Line Combos: Should the Leafs split up the PP units?

Should the Leafs split of the PP units?

• Total voters

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
It was effective in the beginning but it hasn't been as effective as I've expected it to be. On paper our 1st unit looks amazing and I was so hyped in the beginning of the season when I saw the first PP unit. But it might not be a bad idea to spread it apart.

My preference IF they are split(#1 and #2 unit is pretty interchangeable). I tried to make both lines as even as I can.

1) Tavares, Marner, Kadri, Marleau, Rielly
2) Matthews, Nylander, Kapanen, Johnnson, Gardiner

However even if they aren't split, I don't mind keeping it the way Babcock has it but give #1 unit more time as they have.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
How about just giving the current first unit more PP time (like the minimum of 90sec suggested above)? Pretty odd seeing Ennis get as much PP time as Matthews.

Reactions: Koolboss

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Easy solution. Put Kapanen in Kadris spot on the 1st unit and then Kadri on the 2nd unit to replace Ennis. Why these changes? Kapanen in Kadris spot because I feel a right handed shot in the high slot would work best with Marner on the right side. This gives Marner 3 different options with Rielly as the bailout/reset play as his 4th. If it's open he has the cross seam pass to Matthews who has his quick shot. If they cover that well you have Kapanen who could float between the faceoff circles in between the PK box and has a quick one timer. Then you got the pass down to Tavares down on the goal line who has the option of taking it to the net or he has a quick one touch pass to Kapanen for a one timer. We don't have that shot from the point that a Parayko or Weber brings so we don't have that kind of threat.

Reactions: JayDog17

Once

Jul 16, 2010
We have enough depth to move some parts, but like @ACC1224 pointed out, it is probably best to stack unit 1 and let them play 75% of the PP.

In my opinion, Nylander looks out of place on PP2 as he needs someone to finish his plays. In fact, he is almost too skilled for a guy like Ennis or Marleau.

A great problem to have with all of the options. I imagine Babcock will stay the course and not make any knee jerk decisions.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Nope. Should stack it as much as possible and have them play out 90 seconds of it. No team should be playing their far inferior offensive players for one half of a whole powerplay.

Reactions: IPS

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
I would move Kadri to the second unit at this point. The first unit has an incredible passer (Marner), an incredible shot (Matthews), and an incredible front man (Tavares). IMO Kadri's shot is being wasted in the center area and in some moments him being there interrupts what Marner is trying to do with Matthews.

I think what we have seen is when Kadri is given more room and more responsibility on the top lines he preforms better, but when he isnt the go to guy he suffers. We know he has a great hard shot, so make him the Matthews of the second unit and someone Nylander can legit make plays to.

Reactions: NHL WAR

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Get kadri off top unit and let him, nylander, kapanen, johnsson, and gardiner for a beast of a second unit.

Give Marleau, kadris current role. He wont be a big feature and just will need to shoot/redirect shots in front of the net

Reactions: NHL WAR

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
No, they should add Willy to the top unit to seek and destroy everything in sight.

PP1: Matthews JT Marner Nylander Rielly
PP2: Johnsson/Ennis Kadri Kappy Marleau Gards

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
well unstacked it was back to back 2nd in the league.
currently it's 7th.

it didn't need to be stacked, and i think honestly, the strength of our powerplay was that both units could burn you.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Keep it.

I think it’s better for Kadri’s sake to keep him where he is and try and get him going.

It might mean more forced shots from him right at the goalie, which isn’t great, but eventually he’ll get one. He could use the confidence boost.

And play the top unit as much as possible.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
well unstacked it was back to back 2nd in the league.
currently it's 7th.

it didn't need to be stacked, and i think honestly, the strength of our powerplay was that both units could burn you.
You were saying last year that maybe it was better for Matthews to not get a lot of PP time because he's so good at ES. This year he's honestly our best guy on the PP.

The 2nd unit plays almost as much as the first while not being stacked. This is the crystal clear problem. Our 2nd PP unit was hot garbage last year.

Your takes never make any sense, nothing ever adds up.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
No, but the coach should stop allotting ice time as if they were split

I know it's pretty unanimous in this thread, but it just isn't going to happen. Babcock has always been this way. It was one of the big complaints I remember from Detroit fans when Toronto hired him. Forwards, D pairings, special teams, doesn't matter. He spreads out the ice time.*

I think it's fine in the regular season. No sense burning out your top guys, and it keeps the 2nd unit sharp. But I hope he changes it up in the playoffs.

*only exception is goalies

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I think Kadri should be moved to another unit. He's just not meshing well with the first group. Who knows, maybe he gets going in a bigger role.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Once Nylander starts developing chemistry with the second unitnguys, I think it’ll be less of an issue.

If Babs is going to continue to more or less balance the usage between the unit’s then they should spread out the talent more

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00