Silver Seven Should the Sens Bring Back Robin Lehner?

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
‘’The team could make a huge splash in free agency. The importance of quality goaltending cannot be overstated in today’s NHL.‘’

‘’The Ottawa Senators are in a unique situation, with a bevy of prospects who have the potential to be their longterm solution in net. Marcus Hogberg had an impressive first look in the NHL, Joey Daccord put up good numbers in his first AHL season, and the team still raves about the potential of guys like Filip Gustavsson, Mads Sogaard, and Kevin Mandolese.
That said, a vacuum is opening up within the Ottawa crease. Craig Anderson appears to be saddling up to ride off into the sunset, and the health of Anders Nilsson - thought by many to be the stop-gap solution - remains a concern, as he has been suffering from lingering concussion symptoms.‘’

For more, here’s the link:

Should the Sens Bring Back Robin Lehner?

Reactions: variable26

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
NHL Goalies ‑ All-Time Save Percentage Leaders

11th in all-time save percentage. Tied with Gibson and Lundqvist for 5th in active goalies with a .918 SV% average.

And he's put up those numbers playing mostly for bad teams. Career losing record.

He's a clear #1 goalie and he's only 28. We should absolutely try to bring him back if he's interested.
Save percentage isn't hurt by being on bad teams. In fact it helps.

I would sign lehner for two years max

Reactions: JungleBeat

ChabotToTrot

Jul 22, 2011
Ottawa
I think it'd be a hard sell on both sides. I'm not sure Lehner would want to revisit and area where he experienced most of the toughest parts of his life. As well, the Sens have a plethora of goalie depth with Nilsson having two strong seasons with the sens, sporting a .908 sv% last season. Hogberg looked really good this year, sure it was a .904sv% but all in all I see him being a starter in the future.

But the upside on bringing in a starter that would fill up our gaping cap space, is tempting.

GSG1165

Sep 9, 2010
Ottawa
Not a proven playoff goalie so no to more than 2 years. Plenty of other teams will have interest (SJ, NJ, maybe WSH...)

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
a quote in the article from Lehner said that he is looking for stability on his next contract because his 5 years old son already been to 5 different team.
Then I wouldn’t sign him in Ottawa. I don’t think he’s going to get a long term deal.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
I would take back Lehner in a heartbeat, when he was traded I wanted Anderson traded instead. Lehner was my favorite Goalie since Emery, not that Emery was great but I think I just like big aggressive Goalies.

That being said I would only want him back if it worked with his mental health. If coming back was going to bring back old demons then he should go elsewhere.

Reactions: HzH

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Trade Lehner for a 1st and then bring him back as a UFA. That's one of those trade thread dreams isnt it. I'd have no problem bringing him back if he wanted to come. Lehner returning - good. Lehner's new contract - not optimal for our situation. But he may well help us avoid the travesty? of a top pick next year.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Lehner is looking for long term, and we should not be committing to any UFA goalie long term. Lehner for obvious reasons...

A 2 year deal would be something to think hard about though if possible.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
If he wants to come back I’d absolutely offer a 4 or 5 year term. I’d only do that if there’s a market for Nillson though, I really think Hogberg has earned a spot on the team, and we need to keep spots open in the minor leagues for our other prospects.

Reactions: 6stringmofo

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think the Lehner ship has sailed, he was okay as a goalie, but never looked comfortable being a #1 goalie, although he has had some good games, he's also had his fair share of stinkers.

My take would be to re-sign Anderson for a yr & look to trade one of Nilsson or Anderson at the deadline & more likely Nilsson. Hogberg could take over the #1 goalie spot with Anderson coming in whenever Hogberg gets into trouble. And Ottawa might get a decent pick moving Nilsson who I don't think is a long term solution here.

I'm still not convinced Ottawa has a clear cut #1 goalie coming from their goalie prospects, although Hogberg has played well, as has Daccord. I'd love to see them put a package together for another 1st rd pick to acquire Askarov in this draft.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think the Lehner ship has sailed, he was okay as a goalie, but never looked comfortable being a #1 goalie, although he has had some good games, he's also had his fair share of stinkers.

My take would be to re-sign Anderson for a yr & look to trade one of Nilsson or Anderson at the deadline & more likely Nilsson. Hogberg could take over the #1 goalie spot with Anderson coming in whenever Hogberg gets into trouble. And Ottawa might get a decent pick moving Nilsson who I don't think is a long term solution here.

I'm still not convinced Ottawa has a clear cut #1 goalie coming from their goalie prospects, although Hogberg has played well, as has Daccord. I'd love to see them put a package together for another 1st rd pick to acquire Askarov in this draft.
If Craig Anderson wants a roster spot, he should be paying the Senators after his performance these last 3 years and all the money he walked away with.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Craig Anderson wants a roster spot, he should be paying the Senators after his performance these last 3 years and all the money he walked away with.
Agreed, I've never been a fan of Anderson, but this is about acquiring a decent pick for a guy like Nilsson who I doubt is in their future plans. The team is going to suck next yr regardless of who is in net so it might benefit Hogberg to not have to take all the pressure for the first half of a shit season. Let Anderson & Nilsson take the shit & when one is moved bring Hogberg up for the remainder of the yr to play in most of the games & he starts the following yr.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Agreed, I've never been a fan of Anderson, but this is about acquiring a decent pick for a guy like Nilsson who I doubt is in their future plans. The team is going to suck next yr regardless of who is in net so it might benefit Hogberg to not have to take all the pressure for the first half of a shit season. Let Anderson & Nilsson take the shit & when one is moved bring Hogberg up for the remainder of the yr to play in most of the games & he starts the following yr.
I hear ya. I'm just dishing on a guy I think gets way too much praise and should have been sent packing.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I hear ya. I'm just dishing on a guy I think gets way too much praise and should have been sent packing.
How is it that the word "shit" not being redacted, didn't it used to be by the mods? Are they asleep at the wheel? :naughty:

Reactions: Gesus

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Covid got everything all messed up.

We're walking around with hoodies, hats and shorts in the law firm now, feels weird.
It took me two minutes to put on a hazmat suit an over an hour to get out of it, the zipper was stuck & no one could hear me screaming.

Reactions: Gesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad