Post-Game Talk: Shutout! 1:0 Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I don't understand what this comment really means or refers to. What "hype?" You mean a bunch of inarguable statistical evidence that shows him to be a great goal-tender at pretty much every level throughout his career? That's not hype. That's looking at what he's actually done and saying "hey this guy could be something!" I mean what part of his past performance leads you to believe there's anything mis-leading about his potential?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's a lock to be a great goalie in the NHL. I'm just saying that there's pretty valid reasons for thinking he might be that aren't just "hype."

Hype was probably the wrong hyperbole but hype seems to be used quite a bit around here as in: "Burmi is coming back from the KHL, he will be great, even better than before, new and improved" except there was no proof to back that up.

In Helly's case the guy was exceptional in college, great in the AHL and outstanding for the US at the world's. Oh and he had the numbers to prove it!

Hope that clears it up!;)

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It seems like last year we really clamped down and won low scoring games with all our Ds hurt and it took three fwrds to be outve lineup to clamp down defensively again. Why wait till there are injuries to play with more attention to detail?

The jets need a sports psychologist to explain the inverted U curve to them and how to manage their intensity levels.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I love it how this comes out the day after his meh game yesterday.

Situationally though it makes a lot of sense.

Hellebuyck shows he can play great on the second night and not seem tired. He also shows that he can forget about a average game and bounce back. Durability, endurance and strong mindedness are all qualities of legitimate NHL #1's

So though I see what you are saying, I don't really agree.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Lf4rb7j.jpg

:laugh: Nice, you should have him signing a big contract!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Ladd looks to be regaining his form, he's been very good the last two games particularly. That is very good news for this team.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Finally watched the game in its entirity. Everything I wanted to say has already been said. Solid effort by the Jets. Armia Perrault Ehlers look very good. I would like to see this experiment continue even once Scheifele returns.

No one can say Ehlers is afraid of contact, both this game and the last game, the way he tries to cut to middle is not something a player who is afraid to get hit will do.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
As much as it frustrates me to see Pardy on the 4th line as a result of Chevy not giving the Jets any depth, I have to admit I enjoy Pardy dangles in the offensive zone

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Haven't read this whole thread so I don't know what has been said about Burmi last night. I think it was easily his best game of the season. No points but a lot of quality chances. He was working well with his linemates. It was like the best of Burmi 1.0. The points will come if he keeps playing like that.

With the progress from Ehlers, Armia and Burmi our top 9 will be crowded when the wounded return.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
With the progress from Ehlers, Armia and Burmi our top 9 will be crowded when the wounded return.

wouldn't that be lovely!

Of course, what usually seems to happen in situations like this where you expect that things are looking a certain (positive) way is that the injured guys return and the guys who seemed to be playing great while they were gone suddenly go silent and you really don't look any better at all...:shakehead

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Haven't read this whole thread so I don't know what has been said about Burmi last night. I think it was easily his best game of the season. No points but a lot of quality chances. He was working well with his linemates. It was like the best of Burmi 1.0. The points will come if he keeps playing like that.

And that's how you get yourself a good 4th line. Players getting pushed down the lineup to where they are a better fit.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
And that's how you get yourself a good 4th line. Players getting pushed down the lineup to where they are a better fit.

I think we could get to a place where we have no true 4th liners. Rather, the 4th line is where our under-performing middle 6 guys go. Burmi not bringing it? 4th line. Lowry taking bad penalties? 4th line. Armia coasting? 4th line. Anybody playing well gets middle 6 time.

A lot of folks complain how the Jets are lacking elite talent. Sure, elite talent would be nice, I guess. But I'll take a strong roster across the board over elite talent any day of the week. I don't like the fortunes of a team riding on one or two guys. Injuries or slumps can screw a season. The Habs without Price, or the Pens without Crosby are pretty lackluster.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I think we could get to a place where we have no true 4th liners. Rather, the 4th line is where our under-performing middle 6 guys go. Burmi not bringing it? 4th line. Lowry taking bad penalties? 4th line. Armia coasting? 4th line. Anybody playing well gets middle 6 time.

A lot of folks complain how the Jets are lacking elite talent. Sure, elite talent would be nice, I guess. But I'll take a strong roster across the board over elite talent any day of the week. I don't like the fortunes of a team riding on one or two guys. Injuries or slumps can screw a season. The Habs without Price, or the Pens without Crosby are pretty lackluster.

I would love to see Lowry centering the 4th line. That is... if he was able to maintain the level of play needed at the NHL level. Pretty sure he could have tuned up James Neal the other day in the 3rd but didn't pursue it. Just my opinion but thought it would have been nice to send them a message.

As far as elite talent goes- I think a good team game supercedes that. Look at Carolina and Arizona this year.

Good to see Ladd picking it up a bit. I'd put him back on the top line again.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Love to see that Puck. Then if you sprinkle in a little elite talent you have a real contender. If Ehlers and Connor come somewhere close to their ceilings and we manage to pick up a top LHD we have that. At least as far as skaters are concerned. If Helle lives up to expectations we are very good next year and contenders soon after.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think the Jets are going to put together a nice little run of well played hockey , they are starting to look more like the hard working team from last season . Price , oops i mean Hellebuyck , just looks very calm and cool out there and the game looks like it is slowing down for some of our young guys . Go Jets Go !!!

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Love to see that Puck. Then if you sprinkle in a little elite talent you have a real contender. If Ehlers and Connor come somewhere close to their ceilings and we manage to pick up a top LHD we have that. At least as far as skaters are concerned. If Helle lives up to expectations we are very good next year and contenders soon after.

I guess it depends how you define elite. Do you consider Wheeler elite? If so, then we've already got elite talent. If not, then do you think Ehlers and Connor will be better than Wheeler?

I'm not trying to mess with you here, just curious.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
we have a goalie in the top 5 in the league statistically (but don't tell anyone that James Reimer's also in the top 5) and a winger that's in the top 6 in scoring, 1 point behind some shmo named Tarasenko.

and we're still out of a playoff spot.

it's been a very interesting year

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
we have a goalie in the top 5 in the league statistically (but don't tell anyone that James Reimer's also in the top 5) and a winger that's in the top 6 in scoring, 1 point behind some shmo named Tarasenko.

Had Helle been playing all year, I'm pretty sure we'd be above the playoff line. He's the biggest pleasant surprise* for the Jets this year.

* not that it's surprising he's playing well. Moreso that he got a chance to play this year, and is living up to expectations with flying colours*.

* Suck an egg HFBoards for telling me I'm spelling "colour" wrong. :rant:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Had Helle been playing all year, I'm pretty sure we'd be above the playoff line. He's the biggest pleasant surprise* for the Jets this year.

* not that it's surprising he's playing well. Moreso that he got a chance to play this year, and is living up to expectations with flying colours*.

Agreed. We would certainly have a few more wins and that would put us up past the line IMO. Our odds inched up slightly after last nights games.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg

You are right but Americans spell it color I like our spelling better

White Out 403*

Yeah no doubt. Hutch and Pavelec really did a lot of harm to our playoff odds, but, I wont saddle all the blame on them. Our skaters have to take at least 50% of that blame for all penalties we needlessly took.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

Put that goalie's Save % over the entire year and we'd probably be above the line right now.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I would love to see Lowry centering the 4th line. That is... if he was able to maintain the level of play needed at the NHL level. Pretty sure he could have tuned up James Neal the other day in the 3rd but didn't pursue it. Just my opinion but thought it would have been nice to send them a message.

As far as elite talent goes- I think a good team game supercedes that. Look at Carolina and Arizona this year.

Good to see Ladd picking it up a bit. I'd put him back on the top line again.

I agree with this. One of Burmi or Lowry should be centering the 4th line, and our top 9 centers should be Little, Perreault, and Scheifele.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad