Sid Crosby's impressive Even Strength production since 2022-23

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
uhhhh, any chance you could post the per games for anyone over..... like 500 games played? gotta see how my oft-injured heroes stack up.

oh damn, also, if you really wanna be the coolest, maybe limit it to games played under maybe 36 years old so old Jags and guys like him dont get shitkicked by Time?

is this possible?
I wish I could, but that was a manual calculation. I intend to automate it at some point, but unfortunately it'll take some time.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
With a really good powerplay he could probably still pop off for 120 pts.

He barely did it at 19 years old in a league where while scoring was 5% lower, PP/PP0 were juiced through the roof (35% and 61% higher respectively than this past season. Obviously not happening at 36 in a league where the team with the most PPO had 180 fewer than the league leading 2006-2007 Penguins.

Last edited:

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Wouldn't say never. Definitely since the past few years where he's lost his burst and ranged shooting. But he was an elite setup man on the PP for the first 14 years.

They also kind of use him wrong. He's the best deflector in the game, and really haven't used him down low throughout his career.
Best deflector in the game? You mean like net front? Over my guy kreider? No.

Sid is clearly an all timer, people are talking about him as t5 all time. He doesnt have to be the best at every single skill. It is enough for him to simply be awesome at one specific thing without always claiming him to be the best at that thing.

• Haha
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
He barely did it at 20 years old in a league where while scoring was 5% lower, PP/PP0 were juiced through the roof (35% and 61% higher respectively than this past season. Obviously not happening at 36 in a league where the team with the most PPO had 180 fewer than the league leading 2006-2007 Penguins.
Hard to say really.....he was 19 when he scored 120, not 20. Not many players are at their peak at 19......and he really wasn't either, problem is his injuries hit right when you'd expect him to be at his peak.

When he was 23-25 years old going through his injuries, he was dwarfing the competition in terms of PPG, basically pacing at 130-140pts over a full season. And that's in lower scoring years than his 120 as 19....the years he was doing that scoring was down 13-14%. HUGE DISCLAIMER - of course that is PPG and pace, you can't really go to far with that and could he have kept it up the full year....who knows.

He scored 94pts this year though, with a lethal power play rather than the worst in the league (which he needs to share some of the blame of course)...he most certainly would have scored more.......120pts is a bit of stretch though.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016

Sid is clearly an all timer, people are talking about him as t5 all time. He doesnt have to be the best at every single skill. It is enough for him to simply be awesome at one specific thing without always claiming him to be the best at that thing.
They are very different players when it comes to how they get their deflections. Crosby is more from the side of the net, sometimes at a steep angle. In those situations he is the best I have seen. Kreider is more your typical heals on the crease net front guy (and there is added value there as a screen). Just different types of players. I think Pavelski would have a say in it too if we were saying "who is the best".

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Hard to say really.....he was 19 when he scored 120, not 20. Not many players are at their peak at 19......and he really wasn't either, problem is his injuries hit right when you'd expect him to be at his peak.

When he was 23-25 years old going through his injuries, he was dwarfing the competition in terms of PPG, basically pacing at 130-140pts over a full season. And that's in lower scoring years than his 120 as 19....the years he was doing that scoring was down 13-14%. HUGE DISCLAIMER - of course that is PPG and pace, you can't really go to far with that and could he have kept it up the full year....who knows.

He scored 94pts this year though, with a lethal power play rather than the worst in the league (which he needs to share some of the blame of course)...he most certainly would have scored more.......120pts is a bit of stretch though.

Yes, I’ll correct age 20 to age 19. Other than that, not interested in the usual rehash about his age 23-25 years. I’m merely commenting on someone saying that at age 36, if he was on a more effective PP unit, he would probably pop off for 120. That is absolutely ludicrous, to the point where I wonder if it is another attempt at creating the illusion that Crosby was a world beater from beginning to end.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Yes, I’ll correct age 20 to age 19. Other than that, not interested in the usual rehash about his age 23-25 years. I’m merely commenting on someone saying that at age 36, if he was on a more effective PP unit, he would probably pop off for 120. That is absolutely ludicrous, to the point where I wonder if it is another attempt at creating the illusion that Crosby was a world beater from beginning to end.
I don't disagree....120 is a stretch, but I think 100-110 is reasonable expectation with good powerplay. If he had Kucherov's power play stats (which is unrealistic of course), he would have been at 124pts.....so you'd basically need him to be near the top PP producer in the league to hit 120.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Could and would are not interchangeable. I also said a really good PP, not just "more effective". Yes those are incredibly lofty numbers but he's still nearly a 100 point player even with the shit powerplay. He's already basically breaking records for someone his age, it's not out of the realm of possibility that with a PP operating at ~22-24%, he could be up there. Sans special teams, he was up there with the likes of Panarin in terms of 5 on 5 production.

The point was to commend Crosby for still being incredible at this age, and that his numbers could be even better, excuse me for pumpin the tires a bit. Again, lofty numbers. But hey, you got me! You saw that big juicy 120 and couldn't help but debunk me, good work.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Worth mentioning that he also has the 9th most ES goals against (for forwards) over this same time frame. 54% ES GF% is still a solid number though.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Well he certainly was elite from beginning to end. 19 consecutive ppg+ seasons and counting. His 94 points was the most ever by a 36 year old. I think he can still hit 100+.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Yah, I'd say Crosby is a more skilled deflector.

Krieder is the best net front guy though.

Pavelski or Crosby own the best deflector title over the years.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Yah, I'd say Crosby is a more skilled deflector.

Krieder is the best net front guy though.

Pavelski or Crosby own the best deflector title over the years.
Not gonna argue pavelski, it’s why he (and kreider) have aged so well. Sid aint it. Again, he is really good at basically everything and might be the best at “200 foot” hockey iq, but the guys who specialize at this skill are better than him at it.

• Haha
Reactions: sanscosm

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Not gonna argue pavelski, it’s why he (and kreider) have aged so well. Sid aint it. Again, he is really good at basically everything and might be the best at “200 foot” hockey iq, but the guys who specialize at this skill are better than him at it.
Sid's basically carved out his own niche. Instead of the classic tipping in of airborne shots, he's started specializing in geometry vis a vis sharp-angle ramping. These are all from this season alone:

Before he was moved, Guentzel was probably the best on the team at your traditional tip-ins. Sid just decided to get good at something different :laugh:

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Sid's basically carved out his own niche. Instead of the classic tipping in of airborne shots, he's started specializing in geometry vis a vis sharp-angle ramping. These are all from this season alone:

Before he was moved, Guentzel was probably the best on the team at your traditional tip-ins. Sid just decided to get good at something different :laugh:

Those are all excellent goals, however i would only describe the first one as a tip/deflection. The other two were pucks settled on the ice that he one-timed in from sharp angles. Awesome goals, but not really deflection goals.

• Wow
Reactions: sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad