Should the NHL ban chanting the opponent's team goalie name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
As a caps fan i hate the pens fans for their stupid chanting "Hooooltbeeeee! Hooooltbeeeee!" Yesterday i've heard the isles fans chanting "Muuuuurrrraaaaay! Muuuuurrrraaaaay!" IMO, it's stupid and disgusting, it's not better than using a laser beam to blind the opposing team goalie, nor racial taunting an opposing team player, nor throwing of objects onto the ice surface to break the play. IT'S NOT FAIR PLAY, and should be prohibited by the NHL. Thoughts?

Aug 3, 2010
"The throwing of objects onto the ice surface is prohibited by the National Hockey League and persons caught doing so may be subject to prosecution for violating local and state laws."

the same with chanting
Have you... ever... attended a game live?

It's one thing to isolate one bad apple for whatever behaviour.

Try kicking out a few thousand, and you'll have a riot.

This is a dumb idea, and with how many new topics are made every day, that's saying something.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
giphy.gif

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Nah it's part of the fun and playoff atmosphere (not just playoffs but still). I don't personally do it but it's a way for the crowd to get involved

Surprised your example wasn't the Preds chant though

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
You lost me (and I imagine most sane people) when you claimed chanting the goalie's name (dickish? yes. Childish? sure. Actively harmful? Hardly) was equitable to using a laser pointer (dangerous), throwing stuff on the ice (dangerous), and shouting vulgar slurs at someone (grossly offensive).

Actually it's not more dangerous if a player throws his stick.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
no but it is the dumbest thing on the earth, I think mocking the opposing team only takes the home team off their game and it motivates the visiting team, Isles came out strong yesterday scoring 2 goals ( 1 disallowed) than they started the idiotic Mu-rray chant and what do you know, Isles seemed to die a little and the Penguins found their strength, I am looking forward to the idiotic "Crosby Sucks" chant at some point in the series if the Isles have a lead and Crosby has not scored which will definitely be followed by a few Crosby goals

Reactions: kladorf2005

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Actually it's not more dangerous if a player throws his stick.

I'm not even sure how to respond to this, because I'm not sure how we got from your original claim about fans throwing objects onto the ice, to now involving other players throwing their sticks... for some reason?

Seriously, this is a dumb idea that grossly overreacts to how big of a deal chanting fans are. Trying to play it up as a necessary crusade equating to rules in place to protect player (and fan) safety does nothing but undermine your intended point (flimsy as it may be)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
"The throwing of objects onto the ice surface is prohibited by the National Hockey League and persons caught doing so may be subject to prosecution for violating local and state laws."

the same with chanting

Throwing objects on the ice is dangerous for players and for fans that are sitting close to the ice if said object doesn't make it to the ice.

1992-06-09.gif

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Have you... ever... attended a game live?

It's one thing to isolate one bad apple for whatever behaviour.

Try kicking out a few thousand, and you'll have a riot.

This is a dumb idea, and with how many new topics are made every day, that's saying something.

Have OP ever played goalie? Because its annoying but most people aren't so emotionally fragile that a chant will break us.

Not to mentioned paid NHL professionals who play it for a living, play it as a career, and have played the position for most of their lives. So no. A goalie who can easily be swayed by a crowd chat is not exactly a steady, consistent goalie you want in your net anyways.

Reactions: Khelandros

Rangers79

Aug 10, 2012
New Jersey
It's silly but honestly banning it is even sillier. Honestly, you can hear a lot in NHL arenas. The players 100% hear when fans call them out or even if a single person just heckles them. They're used to it, the goalies probably don't get rattled by it unless it's already something bothering them.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Aug 3, 2010
Have OP ever played goalie? Because its annoying but most people aren't so emotionally fragile that a chant will break us.

Not to mentioned paid NHL professionals who play it for a living, play it as a career, and have played the position for most of their lives. So no. A goalie who can easily be swayed by a crowd chat is not exactly a steady, consistent goalie you want in your net anyways.

That too. Men don't get to play in the NHL as a regular professional by being mentally weak.

This thread topic reeks of "social justice warrior" mentality - being offended for others without really considering whether the other party even cares.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

the same with chanting

No it's not, #1 there is no local or state law banning the chanting of a goalies name.

#2 even if there was you can't prosecute 18,000 people

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
Home fans are now MANDATED to politely applaud every save the visiting teams goalie makes. If you dont make hand contact in a clapping fashion at least 4 times you're given a stern warning. Two warnings and your seats are given to the family of the opposing goaltender.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I can understand how that could upset you but there is a concept in the US called 'free speech'.

I could also make a case that the NHL and/or the Caps should ban fans like this

But it will never happen.

Technically, it is not a "free speech" issue.

An arena can still throw out just about anyone they want for saying anything. I heard people used to get tossed from Manchester (Monarchs) games for yelling or chanting "sucks". Including Monarch fans.

I would guess if an opposing group of fans chanted the home goalie's name, and someone decided to throw them out....things might get interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad