Speculation: Should the Wings look at trading...

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
You are totally right (and I totally mean this with 100% honestly and not a single hint of sarcasm), Cholowski's problems have nothing to do with his physical limitations, his lack of first step acceleration, and his glaring issue of having poor defensive instincts. It's all about Blashill somehow coaching creativity (of which, none would solve his defensive woes) out of his game. Blashill riding Cholowski hard when his defensive game collapses to sub-standard AHL levels is certainly the problem here.

Now, to be more candid, Cholowski needs more time to mature physically and to certainly mature as a defenseman. He needs to learn how professional hockey players attack him, and how he can effectively prevent opportunities, or at the very least limit the opportunities to the lowest possible level of danger. All the creativity in the world won't cover up being a disaster defensively. Hell, Athanasiou has more creativity than damn near everyone on the roster, and he still gets lambasted for his inability to play engaged and effective defense, and he's a forward. Imagine how different that becomes if you are a defenseman...defense is literally in the name of the position he plays.

For sure Cholowski needs to learn to play defense better and has looked like crap in his own zone a lot lately. But the coach is not helping the situation at all. It Cholo is going to suck defensivley then he at least needs to do well offensively, which he hasn't in a long time.

I don't think we should trade him, we should let the next coach try to develop him. If he fails then we dump.him for what we can get.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
For sure Cholowski needs to learn to play defense better and has looked like crap in his own zone a lot lately. But the coach is not helping the situation at all. It Cholo is going to suck defensivley then he at least needs to do well offensively, which he hasn't in a long time.

I don't think we should trade him, we should let the next coach try to develop him. If he fails then we dump.him for what we can get.

I think there are some reasons to take issue with Blashill, but I'm not sure this is one. He's not coaching the offense out of Cholowski from my perspective, but more emphasizing that defense comes first and if he's not going to defend at an NHL level, then he's not going to play in the NHL.

Cholowski has been given a lot of offensive freedom, including running the point of the first powerplay unit with very good offensive players around him without much success outside of Mantha pounding home one timers, but we just haven't seen consistent materialization of his offensive game, while seeing regression of his defensive game over the season.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I'd be interested in seeing what AA and Cholowski could get us as a package but their value is a bit on the low side at the moment and I'm cool hanging on to both.

Reactions: Sentinel

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Dennis is only 21 years old. Give him at least another couple of years.
Why? So you can waive him and get nothing in return? Seriously, he can't play now on this squad there isn't much hope he'll finally figure it out in a year or two. Holland and Wright fell in love with his skating and didn't realize there's not much else there. Our NA scouting under Holland has been brutal and it's best to understand that and see what you can get in return, not go down the Holland route and over ripen him to the point you realize you have nothing. At least Smith was a really good college d-man and had some grit to his game so you could get a reasonably decent return for him.

Cholo is Jakub Kindl 2.0. Let some other team try to develop him while he's still under team control.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He's not 20 though. He's about to be 22.
He's getting close to an age where you have to make decisions on him

Other than that, I agree with you.
Defensemen often take a long time.

For whatever reason, Detroit seemed to rush Cholowski, even though I think it was well understood that he was going to be a bit of a project.

Still only 1.5 years into his pro career. You can go twice that long before you need to make tough decisions with him.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Expected that answer. So the question is, for what assests Yzerman would trade him?
Biggest needs are:
1. scoring line center
2. top 3 d-man
3. young goalie who is ready for NHL duty

Since we are a couple years away from becoming competitive we would want guys under the age of 25. No point in bringing on guys who are at their current peak or will no longer be in their prime in 2023 and beyond.

Reactions: Sevendust

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
His value is so low right now that you're better off keeping him and hoping he improves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad