• Catton

• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I don't see them moving up to get Lindstrom because there's just not enough seperation with the other forwards, and there would still be a 50/50 chance Columbus doesn't take him.

But if Chicago doesn't take Demidov then I could see a strong push to trade with Anaheim to grab him.

It's painful to know we could have just drafted a better player in Michkov last year and got our defenseman this year...

sigh......................

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
yes, they project to hopefully be core players, which is different than actually being future core players.
No one has a crystal ball with respect to the weather, the stock market or the future development/impact of young draft aged hockey player unless you’re drafting a McDavid. But hopefully your staff has done its homework other than riding the train known as the Consensus Express.

Reactions: Runner77

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It's painful to know we could have just drafted a better player in Michkov last year and got our defenseman this year...

sigh......................
And if Dach was healthy we might've ended up in a draft position where all those top Ds are gone.

But honestly I'm not sold on Michkov, especially in terms of being the best pick instead of player. Like for example Nashville picked the best player when they drafted Radulov, but it was far from the best pick they could've made because a lesser player that would actually be a core piece for them would've been better.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
And if Dach was healthy we might've ended up in a draft position where all those top Ds are gone.

But honestly I'm not sold on Michkov, especially in terms of being the best pick instead of player. Like for example Nashville picked the best player when they drafted Radulov, but it was far from the best pick they could've made because a lesser player that would actually be a core piece for them would've been better.

Are you referring to #CHaracter?

• Haha
Reactions: Kaladin and Habs

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I'm beginning to change my mind with small players. They all are skilled, sometimes scoring machines, but this is just one of the ingredient of a successful team, and the easiest to acquire (when in small size). It seems now every year, there is a small skilled player available at the draft past pick #15.

Drafting Caufield was ok at 15, but teams need an abundance of size and grit coupled with talent, and this is rarely available outside of top 10.
Meanwhile Dallas have drafted all their large forward outside the top 15 ;)

I think large sized or not the two main traits you need with top prospects is talent, compete and work ethic. The size is just a nice plus. If we can get Demidov we should be very excited.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rozz and HabbyGuy

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Silayev should be going top 4 based on all the information we have as of this moment.
Yes, it seems like Arizona(oups Utah) are also VERY interested in him. I would look to trade down 1 or 2 positions to let a team get their top ranked defenseman and then draft Iginla.

Reactions: FloJack

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Are you referring to #CHaracter?
No idea what you mean by that, but if drafting Michkov leads to him only playing 154 games for you like Radulov played for Nashville then it was the wrong pick to make even if he was the best player. If Michkov indicated to us he wasn't interested in playing for us and we picked him anyways, got less then 200 games before he forces his way somewhere else then it would've been a terrible pick to make and a massive blunder on Hughes's part even if Michkov was a ppg superstar.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
No idea what you mean by that, but if drafting Michkov leads to him only playing 154 games for you like Radulov played for Nashville then it was the wrong pick to make even if he was the best player. If Michkov indicated to us he wasn't interested in playing for us and we picked him anyways, got less then 200 games before he forces his way somewhere else then it would've been a terrible pick to make and a massive blunder on Hughes's part even if Michkov was a ppg superstar.

It depends how deeply you want to delve into this...

There is risk with drafting Russians in general, so then perhaps we also pass on Demidov, Silayev, etc.

Having good interviews and seeming like a nice guy also doesn't mean they will be a good player.

This is all basically speculation, unless there is something we don't know about Michkov or X player.

Now.. what we do know is the following:

Matvei Michkov has set several scoring records in the KHL:

In the 2022-23 season, Michkov recorded 20 points in 27 games, the highest point-per-game average (0.74) for a draft-eligible player in KHL history

In the 2023-24 season, Michkov was on pace to break the KHL's U-20 scoring record held by Kirill Kaprizov. Kaprizov scored 20 goals, 22 assists, and 42 points in 49 games with Salavat Yulaev Ufa in 2016-17, the most ever for a U-20 player in the KHL. Michkov finished the season with 19 goals, 22 assists and 41 points in 48 games, just shy of tying Kaprizov's record.

Michkov currently has the highest single-season point-per-game output of any U-20 KHL skater (minimum 10 games) since the 2008-09 season.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

There is risk with drafting Russians in general, so then perhaps we also pass on Demidov, Silayev, etc.

Having good interviews and seeming like a nice guy also doesn't mean they will be a good player.

This is all basically speculation, unless there is something we don't know about Michkov or X player.

In the 2022-23 season, Michkov recorded 20 points in 27 games, the highest point-per-game average (0.74) for a draft-eligible player in KHL history

In the 2023-24 season, Michkov was on pace to break the KHL's U-20 scoring record held by Kirill Kaprizov. Kaprizov scored 20 goals, 22 assists, and 42 points in 49 games with Salavat Yulaev Ufa in 2016-17, the most ever for a U-20 player in the KHL. Michkov finished the season with 19 goals, 22 assists and 41 points in 48 games, just shy of tying Kaprizov's record.

Michkov currently has the highest single-season point-per-game output of any U-20 KHL skater (minimum 10 games) since the 2008-09 season.
And from what I am reading Demidov has higher upside.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
And from what I am reading Demidov has higher upside.

That might be the case.

After all, Ivan Demidov set the record for most points in a season by a U18 player in the MHL (Russian Junior Hockey League). In the 2022-23 season, Demidov recorded 64 points (19 goals, 45 assists) in 41 games, surpassing Matvei Michkov's previous record of 1.82 points per game set in 2021-22.

However what Michkov has done in the KHL is more impressive, no doubt about it.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Being one of his biggest boosters over the past few years (and taking a lot of flak for such support) if we have a chance to draft one of Buium, Dickinson or Yakemchuk in exchange for Mailloux, I'm doing it tomorrow.
In the event we stand pat…..we have an excellent opportunity to draft an impact player at #5 & a very good prospect with the Winnipeg pick. The prospects you mentioned will be in an NHL arena near you soon. Last summer people were projecting Dickinson #1 OA, he’s very talented.

Reactions: Scriptor

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I really don't want to keep talking about Michkov, but there is for sure stuff we don't know about Michkov and his interviews with the Habs. It could be good or bad info we don't know but not knowing doesn't mean we can pretend there weren't red flags. If there were red flags like him not wanting to sign with us then we for sure made the right choice in not drafting him no matter how much he produces.

As for his KHL stats, doesn't the fact that he still can't even make SKA as a regular tell you something. How many star Russian players had to be constantly loaned out to other KHL teams because they couldn't crack the main team's roster.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That might be the case.

After all, Ivan Demidov set the record for most points in a season by a U18 player in the MHL (Russian Junior Hockey League). In the 2022-23 season, Demidov recorded 64 points (19 goals, 45 assists) in 41 games, surpassing Matvei Michkov's previous record of 1.82 points per game set in 2021-22.

However what Michkov has done in the KHL is more impressive, no doubt about it.
No point in lamenting Michkov now. Let's see what he does in the NHL. We won't know if we got the right pick for years.

And we also don't know if he wanted to come here in the first place. It certainly seems like he had places he wanted to go and not to go.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I really don't want to keep talking about Michkov, but there is for sure stuff we don't know about Michkov and his interviews with the Habs. It could be good or bad info we don't know but not knowing doesn't mean we can pretend there weren't red flags. If there were red flags like him not wanting to sign with us then we for sure made the right choice in not drafting him no matter how much he produces.

As for his KHL stats, doesn't the fact that he still can't even make SKA as a regular tell you something. How many star Russian players had to be constantly loaned out to other KHL teams because they couldn't crack the main team's roster.

Fair but one is a regular in the KHL, one is a regular in the MHL.

Anyway it is what is is, we shall see.

No point in lamenting Michkov now. Let's see what he does in the NHL. We won't know if we got the right pick for years.

And we also don't know if he wanted to come here in the first place. It certainly seems like he had places he wanted to go and not to go.

Fair.

We don't know the same of Demidov as well.

(In reference to people saying they would trade at a chance to get him at #2)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yes, it seems like Arizona(oups Utah) are also VERY interested in him. I would look to trade down 1 or 2 positions to let a team get their top ranked defenseman and then draft Iginla.

I want to be paid to take Iginla, I don't wanna take him at 5. So yeah if worst case scenario manifests then Arizona has tons of 2nds so the swap would be worth it for them to not have another team jump them for Silayev

• Haha
Reactions: Naslund and FloJack

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No one has a crystal ball with respect to the weather, the stock market or the future development/impact of young draft aged hockey player unless you’re drafting a McDavid. But hopefully your staff has done its homework other than riding the train known as the Consensus Express.
At least Hughes seems confident in his projections.

But whether we draft Lindstrom, Iginla, Sennecke, or Catton, we could be drafting the next Galchenyuk or Kotkaniemi, who will just fizzle out. Thank god we have this management group in place to make the selection.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think they'll chat to Anaheim about 3, especially if Chicago goes with Levshunov at 2. But that would be to secure Demidov. If Demidov is gone, then I think you sit there and hope CBJ is going with Silayev.

Because paying to go to 3 to get Lindstrom is a bit rich and if CBJ ruins your day by going Lindstrom, we will get good offers to slide down and just take Iginla or Sennecke who we should have an opportunity to pick one of the two and get paid to do it.

Rich or not rich, if I think Lindstrom has big separation from Iginla and Sennecke, I pay up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm thinking it would be costly to move up. but we certainly have the capital do do it. I'm all for it! Do your thing Hughes!!

Just don't use Guhle to do it. Mailloux is fine if need be.
What if it costs Engstrom?

Other scenario: would you use Engstrom plus the WPG pick to move up with the 2nd Habs pick and nab Sennecke?

Reactions: Rozz and HabbyGuy

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We have a ton of picks so we don’t really
Need to trade down. I’d rather stay at 5 even if Lindstrom is gone and just take who we want.
I can live with that and in the scenario where Lindstrom and Demidov are taken, Iginla is more than a good selection.

I would however explore moving up using the Peg pick and assets, esp. if there is a run on D and it causes quality forwards to drop in the 11-15 range.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
What if it costs Engstrom?

Other scenario: would you use Engstrom plus the WPG pick to move up with the 2nd Habs pick and nab Sennecke?
For Sennecke? Lol, that must be a joke. I've watched Sennecke vids and wasn't impressed. If you say Lindstrom or Demidov I could agree. But Iginla is just fine with me, I like him a lot. The vids I watched if Iginla the opposite teams were better than Demidov. It seems like Demidov can skate thru traffic so easy in his league, it's far from nhl's reality. Iginla played in a league that looks more like nhl (rink size, physical play, etc).

Reactions: cphabs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad