News Article: Should the Blackhawks drop the emblamatic Indianhead due to the times we are living in?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
hope they don't change the name or the logo but I would imagine that eventually they will be pressured enough to do so and they will cave...

society is whacked

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
In case you guys didn't know, Dan Snyder was vehemently opposed to changing the Washington team name.......until his entire corporate sponsor slate threatened to drop him. Then he changed his mind.

Lol. How is a derogatory name for Native Americans anything similar to the name of a tribe?

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Tripp Longfellow

Feb 12, 2009
Canada
Everyone here should be ready for the change, it’s going to happen, just a matter of time now and if the name changes too.

Hopefully we go the bird route.

Also don’t get too upset about it, at the end of the day it’s just a shirt. It doesn’t affect your life in any way.

Go Hawks

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Lol. How is a derogatory name for Native Americans anything similar to the name of a tribe?
You're completely missing the point.
Regardless of any similarity , there are still groups of Native Americans that do not like it.

Without Cleveland and Washington the entire focus is on the Hawks on this issue. It's a question of what the NHL's corporate partners think, not any of us. If they want to pressure the Hawks into changing the logo, it will change.....eventually.

I don't think the Blackhawks will have to change their name if they change the logo to a bird.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
You're completely missing the point.
Regardless of any similarity , there are still groups of Native Americans that do not like it.

Without Cleveland and Washington the entire focus is on the Hawks on this issue. It's a question of what the NHL's corporate partners think, not any of us. If they want to pressure the Hawks into changing the logo, it will change.....eventually.

Blah, blah, blah. Whatever.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Even if we were to change, big deal. We'd just go back to the name being Black Hawks (2 words) and a Black Hawk logo can't be any worse than the logo the team had before the current iteration (which has been around since the 60s).

Sure, it'd be different. But it'd be subtle changes that'd grow with you after awhile. Teams make bigger changes than this all the time; just look at what the Anaheim Ducks are now compared to when they first started or at the logo/jersey change for Florida.

Just give us a logo that is as close and eyepopping as the current one and don't f*** with the rest of the jersey and we'll still be near the top of the league in terms of having the best sweaters.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Even if we were to change, big deal. We'd just go back to the name being Black Hawks (2 words) and a Black Hawk logo can't be any worse than the logo the team had before the current iteration (which has been around since the 60s).

Sure, it'd be different. But it'd be subtle changes that'd grow with you after awhile. Teams make bigger changes than this all the time; just look at what the Anaheim Ducks are now compared to when they first started or at the logo/jersey change for Florida.

Just give us a logo that is as close and eyepopping as the current one and don't f*** with the rest of the jersey and we'll still be near the top of the league in terms of having the best sweaters.
The one in JD's avy is pretty cool. If the Hawks could get a hold of the rights to that it would be a good change. That was designed by a native artist and they could acquire it from the current owner(I think it's some Junior team in Ontario) and make a nice contribution to the original artist.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
The one in JD's avy is pretty cool. If the Hawks could get a hold of the rights to that it would be a good change. That was designed by a native artist and they could acquire it from the current owner(I think it's some Junior team in Ontario) and make a nice contribution to the original artist.
If they went this route (changing the logo to a Black Hawk), I'd like for them to explore as many artist renderings as possible. I don't hate the logo you speak of, but I don't love it either. I'd simply be content with it on what would be an otherwise unchanged home jersey.

The thing I do love about the current logo and is featured in that Hawk logo is a similar color palette, which is needed. It's what my eyes gravitate towards and a part of the reason that jersey 'pops' the way it does.

Now I don't want the logo to change, nor the name. Like I have said before in this thread, I think there is a possibility, however small, that people will start feeling content about the changes made to those other teams that have clearly been tone deaf for decades now and won't feel up to any sort of crusade against something so much more tame like the Blackhawks brand.

But if changes were needed, it'd be a name change to something the organization has already called themselves in the past and a logo that, while likely worse than the current one, would be better than the abominations that we had beween 1936-1955 (and possibly better than the one from 56-64).

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Sure, it'd be different. But it'd be subtle changes that'd grow with you after awhile. Teams make bigger changes than this all the time; just look at what the Anaheim Ducks are now compared to when they first started
Geez i hope they don't go down that awful route and create a terrible look after having such a great one.

Thought he changed that logo awhile ago. But if I'm thinking if what you mean, there are objections to it as equally as the current one from the groups that want no logos of their people. The headdress styling of the feathers still bother them. But maybe to enough people that would be fine.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Geez i hope they don't go down that awful route and create a terrible look after having such a great one.

Thought he changed that logo awhile ago. But if I'm thinking if what you mean, there are objections to it as equally as the current one from the groups that want no logos of their people. The headdress styling of the feathers still bother them. But maybe to enough people that would be fine.
The feathers they could get away with. It'd obviously be a reference to Native American headdresses, but it being on an animal with feathers, and the rest of the logo not depicting Natives in any way; it'd be perfectly accepted in society and wouldn't face any real scrutiny.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I've seen some things in the past. I think THIS kinda style would fit.
upload_2020-12-13_21-23-44.png

I have no clue who made or where this came from, seems like some tshirt company that sells other products not their own.

Sure this one that I think even some minors team uses now would satisfy most people. I know some First People leaders have said they are okay with this vs not the current one.
upload_2020-12-13_21-29-25.png

But there still are some that are at that level of wanting no headdress and warpaint components.

I found this, another unknown origin and that concept would I think be awesome and have no objections.
upload_2020-12-13_21-31-33.png

Reactions: CallMeShaft

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
I like this mock logo more than the one Boqvy mentioned earlier, so I put it on a set of jerseys to try it out.

45d8a7a74dcba3589114058cf45f547838c3c35d.png

What we're rocking currently (albeit with a worse collar):

7c39f691d91336ce4cbc364903e14576.jpg

The mocks are certainly worse. The colors are off a bit between the image I used and the mock logo. Imagine the beak being more like the skin ton of Chief Blackhawk and the red on the feather being about the same color as the red on the rest of the jersey. Also, the mock logo is a sharper image, which is making for a bigger contrast than it would in real life. This is all just a quick mock to give a general idea, nothing more.

But a few changes and it wouldn't be awful. It'd be better than the retro logo on those 3rd jerseys.

I'm not in love with this mock logo either to be honest, which is why if the change happens, Hawks need to collect a ton of concepts and find one that works.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
I've seen some things in the past. I think THIS kinda style would fit. View attachment 378989

I have no clue who made or where this came from, seems like some tshirt company that sells other products not their own.

Sure this one that I think even some minors team uses now would satisfy most people. I know some First People leaders have said they are okay with this vs not the current one.
View attachment 378991

But there still are some that are at that level of wanting no headdress and warpaint components.

I found this, another unknown origin and that concept would I think be awesome and have no objections.
View attachment 378992
I like that last logo.

f41a5b7674c9692fcc51339009f96d577d974898.png

Fits the red jersey pretty well. Didn't feel like trying to alter it for the white one. But I think this one you posted might be my favorite that I've seen so far.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The feathers they could get away with. It'd obviously be a reference to Native American headdresses, but it being on an animal with feathers, and the rest of the logo not depicting Natives in any way; it'd be perfectly accepted in society and wouldn't face any real scrutiny.
I think a change is probably inevitable at this point. When it comes to money on this kind of level, any unrest is trouble. Regardless of merit. Not saying either way, but no corporation wants to deal with the headache. They don’t care about the ethical reason, they care about perception. They might, MAYBE get away with headdress feathers if it came from an indigenous artist but it would absolutely still face scrutiny for being a half measure from some, and that’s coming from someone who would prefer the logo to remain unchanged. I won’t stop being a fan, and I won’t be upset for very long. But for a moment on that day, man is it gonna suck. Huge part of my youth is gonna be plastered over.

Did my best to not use any buzzwords. I’m really not trying to get myself invested in a fave page argument over this. I’ve said my piece. Love you all. Happy holidays.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
I think a change is probably inevitable at this point. When it comes to money on this kind of level, any unrest is trouble. Regardless of merit. Not saying either way, but no corporation wants to deal with the headache. They don’t care about the ethical reason, they care about perception. They might, MAYBE get away with headdress feathers if it came from an indigenous artist but it would absolutely still face scrutiny for being a half measure from some, and that’s coming from someone who would prefer the logo to remain unchanged. I won’t stop being a fan, and I won’t be upset for very long. But for a moment on that day, man is it gonna suck. Huge part of my youth is gonna be plastered over.

Did my best to not use any buzzwords. I’m really not trying to get myself invested in a fave page argument over this. I’ve said my piece. Love you all. Happy holidays.
I still think we'd be in the clear with regards to the headdress bit, but even if they wanted to avoid it, 2 of the 3 mocks ClydeLee posted didn't actually show a headdress, just colored feathers; so you can still get those brightly colored feathers in if you're savvy enough. Just an extra set of complications that an artist would have to work around.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I still think we'd be in the clear with regards to the headdress bit, but even if they wanted to avoid it, 2 of the 3 mocks ClydeLee posted didn't actually show a headdress, just colored feathers; so you can still get those brightly colored feathers in if you're savvy enough. Just an extra set of complications that an artist would have to work around.
The Indians tried that when they went away from chief wahoo, who I understand was an ignorant characterization but when it comes to complete rebranding like this if you’re in for a penny you’re in for a pound. You don’t change something that in my own personal opinion isn’t offensive and try and hold onto anything they can still drag you with. You go full limb amputation or still deal with the fringe element that will be given a voice by somebody.

Not saying I agree or it’s how I’d do it. Just how I see it shaking out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad