Should the NHL ban chanting the opponent's team goalie name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
I'm not even sure how to respond to this, because I'm not sure how we got from your original claim about fans throwing objects onto the ice, to now involving other players throwing their sticks... for some reason?

Seriously, this is a dumb idea that grossly overreacts to how big of a deal chanting fans are. Trying to play it up as a necessary crusade equating to rules in place to protect player (and fan) safety does nothing but undermine your intended point (flimsy as it may be)

ok, nvm.
i just tried to ask how is it a fair play? You can chant to support your team or players, you can boo when an officiating mistake occurs, but chanting to affect an opposing player's play is not better than racial taunting. When Chicago fans chanted "Basketball! Basketball!" towards Devante Smith-Pelley, they immediately got ejected from the arena.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Technically, it is not a "free speech" issue.

An arena can still throw out just about anyone they want for saying anything. I heard people used to get tossed from Manchester (Monarchs) games for yelling or chanting "sucks". Including Monarch fans.

I would guess if an opposing group of fans chanted the home goalie's name, and someone decided to throw them out....things might get interesting.

This was actually an OFFICIAL Blackhawks commercial

Ask any goalie who has had a bad night at home how they feel when they get a loud cheer for making an easy save.

It's part of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad