Confirmed with Link: Siegenthaler to NJ for 2021 3rd Rounder (Arizona pick)

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Has a GMBM drafted prospect developed yet? I think GMBM is batting 0% with draft picks

The collective contributions of ALL Capitals draft picks from the past 6 years are some games from Samsonov with varying degree of success and... Siegenthaler, who we just traded away for a 3rd round pick.

I know finding NHL players in the draft is not easy but come on. You can do better than that.

Reactions: dh99

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
Really hoping this is about cap space...but it opens up so little...sheesh.
If something else isnt in the wings (in the next 24 hours), then Id prefer
Siegs had gotten a chance to compete in training camp against the 'up and comers'...
unless of course he requested this.
We shall see...

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Its ok value for the time. His time was up here, we might end up (as Fever already passing him and AA on the line next)just burying him in AHL/7thd forever and let him walk when the RFA status ups. That would really have not benefited us or Jonas.

Siege gets to play hockey again and we get a pick. GL.

And its not that terrible of a waste for 2nd round pick. We got 97 games and a 3rd for it. Could have done much worse.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Assuming they needed cap space for another move, Siegenthaler made the most sense to move as someone who's contract wouldn't result in a net negative value AND who wasn't part of the regular lineup.

I think his value has been higher in the past, and would potentially be higher in the future, but considering likely context around the team right now, a 3rd is reasonable and I'm OK with it.

(All assuming there is another move incoming. If not... well than that will be a big failure.)

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
With the savings from Panik, I believe this gives the Caps enough cap space to trade Vanacek for Bernier with 50% salary retained plus make an additional trade for either Glendening or Laughton with 50% salary retained.

Last edited:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
My reluctance to trade Siegenthaler was solely based on the depth/insurance he provided at that position. As I've noted previously, there have been seasons in recent memory where the Caps used in excess of 10 defensemen during a season due to injuries etc.. Just looking past this season, the Caps may lose Chara and another member of the D-corps via the expansion draft. This is where I thought the resigning of TVR was a great move and realistically only viewed Siegenthaler as 7 dman next season with the likes of Fehervary finally arriving for good. In all of this, I totally forgot about Kempny. Kempny will return next season and perhaps his progress in recovering from his injury is what prompted BMAC to feel more comfortable in moving Siege.

I don't think many if any envisioned Siege seeing the ice again this season and especially not come the playoffs. Next season the Caps dcorps may consist of the following
Carlson
Orlov
Schultz
Kempny
Jensen
TVR
Fehervary
Chara may be gone via retirement or decides to move to another team
Dillon could be left unprotected along with Kempny, Jensen and TVR and could be gone. Still leaves the Caps with 7 defensemen for next year.

Last edited:

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Fair for Siegs. He gets a chance to play more and had really no spot here after Chara signed. I like the guy and wish him well. A NJD 3rd isn't too bad. It won't matter anyway because the rebuild will be in place by the time the 3rd ever becomes a remote reality or it's traded in another trade.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
For the depth pov, Kempny should be ready to get out of the ltir when playoffs start, right.? So we still have depth.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I would have requested a trade if I were Siegenthaler. Defense not playing the greatest and you still don’t get a sweater. That theory would make sense.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Deep down, I think we all knew that something would have to give on defense eventually with the quantity of prospects they have. Djoos was shipped out last year, and Siegenthaler this year. The value is pretty lukewarm at best (cost controlled young D for a 3rd rounder), but the timing suggests there is something more afoot prior to the deadline that may change the perception of this deal. This does raise a bit of eyebrows considering Dillon's recent lackluster play and Chara's age and expiring contract, as Siegenthaler would have seemed to be the heir apparent to either of them as a relatively "safe" LD and PKer.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not surprised at all. Wasn't really that impressed with his game. 3rd is OK return if you consider him a speculative 2nd round pick that didn't quite pan out, or fit on the roster.

IIRC GMBM tends to make his moves early, often the day before the TDL. This could wrap up today.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Thought Siegs was a moderately good PK'er, but the rest of his game was nothing spectacular. As a stay-at-homer, the lack of speed wasn't a major weakness but in the overall scheme of this slow team, I'm sure it didn't help him get ice over his competition.

Have to hope freeing up a little extra salary space and a roster spot were also considerations that led to this move. How much of this maneuvering is positioning for TDL and how much getting ready for next season? We'll see.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
A 3rd round pick is almost always not an NHL player. 9 chances out of 10 the Caps gave him away for nothing. He had more value as a player than as a chip to get a draft pick. This is collateral cost for getting Chara.
Disagree, he was #8 and now Kempny is skating. Plus just like when they traded Stephenson they put a guy that’s been a good soldier in a good situation and players notice this.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
A little cap space and less distraction from guys who are frustrated. Siegs will get a chance in NJ. I predict he underwhelms and tops out as a 3rd pair/PK guy. 3rd rounder is meh, but can be added to another deal. I'm hoping for one of BMac's unforseen nice trades.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeyMattyB and g00n

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Disagree, he was #8 and now Kempny is skating. Plus just like when they traded Stephenson they put a guy that’s been a good soldier in a good situation and players notice this.

Lets not get excited about Kempny. He was getting scratched before this latest injury. He has torn a hamstring and an achilles. I will be pleasantly surprised if he is ever a viable NHL player again.

Reactions: HeyMattyB and g00n

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
Jakub Vrana, Vitek Vanecek, and Ilya Samsonov are all currently on the Capitals roster.
I wouldn't reallllllly consider Vrana or VV his picks. What did he come in, a month before the draft? I'm sure he was probably relying mostly off of previous scouting and plans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad