakable life events decide they cannot continue. I disagree vehemently with them, because life, in my opinion, no matter how terrible, is still a privilege and a joy, but I understood their pain and their suicide is no way shape or form a negative blot on their character - other than I really really miss them. They were, truly, the best people I've known who probably cared way too much for their own good.

People suck.
I'm not at all in agreement with suicide as a means to solve anything, but just like I'm not in agreement with many things, big or small. That said, there are countless things worse than taking one's own life, and certainly people can give at least good arguments for why it's sometimes the best option given that person's circumstances. There shouldn't be any more "stigma" against it than there should be against any other tragic and unfortunate action.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

People suck.
Its a bit more complex than that. Suicidal ideation is often the worst thing to the loved ones, to the children, to the family members that have to experience it first hand. For instance if you've had a mother that attempted suicide you recognize that pain, that immense pain. Sinead had many demons and spent a life with suicidal ideation and did expose her children to this one of whom did end up killing himself.

While I've certainly supported Sinead in the thread and offered her RIP if one does go down the suicide trail it leaves a stream of associate victims in path. Its indescribably painful for children to experience repeated and serial suicidal ideation of a parent they try to love. Worse the dependence that children need to have to a mother or parent means they are much more impacted. The whole sense of preservation, sanity, innocence, hope can be lost for children that have had to experience the absolute terror of a parent with suicidal ideation and attempts.

Yes suicide is the result of indescribable pain. It can also create it for others left behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There’s yet to be anything beyond speculation in terms of cause of death.

Reactions: Elvis P

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Seriously, get help.
You're the one who twisted what someone said with good intentions in order to make it sound "sick." I just flipped it around on you to show that it was wrong, and you not appreciating it seems to prove my point.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaaaaB's

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Its a bit more complex than that. Suicidal ideation is often the worst thing to the loved ones, to the children, to the family members that have to experience it first hand. For instance if you've had a mother that attempted suicide you recognize that pain, that immense pain. Sinead had many demons and spent a life with suicidal ideation and did expose her children to this one of whom did end up killing himself.

While I've certainly supported Sinead in the thread and offered her RIP if one does go down the suicide trail it leaves a stream of associate victims in path. Its indescribably painful for children to experience repeated and serial suicidal ideation of a parent they try to love. Worse the dependence that children need to have to a mother or parent means they are much more impacted. The whole sense of preservation, sanity, innocence, hope can be lost for children that have had to experience the absolute terror of a parent with suicidal ideation and attempts.

Yes suicide is the result of indescribable pain. It can also create it for others left behind.
I agree that suicide is NOT the answer - never said otherwise.

But it IS a tragedy and should not impute any sort of moral stigma.

Cancer is a tragedy.

A car accident is a tragedy.

Death is tragic. That is all that I am saying. The people I've known who have willingly crossed to the other side held immense pain for a very, very long time in their lives. All were subject to pain that wasn't their fault or choice, the same as the very tragic events I list above.

Watching a parent battle cancer for ten years and then die is horrific. Having a parent fail to come home, otherwise healthy and happy because a person illegally turned left is horrific. I agree with what you are saying other than there is no stigma for any other "non-old age" death" there shouldn't be one for suicide.

I don't want to derail the thread further but anyone who stigmatizes suicide doesn't have my respect. Sorry.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree that suicide is NOT the answer - never said otherwise.

But it IS a tragedy and should not impute any sort of moral stigma.

Cancer is a tragedy.

A car accident is a tragedy.

Death is tragic. That is all that I am saying. The people I've known who have willingly crossed to the other side held immense pain for a very, very long time in their lives. All were subject to pain that wasn't their fault or choice, the same as the very tragic events I list above.

Watching a parent battle cancer for ten years and then die is horrific. Having a parent fail to come home, otherwise healthy and happy because a person illegally turned left is horrific. I agree with what you are saying other than there is no stigma for any other "non-old age" death" there shouldn't be one for suicide.

I don't want to derail the thread further but anyone who stigmatizes suicide doesn't have my respect. Sorry.
Just for clarity I was not stating suicide shaming or stigma.

I am just stating that a person that either commits or attempts suicide leaves a wake of pain in their midst. Often unshakable pain.

Sinead O Connor DECIDED to be a mother of 4 children. Its my view that having children is a contract with life and ensuring that you will be there to tend and support that life which you brought into the world. For lack of better words its a contract with your progeny that they have even that commitment from you that you want to exist.

Suicidal ideation is commonly not a recency thing. Quite often the person has experienced suicidal ideation most of their life. sometimes as well heavily depressed people will undertake being parents hoping to shake their depression and "give them something to live for" Its still a real raw deal for the children though who suffer immense pain from all the suicide attempts and experiencing it or hearing about it.

Like I say when it enters into the contract of deciding to have children the issue becomes much more complex and certainly isn't victimless.

Shame is a meaningless construct that is heavily opinion oriented. The concept of Victims being present vs victimless action is more clear. Thus my introducing that concept.

Anyway probably not a theme I want to continue in the thread. Thanks for reading.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t know about that one, you don’t die of natural causes at 56

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I don’t know about that one, you don’t die of natural causes at 56
I think that what's meant here is that her death wasn't the result of something she did specifically at that moment. Yes, her body likely finally gave out because of how she had lived for many years, and if she hadn't done those things then she would've probably live longer. It was the "natural" result of many years of a life that had damaged her health.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think that what's meant here is that her death wasn't the result of something she did specifically at that moment. Yes, her body likely finally gave out because of how she had lived for many years, and if she hadn't done those things then she would've probably live longer. It was the "natural" result of many years of a life that had damaged her health.
I can see that view of it, typically when you hear ‘natural causes’ it’s usually a non-answer. Some event or condition has to trigger your body to stop functioning though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad