Should the Pens consider dealing Letang?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Three options are keep him, trade him or his injury is career ending. We don't know what he is going through right now physically. If he is OK, then he carries the risk of play. If he is unable to continue, he goes on LTIR and insurance pays approx 60% of his salary. The team has 11.6 million or 2.8 million per of exposure after this year. But gets cap relief for his AAV. For me, I limit his exposure until he shows he can handle more. If you do move him, the off season or draft day is the time to do it.

What are you talking about? He is healthy, he has not missed a game this season. He is just playing like *&^%! He is not a candidate for LTIR. He should be a candidate for trade, though.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Gotta say - I would certainly be in favor of Kris getting traded.

It just isn't working for him here anymore. The stuff I made in the initial thread months ago still rings true - he's continually making mental blunders out there leading to goals, isn't great on the PP, and is constantly injured. I don't know how you can justify keeping a guy who is making $7M/year given those "cons".

At this stage in the game, I think a change of scenery would be best for him. Let's hope he can refind his game down the road.

I think you trade him - even if you get $0.75 on the $1.00, it's better than $0.50 on the dollar if he continues this precipitous decline.

Also - you guys are welcome. I was ahead of the curve on this development, as usual.. ;)

I'd wager to say that a lot of folks who said "No" a couple months ago are now saying "Yes"

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
He's certainly not worth his money right now, but the problem is that we are pretty thin at defense. It only makes sense to trade him+ to get a better offensive Dman. Maybe Mtl would overpay for him, but they don't really have what we need.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As one who craps all over him every game I say no.

Getting a replacement is next to impossible. I posted this in another thread, but your chances of drafting a top four defenseman outside of the top five picks of the first are very very low.

Statistically Speaking: NHL Draft Pick Value - Article - TSN

More than that the entire team has been crap, with him in the lineup or not. In the past he could have his lapses as the rest of the team was solid, so his play made up for it. He is too much of a head case though when everyone around him is screwing up so he is shouldering the responsiblity for being responsible. It is a recipe for disaster.

I want to see him when the team around him gets their act together. If that is next year fine. Let him go and you will not get a replacement for the rest of Crosby's and Malkin's careers.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
As one who craps all over him every game I say no.

Getting a replacement is next to impossible. I posted this in another thread, but your chances of drafting a top four defenseman outside of the top five picks of the first are very very low.

Statistically Speaking: NHL Draft Pick Value - Article - TSN

More than that the entire team has been crap, with him in the lineup or not. In the past he could have his lapses as the rest of the team was solid, so his play made up for it. He is too much of a head case though when everyone around him is screwing up so he is shouldering the responsiblity for being responsible. It is a recipe for disaster.

I want to see him when the team around him gets their act together. If that is next year fine. Let him go and you will not get a replacement for the rest of Crosby's and Malkin's careers.

Not if you are Carolina. ;)

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm not a huge Letang fan by any means but the return would have to be substantial. Considering his play this season I can't imagine he's moved.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Letang should be untouchtable and it would be a mistake to trade him. Give him time, he's not the only one underachieving. When he's on top of his game, he's a top-5 D-man in the game and you can't replace that.

Reactions: Giskard

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Letang should be untouchtable and it would be a mistake to trade him. Give him time, he's not the only one underachieving. When he's on top of his game, he's a top-5 D-man in the game and you can't replace that.

Due to injuries mainly after the surgery he just had will he ever be that top 5 D man again? Also how much time will he continue to miss.

If we think he can’t replace himself moving forward then we listen to offers. Other teams will be thinking the same thing though but if someone throws out a fair deal we need to seriously consider it. I’m just on the other side of the fence (to trade) if a good deal popped up.

In the past we’ve been able to deal with our stars missing time/not playing well a bit better. I believe that less so now and it might be the same going forward so Letang carries even more risk for the team with bad play (or if he misses games).

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Due to injuries mainly after the surgery he just had will he ever be that top 5 D man again? Also how much time will he continue to miss.

That remains to be seen. I'm optimistic and hopeful he will and want the Penguins to find that out, not some other team.

Those same questions were asked after his stroke and he bounced back just fine. Dominated the 2016 Cup Final against Sharks like true #1 D-men do. So I'm willing to give him a lot of time to find his game. No different than with Crosby or Murray, two other star players not currently playing up their abilities.

Time??? He's had over half a season.

Crosby has had the same half a season too and is still struggling...

Patience is the key here, not panic trades while selling the player at the low point in his value.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
That remains to be seen. I'm optimistic and hopeful he will and want the Penguins to find that out, not some other team.

Those same questions were asked after his stroke and he bounced back just fine. Dominated the 2016 Cup Final against Sharks like true #1 D-men do. So I'm willing to give him a lot of time to find his game. No different than with Crosby or Murray, two other star players not currently playing up their abilities.

Crosby has had the same half a season too and is still struggling...

Patience is the key here, not panic trades while selling the player at the low point in his value.

The stroke is a bit different though. He’s fully cleared and the odds of it happening are the same as getting hit by lightning.

I’m not as familiar with the neck surgery outcomes eg how long it takes to fully recover, chances of re injury if he plays the same game he has in the past?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I do find it interesting that Letangs name keeps coming up though. I think it's a lot to do about nothing, but for a star players name to keep being bantered about as his has, and by friedman and such, it's not something you see generally. Maybe it's message sending, or maybe my flu symptoms are still gripping my body and mind. Either way it's interesting.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Waiting for a legitimate proposal involving Letang to a team he may want to go to. I still think the only possible trade would be a blockbuster with Karlsson, and I don't even think there's any real evidence Karlsson wants to leave? It's also assuming Ottawa isn't on Letang's list. It's a lot of moving parts resulting in about a 10% chance he'd get moved (by my careful calculations!).

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I was in a serious auto accident a year ago and the docs want me to have a surgery on my neck like Letangs. After seeing what has happened to a young man ( Letang ) after the surgery I have decided not to go forward with it. Something happened to him and he is not the same as he was prior. Lots of serious stuff around the central nervous system that could be effected by playing around with surgical instruments. I think Letang would be wise to consider retirement for his own good. He isn't helping the Pens right now and he has made enough money. You can't replace what he once was and any hope of that Letang returning looks like it ain't happening.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I was in a serious auto accident a year ago and the docs want me to have a surgery on my neck like Letangs. After seeing what has happened to a young man ( Letang ) after the surgery I have decided not to go forward with it. Something happened to him and he is not the same as he was prior. Lots of serious stuff around the central nervous system that could be effected by playing around with surgical instruments. I think Letang would be wise to consider retirement for his own good. He isn't helping the Pens right now and he has made enough money. You can't replace what he once was and any hope of that Letang returning looks like it ain't happening.

Yeah my Physio (she’s also an occupational therapist) was recommended to have neck surgery and she refused because of what she has seen go wrong. It’s an area if you can avoid you do. Every case is different though.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

Is this for real? That's all I'll say/ask about it.

Reactions: Shady Machine

imouttahereEdWinger

Jan 22, 2014
Since this guy has no brains to his game he's only going to get even worse as age takes its toll. His injuries will also get more numerous and take even longer to heal from. You think this guy misses a lot of games now you're gonna be quite sad when you see what's upcoming for grandpa kris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad