Rumor: SI reports possible Phil Kessel to Isles

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
You're suggesting we gut the team so we can MAYBE win the Cup in the next 2-3 years. What happens after that then? We're a mediocre team and the laughing stock of the NHL again? On top of that we'd have bad contracts to deal with, something we don't have now.

Do you not understand how many players on this team we drafted and developed?

Tavares
Okposo
Bailey
Lee
Strome
Nelson
Nielsen
Martin
Cizikas
Hamonic
de Haan

That's nearly half the starting roster. To suggest prospects are useless and we're better off getting rid of them is ridiculous. We have one of the best forward prospects in hockey who is dominating juniors and is the perfect type of player for the first line. We also have two great defensive prospects who both have top 4 potential and at worst could be bottom pairing players. Why throw that all away for a 2 year run?

Who is saying trade everyone??? Sorry to burst your bubble but the reason we are doing well is because we traded prospects for proven talented players who are in an early age.

For the Kessel Argument, he is an elite all star winger signed long term and is 27 yrs old. trading 2-3 of those guys for that is not selling the farm. Its called trading potential for proven value.

Name me 1 professional sports team that has won the championship on prospects alone?

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Who is saying trade everyone??? Sorry to burst your bubble but the reason we are doing well is because we traded prospects for proven talented players who are in an early age.

For the Kessel Argument, he is an elite all star winger signed long term and is 27 yrs old. trading 2-3 of those guys for that is not selling the farm. Its called trading potential for proven value.

Name me 1 professional sports team that has won the championship on prospects alone?

It's also re-modeling your kitchen when your basement is leaking water. WHEN and WHERE you add value is more important than whether any single move is a good one or not. Last year, trading Moulson and a #1 for Vanek was also fixing a problem we didn't have - so anything's possible, but I truly hope it doesn't happen. I think there's a near-zero chance Snow makes such a dumb move on Kessel. Not sure where these dumb rumours get their legs - though, it's that time of year I suppose.

I'd get Sekera here in a heartbeat though.

Tavares contract has nothing to do with whether the isles want Kessel.
Cappy has said in interviews that it makes the coaches job easier when a team's best player, is also it's hardest working player.

How much has Kessel made the Toronto coaches job harder, with his lazy work ethic?

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/09/22/phil-kessel-alex-ovechkin-image-problems
That's why it's so shocking when a player thumbs his nose at expectations as explicitly as Phil Kessel did last week. Without being specifically prompted, the Maple Leafs sniper told the Toronto media, “Honestly, I skated maybe ... I don’t want to tell you this, but I skated 10 times maybe all summer.†He was also at the center of an odd report in which assistant coach Steve Spott told a coaches clinic in August that Kessel had refused to participate in a new breakout play that Spott had designed and is, in the coach's estimation "15 pounds overweight."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...slanders-prepare-home-stand-article-1.2109281
Phil Kessel to the Islanders? Don't count on it as team begins long homestand
rumors have swirled as to whether or not the Isles will look to acquire a forward to take the place of Kyle Okposo, who will be out at least another month with an eye injury. Leafs star Phil Kessel — 21 goals, 26 assists this season, but just two goals and two assists in all of January — has been mentioned as being L.I.-bound, but seems to be an unlikely candidate for GM Garth Snow to pursue.

The winger commands a $8 million cap hit per season before his contract expires in 2022 and is a very streaky player with conditioning issues.

there are more stories -- like when the new assistant coach (in pre-season) went to Kessel about a new breakout plan the Leafs wanted to try and he said "no, I'm not doing that"....or when they asked him to try LW and he said "no, I'm not doing that"

There was some (irresponsible and uninformed) media types (Dreger) who speculated (wrongly) that the Isles may want to consider adding Kessel to replace Okposo on the top line, because of his injury, which is RIDICULOUS. To add that much money and term for two months? When you already have Grabner who can't make the lineup, even with Okposo hurt? And a budget team who's ONLY weakness (if at all) is defense/goaltending/PK? It's beyond absurd.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
It's also re-modeling your kitchen when your basement is leaking water. WHEN and WHERE you add value is more important than whether any single move is a good one or not. Last year, trading Moulson and a #1 for Vanek was also fixing a problem we didn't have - so anything's possible, but I truly hope it doesn't happen. I think there's a near-zero chance Snow makes such a dumb move on Kessel. Not sure where these dumb rumours get their legs - though, it's that time of year I suppose.

I'd get Sekera here in a heartbeat though.

there are more stories -- like when the new assistant coach (in pre-season) went to Kessel about a new breakout plan the Leafs wanted to try and he said "no, I'm not doing that"....or when they asked him to try LW and he said "no, I'm not doing that"

There was some (irresponsible and uninformed) media types (Dreger) who speculated (wrongly) that the Isles may want to consider adding Kessel to replace Okposo on the top line, because of his injury, which is RIDICULOUS. To add that much money and term for two months? When you already have Grabner who can't make the lineup, even with Okposo hurt? And a budget team who's ONLY weakness (if at all) is defense/goaltending/PK? It's beyond absurd.

I am not advocating trading for Kessel... I am simply saying if the right player of that level comes along I am pulling the trigger.

If the Kings want to dump Doughty cause they are over the cap, I am trading 3-4 of my prospects and not looking back. It's that kind of scenario. We all love Nick Leddy but there were a ton of people on this board upset that it cost Ville Pokka.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I am not advocating trading for Kessel... I am simply saying if the right player of that level comes along I am pulling the trigger.

If the Kings want to dump Doughty cause they are over the cap, I am trading 3-4 of my prospects and not looking back. It's that kind of scenario. We all love Nick Leddy but there were a ton of people on this board upset that it cost Ville Pokka.

completely agree with this!

I think DaColle, Reinhart and Pulock should all be in-play for the right piece. That's why you acquire prospects during the rebuild phase, so you can make such moves.

I'm just not sure that "right player" is out there this deadline, nor do I even know who that right player is.

If I'm the Isles, I want one of Drew Doughty, Weber, S. Jones, Keith, Pietrangelo and a side order of ONE of Price, Rinne or Lundqvist would be nice too. Everyone but #91 is available ;)

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

What? :laugh:

What prospects have we traded that brought anything back? Besides Nino (who forced himself out) and Pokka, who else is there?

I'd take Kessel but not at the cost of our two bst prospects who could have a bigger impact than Kessel. He may be 27 but it still is a bad contract, at least boarderline.

Teams may have not won championships on prospects alone but many successful franchise bring up and keep key prospects who fill a role. Our biggest needs right now are a top line left winger and a top four defenseman. Why go out and trade away guys who we have locked up for years who fill those roles? We'd be getting players who have huge contracts who may or may not pan out. The risk far outweighs the reward. If a prospect busts at least we're not locked into a longterm contract.

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
DaColle, Reinhart and Pulock as Trade Chips?

completely agree with this!

I think DaColle, Reinhart and Pulock should all be in-play for the right piece

No to that!

Maybe those Maple Laughs trolls would take both McDonald and Strait instead of JT and Reinhart for Kessel and Phadeuf? Even that, Snow would have to think long and hard about taking those bad Maple Laugh contracts. Kessel is too lazy and Phadeuf isn't as good as he thinks he is.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
No to that!

Maybe those Maple Laughs trolls would take both McDonald and Strait instead of JT and Reinhart for Kessel and Phadeuf? Even that, Snow would have to think long and hard about taking those bad Maple Laugh contracts. Kessel is too lazy and Phadeuf isn't as good as he thinks he is.

I think your sarcasmgeiger counter needs recalibration.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
What? :laugh:

What prospects have we traded that brought anything back? Besides Nino (who forced himself out) and Pokka, who else is there?

I'd take Kessel but not at the cost of our two bst prospects who could have a bigger impact than Kessel. He may be 27 but it still is a bad contract, at least boarderline.

Teams may have not won championships on prospects alone but many successful franchise bring up and keep key prospects who fill a role. Our biggest needs right now are a top line left winger and a top four defenseman. Why go out and trade away guys who we have locked up for years who fill those roles? We'd be getting players who have huge contracts who may or may not pan out. The risk far outweighs the reward. If a prospect busts at least we're not locked into a longterm contract.

So you would rather wait 2 yrs for MDC to play and see if a rookie can fill the need to play with Tavares and then wait an additional 2 yrs before he starts getting ready, by that time Tavares is a FA and he still hasnt won a cup. BTW we dont know if MDC will ever pan out

Sorry I'd rather trade a guy who is 26 locked into a long term deal and get the best 5 yrs out of his 7 yr contract and then buy him out in the end then pray for a 18 yr old kid to pan out and then wait another 4 yrs. Now I dont want Kessel.. though if the price was right Id do it.

Hockey Prospects are a dime a dozen and you can bust on the first round with the likes of Bergenheim and Nokaleinen and hit gold deep in the draft with a Frans Nielsen or the classic Henrik Zetterberg in the 7th round.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
So you would rather wait 2 yrs for MDC to play and see if a rookie can fill the need to play with Tavares and then wait an additional 2 yrs before he starts getting ready, by that time Tavares is a FA and he still hasnt won a cup. BTW we dont know if MDC will ever pan out

Sorry I'd rather trade a guy who is 26 locked into a long term deal and get the best 5 yrs out of his 7 yr contract and then buy him out in the end then pray for a 18 yr old kid to pan out and then wait another 4 yrs. Now I dont want Kessel.. though if the price was right Id do it.

Hockey Prospects are a dime a dozen and you can bust on the first round with the likes of Bergenheim and Nokaleinen and hit gold deep in the draft with a Frans Nielsen or the classic Henrik Zetterberg in the 7th round.

If Hockey Prospects were a dime a dozen, Toronto would keep Kessel and simply draft a couple of those dime a dozen prospects with high upside.
One of the siller notions in this thread is that high end youngsters like Ryan Strome and Pulock are a dime dozen.

Someone should tell FL GM because the press is saying they are balking, at giving up 1 top, dime a dozen youngster.

Last edited:

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
If Hockey Prospects were a dime a dozen, Toronto would keep Kessel and simply draft a couple of those dime a dozen prospects.
One of the siller notions in this thread is that high end youngsters like Ryan Strome and Pulock are a dime dozen.

Someone should tell FL GM because the press is saying they are balking, at giving up 1 top, dime a dozen youngster.

We were is a desperate rebuild mode (one that took a ridiculously very long time cause our GM is brain dead and our owner didnt care)

I think we are past the point of a rebuild and its time to see who you keep and who you use for bait. If the right player becomes available (ONCE AGAIN I AM NOT ASKING TO TRADE STROME/PULOCK/NELSON FOR KESSEL)

I am simply saying if the player is worth it, everyone but Tavares is trade bait.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
We were is a desperate rebuild mode (one that took a ridiculously very long time cause our GM is brain dead and our owner didnt care)

I think we are past the point of a rebuild and its time to see who you keep and who you use for bait. If the right player becomes available (ONCE AGAIN I AM NOT ASKING TO TRADE STROME/PULOCK/NELSON FOR KESSEL)

I am simply saying if the player is worth it, everyone but Tavares is trade bait.

Taking a page out of both Detroit's and NJ's playbooks, you don't throw too many prospects into the woodchipper to get where you need to go.

Think about this one for a second Frost - if we do not sign Boychuk, and if Vis is really done, we will need to swing a deal for a defenseman again. I would rather keep our pieces for that time, or until Boychuk signs which will hopefully happen shortly.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
This is dumb man. He is an elite top 3 scoring RW in recent years. However, I am not gonna pay the iron price of him.

Speaking of mr Boychuck. Considering his age and that he is a UFA. What do you think it will take Dollar and year wise to resign him. At what point do you pass ?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don't think anyone is/or should be denying that he's a top RW in this league.

That consensus doesn't automatically make him a fit with a team with enough pieces and cap space to acquire him.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
I don't think anyone is/or should be denying that he's a top RW in this league.

That consensus doesn't automatically make him a fit with a team with enough pieces and cap space to acquire him.

Its hard to say. It sounds like the guy has a work Ethic issue but is still a world class player. He is the kind of guy that you would at least try to gauge what someone is looking for in order to obtain. it would be silly to not at least try to get a gauge. Maybe he can be had for less then Garth thinks etc. I would think that is most likely the case and the asking price would be high for a guy who might not be a ideal fit.
I think we should be looking for a large body on thew Blue Line that is willing to CLEAR the crease.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I agree .no one but Tavares should be considered untouchable.

However, the cost to ory top youngsters like Strome/MDC/Pulock/Reinhart would be YOUNG high end talent, without red flags. I am thinking more along the lines of Seth Jones or Duchene then Kessel.

Very hard to pry that type of high end young talent away, so I am content with holding onto and developing the nyi prospects.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Kessel has the 9th highest cap hit (for 7 more years) and the 6th highest cash salary next two years. If I'm Garth, I'm not looking to take on that obligation for a questionable all-around player, and give up assets to do so.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Kessel has the 9th highest cap hit (for 7 more years) and the 6th highest cash salary next two years. If I'm Garth, I'm not looking to take on that obligation for a questionable all-around player, and give up assets to do so.

i did not realize his cap was that high. i agree with you unless your getting him for a bag of pucks

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I wonder if JT, deep down, would want Kessel on this team. Obvious answer is yes, of course, but JT's such a team-first kind of guy. Kessel, while maybe not the locker-room cancer some make him out to be, comes off as not being a high-character locker room presence(nothing to base this on, just my opinion). I do think JT takes his role as captain and leader very seriously. He may look at Kessel and see a guy who isn't 'team-first', and not willing to work on all aspects of his game. He certainly doesn't appear to be any sort of an offseason workout guy, while JT openly encourages guys to workout with him. And I know it's Snow's call, not JT's, although I would hope if a deal this big is being considered Snow would at least ask JT for his opinion. Whatever.
Personally, I pass. Kessel's physique and admitted dislike for offseason workouts has me thinking he'll start breaking down sooner rather than later. Besides, as has been pointed out here, we have other guys due for raises soon, and Kessel's salary impacts that.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I wonder if JT, deep down, would want Kessel on this team. Obvious answer is yes, of course, but JT's such a team-first kind of guy. Kessel, while maybe not the locker-room cancer some make him out to be, comes off as not being a high-character locker room presence(nothing to base this on, just my opinion). I do think JT takes his role as captain and leader very seriously. He may look at Kessel and see a guy who isn't 'team-first', and not willing to work on all aspects of his game. He certainly doesn't appear to be any sort of an offseason workout guy, while JT openly encourages guys to workout with him. And I know it's Snow's call, not JT's, although I would hope if a deal this big is being considered Snow would at least ask JT for his opinion. Whatever.
Personally, I pass. Kessel's physique and admitted dislike for offseason workouts has me thinking he'll start breaking down sooner rather than later. Besides, as has been pointed out here, we have other guys due for raises soon, and Kessel's salary impacts that.

what is kind of funny is you could almost replace Kessel with Vanek word for word.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site

You were not around during the days when the Isles traded for Yashin. I was on this board every day at the time, getting abused by my fellow Islander fans. Nobody could understand why I was so angry at trading a relatively unproven second pairing defender and a pick for a established number one center.

I was also angry about trading for Peca, because I thought Connolly would be a number 1 center and Pyatt would at least be an effective 2/3 guy.

That's the thing about prospect deals. You're playing with the odds . If you draft well (and if you are not drafting well, you prospects have no value anyway), those sort of deals will bite you in the butt over the longterm.

Personally, I'm tired of watching kids we draft develop and star in other organizations. I went through that agony for years under the Milbury and Maloney regimes.

I propose we build a team with a novel strategy: Draft well, carefully develop, and then add vet savvy with smart signings and a few Boychuk-type of deals.

Wacky scheme, I know, but it just might be crazy enough to work.

The G Man

Feb 27, 2002
HF Old School
You were not around during the days when the Isles traded for Yashin.
tumblr_mbg6zdDXqy1r79k9c.gif

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
I would not do it. All those years of rebuilding have finally paid off and your team is playing very well. Kessel has too much left on his contract. Let this group see how far they can go, and tweak in the off season for next. It's not like any your roster is going to lose value in the next 6 months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad