Should Sharks offer the head coach job for next season to Larionov?

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Wow you guys sound like we are for sure getting Celebrini for sure. Who cares about NHL lottery draft and start drafting Celebrini. And Also, why are we not including Filip Bysted in the Sharks future plan? Is he no long a Sharks prospect?
Celebrini is the only potential draftee I expect to need to consider for next year's roster - everyone else I would expect needs another year. It's not about who I expect to draft, it's about who would be relevant to the 24-25 Sharks.

I don't expect Bystedt to be ready to start next year either - I think he plays at least half the season in the AHL.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Players with protection will have to make a certain amount of selections. In two years, we're still going to be one of those teams where there's significant financial incentive for a player to have our team on their list. Our pull in free agency sort of speaks for itself. Yeah it's speculation to a large degree but it's hard to argue with the results. Dan Boyle was also one who was trying to use his trade protection to not come to San Jose. It's been going on for a while.
I'm with you, we've all been watching for decades. But I would rather do an analysis of all the notable FA signings for teams and see which markets reliably attract top talent, vs. which are in the mushy middle, vs. which are bottom of the barrel.

I am not convinced SJ is bottom of the barrel, even though we may be down on ourselves... Until I see some more evidence, a player poll, etc. that indicate that the structural issues you allude to (taxes, geography, ownership group, fan base, etc) are as big a problem as we all like to think. Right now, yes, because of the competitive situation.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm with you, we've all been watching for decades. But I would rather do an analysis of all the notable FA signings for teams and see which markets reliably attract top talent, vs. which are in the mushy middle, vs. which are bottom of the barrel.

I am not convinced SJ is bottom of the barrel, even though we may be down on ourselves... Until I see some more evidence, a player poll, etc. that indicate that the structural issues you allude to (taxes, geography, ownership group, fan base, etc) are as big a problem as we all like to think. Right now, yes, because of the competitive situation.
I don't think San Jose the location or the team is bottom of the barrel. I just think that when they're a basement team with state taxes at our rate, it's a much tougher sell to the free agents that are at the upper end. For us to match offers from places that don't have state taxes, we have to up it a few hundred thousand and it's already going to take an overpay typically to sign a free agent in the first place. The team needs to be absolutely sure that whoever they invest into with these sorts of issues involved is going to work out.

I think the competitive status is going to be the biggest hurdle for this once the cap space opens up for us and expecting to land a big fish when we're in this boat seems unrealistic to me. Doesn't mean I can't be wrong either lol

Either way, next offseason will be pretty interesting for the team. We have a lot of space and we have some motivation to get rid of someone like Vlasic.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

Most only recall the Stamkos and Tavares situations, both were astronomically high profile and obviously both signed elsewhere. That basically is the gist of it.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I don't think San Jose the location or the team is bottom of the barrel. I just think that when they're a basement team with state taxes at our rate, it's a much tougher sell to the free agents that are at the upper end. For us to match offers from places that don't have state taxes, we have to up it a few hundred thousand and it's already going to take an overpay typically to sign a free agent in the first place. The team needs to be absolutely sure that whoever they invest into with these sorts of issues involved is going to work out.

I think the competitive status is going to be the biggest hurdle for this once the cap space opens up for us and expecting to land a big fish when we're in this boat seems unrealistic to me. Doesn't mean I can't be wrong either lol

Either way, next offseason will be pretty interesting for the team. We have a lot of space and we have some motivation to get rid of someone like Vlasic.
If this is your POV, we're totally aligned. The competitive status is the problem right now, and we're totally aligned on the path to being even in the convo for big FA's. It's 2025 at earliest, more likely 2026 or 27, and it requires us to have drafted well up until then (plus gotten draft luck) in order to have draft capital for trades or exciting pipeline/competitive future for FA's.

Agreed on next offseason but I suspect it'll be more tooling and Duclair-level stuff rather than true centerpieces.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Who the coach is right now, or even next year is fairly irrelevant.

As long as Eklund, and any other prospects that get called up, seem to be learning and progressing in their NHL time tells me that Quinn is fine for now.

Whoever the coach is now or even next year, is almost certainly not going to be here by the time we are really going for it again, and so as long as the current coaching staff does not appear to be actively hurting our prospects development I simply do not see the point in hiring a new coach to be the tank commander.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad