Value of: Signing UFA Andreas Athanasiou

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
He shows you flashes of game breaking talent, but doesn't have the drive to put in the consistent effort to be a true top 6. He is more engaged as a center, but not really good enough defensively to be there. To maximize AA you give him a lot of even strength minutes with two really solid defensive forwards and dmen that can make a solid outlet pass. If you can get him the puck in transition, he'll get points. He's also not a PP guy. His offensive game is all transition and dangle. It doesn't work when you shrink the ice. Someone could get a steal if they can sign him for like 1.5 mil but he is really going to have to work to prove his attitude changed before anyone will give him more than 1 year deals.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
lol the oilers offered him 2 x 2 before he became a ufa, big woof for him.
Yup although for him I think the role is more important. He probably thinks he should get 5+ million eventually so he'd need top six and PP time to get there. We were offering a lesser role and the chance to move up if he earned it

BeastMode97

Jan 4, 2015
Yup although for him I think the role is more important. He probably thinks he should get 5+ million eventually so he'd need top six and PP time to get there. We were offering a lesser role and the chance to move up if he earned it

Yea I agree that the role is everything. The thing is, with the Oilers lack of winger depth at the time and Hollands extra incentive to make him work out (given all that they paid for him), the fit was certainly there for AA. He would have been competing with the likes of Kassian, Ennis, Puljujarvi and Neal (this was prior to the Kahun signing) for the open 2 winger slots in the top 6. If he doesn't have the confidence to take one of two open slots against those options, I feel bad for him. One line centered by 97 and one by 29. You have two elite centerman he had a great chance to play with.

I for one would have loved to give him another chance. He got injured in his second game here. I don't believe he ever completely recovered from that given the playoff push at the time. After time of to heel, he was the Oilers 4 best forward in the play-in series. He didn't produce offensively but he was generating lots of good chances. Thats just being snake-bitten for the time being.

I have a hard time believing that he got overly discouraged with his lack of production while injured over a small sample size. I think he genuinely saw the chance to hit the open market at a young age and severely underestimated the severity that COVID had on the contracts given out. I think a team will sign him to a 1 year, $1.5 deal and will like what they get. Realistically, his 30 goal campaign was an outlier and I think he is more likely a 30-45 pt 3rd line winger who can play up this lineup when needed.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
AA is well worth it for someone. Sure, he isn't the best defensively and his attitude has been called into question before, but the guy has bags of ability and is one of the fastest in the league. At anything under 2.5mil he's a potential steal, and if it doesn't work out, you haven't screwed yourself.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Needs to go a team that will throw him on their second or third line and let him carry the puck 99% of the time or he's just a waste of space.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
AA is well worth it for someone. Sure, he isn't the best defensively and his attitude has been called into question before, but the guy has bags of ability and is one of the fastest in the league. At anything under 2.5mil he's a potential steal, and if it doesn't work out, you haven't screwed yourself.

That's how he lures you in. Talent wise, you're absolutely right. But he's simply not a player you win with. Maybe he gets humbled at some point from having to scrounge for pennies on deals... but AA as the player and person he is? Nope, 2.5M would be rich for a guy like that.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I don't think he's selfish. He just has no idea how to play away from the puck. Offensively or defensively.

He also makes plays with the puck like in the play in round where when breaking out of his own zone he decided to blast the puck as hard as he could ten feet wide of his center who was six feet away.

Dude needs to see a wizard because he's clearly brainless.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
AA is one of those players I just can't really understand. It's like there's SPEED SO FAST GOGOGO, but when out of that mode, then he is a hindrance, I'm not sure if he understands what the coaches are asking of him.
He is probably signing a PTO or for like 700K. Sucks for him - great for GMs who love to overpay at UFA.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
AA is not good enough be a 2nd line player, but so one dimensional he doesn't fit in bottom 6 role. He needs to take a 1y 1m deal on a bad team and actually show effort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad