Should Sharks offer the head coach job for next season to Larionov?

YUPPY

Oct 5, 2020
No we definitely should not. We are currently TANKING for get a highest spot at the NHL Draft. So losing is good for now. Any disruption to the coaching staffs then the process will delay the success of this franchise in the future. So I rather they are bad for a couple of years and then be a power house for a decade later than try to patch things up but go nowhere. I understand it is no fun right now watching them losing games but it the right thing to do.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
No we definitely should not. We are currently TANKING for get a highest spot at the NHL Draft. So losing is good for now. Any disruption to the coaching staffs then the process will delay the success of this franchise in the future. So I rather they are bad for a couple of years and then be a power house for a decade later than try to patch things up but go nowhere. I understand it is no fun right now watching them losing games but it the right thing to do.
If we succeed in the tank this year and things fall right with Pittsburgh pick in the 15 range and NJD pick upgrades to a 1st, it will be time to start clawing out of the cellar and trying to improve a bit. Can't foster a culture of losing forever.

Bringing in Smith and Celebrini to go along with Eklund means there needs to be some learning and growing under a better team. That means spending some money on the defense to be able to get the puck out of the zone. It means having as good of a coach/staff as you can possibly have. Etc.

You only get a few years of these ELC deals and if you have 3-4 key cogs on them at one time, you should start trying to improve to take advantage of that and improve the roster around them so they grow up as fast as possible.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If we succeed in the tank this year and things fall right with Pittsburgh pick in the 15 range and NJD pick upgrades to a 1st, it will be time to start clawing out of the cellar and trying to improve a bit. Can't foster a culture of losing forever.

Bringing in Smith and Celebrini to go along with Eklund means there needs to be some learning and growing under a better team. That means spending some money on the defense to be able to get the puck out of the zone. It means having as good of a coach/staff as you can possibly have. Etc.

You only get a few years of these ELC deals and if you have 3-4 key cogs on them at one time, you should start trying to improve to take advantage of that and improve the roster around them so they grow up as fast as possible.
Yeah but the team doesn't have to do that for next season. Smith doesn't have to turn pro after this season. Another year in college would be fine for both him and the team. The same for whoever we'd draft with our top pick. The other two picks aren't worth worrying about as they aren't likely NHL ready. I'd look to fill the holes we aren't replacing with internal options but the blue line is still going to have a logjam this offseason unless we make some moves.

For me, I'm only starting to shoot for competitiveness if Smith and say Celebrini want to turn pro here, if we get game action for guys like Mukhamadullin and Thrun and they show they're ready to fill at least the depth blue line options, and if Bystedt or Musty or Gushchin are showing they're ready for a regular spot in our NHL lineup. If all that happens then yeah go out and find a top pair blue liner, find veteran depth up front, and get a reliable goaltender to platoon with Blackwood.

I don't think the coaching needs to be changed in any of this though.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Yeah but the team doesn't have to do that for next season. Smith doesn't have to turn pro after this season. Another year in college would be fine for both him and the team. The same for whoever we'd draft with our top pick. The other two picks aren't worth worrying about as they aren't likely NHL ready. I'd look to fill the holes we aren't replacing with internal options but the blue line is still going to have a logjam this offseason unless we make some moves.

For me, I'm only starting to shoot for competitiveness if Smith and say Celebrini want to turn pro here, if we get game action for guys like Mukhamadullin and Thrun and they show they're ready to fill at least the depth blue line options, and if Bystedt or Musty or Gushchin are showing they're ready for a regular spot in our NHL lineup. If all that happens then yeah go out and find a top pair blue liner, find veteran depth up front, and get a reliable goaltender to platoon with Blackwood.

First, with sucking for too long there is a risk of you turning into something like Edmonton or Buffalo who can't stop sucking even when they must.

Second, the team still needs to attract tickets buyers, you won't fill arenas by losing.

Third, Larionov's hockey is very entertaining and very young kids friendly. There are a couple of 17-year olds who already play important role on his team. With so many great youngsters Sharks can get next season having the team's legend as a coach who can actually coach could be very helpful.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
First, with sucking for too long there is a risk of you turning into something like Edmonton or Buffalo who can't stop sucking even when they must.

Second, the team still needs to attract tickets buyers, you won't fill arenas by losing.

Third, Larionov's hockey is very entertaining and very young kids friendly. There are a couple of 17-year olds who already play important role on his team. With so many great youngsters Sharks can get next season having the team's legend as a coach who can actually coach could be very helpful.
Edmonton and Buffalo don't suck because they sucked for too long. They suck because they have had bad management.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I’m not worried about culture. I think that will take care of itself when you pick the right people to build around. Attracting ticket buyers requires you to win. We’re not capable of just going out and acquiring what we need to win without waiting out young talent to develop into the cornerstones for us to build around. Losing is not a choice they made. It’s the absence of talent that occurred after what they had ran its course without suitable replacements. To me it happened because they ran out of valuable trade assets at the same time players declined or left and couldn’t draft enough to fill the gaps.

We’re not getting premium free agents even when we have cap space. We’re not going to get premium players the trade route until we’re competitive again because top guys have trade protection and those with that tend to have San José on that no-trade list for competitive and financial reasons.

I don’t mind the idea of Larianov being our coach at some point but I think Quinn is still effective now and the need to make a move there just doesn’t exist yet.

Reactions: Cas

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

in the odd chance we do get Celebrini, what are the chances he stays another year in college? Same with Smith. Have to assume Eiserman would like to do a year minimum at college.

I think a lot will depend on how those Boston teams do, but that's something to consider.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
in the odd chance we do get Celebrini, what are the chances he stays another year in college? Same with Smith. Have to assume Eiserman would like to do a year minimum at college.

I think a lot will depend on how those Boston teams do, but that's something to consider.
Celebrini might be ready. I think Smith will need another year.

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
You can't just choose not to suck when you wish. You need players. High end players and multiple ones. I know people like to think that once you start rebuilding, everything will trend upwards and within 2-3 years, it will be time to start getting good again. Its going to take much longer. Even NJ, who everyone is hoping to be modeled after was bad for years and got a lot of lottery luck. I live in NJ, so trust me, I find that extremely aggravating cause the luck they have had with the lottery is not normal. We cannot expect to move up as often as they have.

Teams like Buffalo, Ottawa, Arizona etc don't just choose to suck year after year. You need luck and have high end players end up with you whether getting lucky at the right time in the draft or some guy not drafter super high blossoming more than expected. I feel if we collect a handful of decent prospects and decide we want to start competing before we acquire someone we identify as the franchise centerpiece for the next decade and a half, we are just going to be another Ottawa, Buffalo or Arizona.

Reactions: coooldude

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I should have clarified, i'm thinking mentally wanting to stay in college and have fun and win more than I am thinking he will physically be ready.

Like if the Sharks are clearly going to be basement fodder next year and try for another top pick, maybe those college players will play another year then come after their seasons end.

I think I would do that, honestly

Reactions: landshark

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I should have clarified, i'm thinking mentally wanting to stay in college and have fun and win more than I am thinking he will physically be ready.

Like if the Sharks are clearly going to be basement fodder next year and try for another top pick, maybe those college players will play another year then come after their seasons end.

As much as the “college experience” is something we might think they value, I would not turn down a job I enjoy making $950,000 just for the experience. Maybe the Sharks could convince him he needs another year in school but most likely if the Sharks think he can play in the NHL he will take the money.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

0 dollars vs potential for 4.45 million dollars? Ya think anyone with any wants to be in the NHL is truly going to say yes I can wait one more year.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Smith is at 1.4 PPG at BC this year and Celebrini is at 2.0 PPG at BU. Doubtful that there is going to be anything useful for development returning to college hockey another year for either of those guys (if Smith slows down then maybe he's a 2 year candidate, but Celebrini is a 1 and done with the way he's playing).

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Smith is at 1.4 PPG at BC this year and Celebrini is at 2.0 PPG at BU. Doubtful that there is going to be anything useful for development returning to college hockey another year for either of those guys (if Smith slows down then maybe he's a 2 year candidate, but Celebrini is a 1 and done with the way he's playing).
Adding to this, you need them to grow. Popping off a couple points a game doesn't do that. They need to play against bigger, faster, better opponents to grow as players.

That said, even if Smith stays at 1.4ish a game, hes going to need a big off season to make the NHL. The conditioning and strength dont appear to be there..

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
We’re not getting premium free agents even when we have cap space. We’re not going to get premium players the trade route until we’re competitive again because top guys have trade protection and those with that tend to have San José on that no-trade list for competitive and financial reasons.

I don’t mind the idea of Larianov being our coach at some point but I think Quinn is still effective now and the need to make a move there just doesn’t exist yet.

The only things about this I dispute is:
1. It's a good guess that SJ might be on some no trade lists, but it's still speculation. They're not public, so we don't know for sure that people don't want to come to SJ because of the taxes and the tire fire. And we don't know for sure how quickly that can change year to year.
2. As I posted already, Larionov is a pipe dream, other coaches are actually realistic but probably unnecessary until we're further down the rebuild path. As you and others have said, Quinn will most likely finish out his contract and we'll see where we are from there.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
True but one's decision to stay at college doesn't entirely hinge on one's development track. Letting a kid play well and compete at a collegiate level may prove better than having them lose a lot here while we're trying to lose bad contracts and set the team up better for a competitive window. Either way, I'm for whatever decision either of those kids make. I just see benefits for them to stay in school as well as turning pro.

The only things about this I dispute is:
1. It's a good guess that SJ might be on some no trade lists, but it's still speculation. They're not public, so we don't know for sure that people don't want to come to SJ because of the taxes and the tire fire. And we don't know for sure how quickly that can change year to year.
2. As I posted already, Larionov is a pipe dream, other coaches are actually realistic but probably unnecessary until we're further down the rebuild path. As you and others have said, Quinn will most likely finish out his contract and we'll see where we are from there.
It was pretty much confirmed that it was on Jeff Petry's list when they were trying to trade Karlsson.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
It was pretty much confirmed that it was on Jeff Petry's list when they were trying to trade Karlsson.
Sure, that's one, in 2022/23. I'm sure SJ is on a bunch of lists this year. But in 2 years, who knows? We are all speculating re: how unattractive / attractive SJ is as a free agent destination in today's NHL. I'd love to see a player poll to give us some real data to chew on (not only a rank of desired/undesired, but also why).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sure, that's one, in 2022/23. I'm sure SJ is on a bunch of lists this year. But in 2 years, who knows? We are all speculating re: how unattractive / attractive SJ is as a free agent destination in today's NHL. I'd love to see a player poll to give us some real data to chew on (not only a rank of desired/undesired, but also why).
Players with protection will have to make a certain amount of selections. In two years, we're still going to be one of those teams where there's significant financial incentive for a player to have our team on their list. Our pull in free agency sort of speaks for itself. Yeah it's speculation to a large degree but it's hard to argue with the results. Dan Boyle was also one who was trying to use his trade protection to not come to San Jose. It's been going on for a while.

YUPPY

Oct 5, 2020
Wow you guys sound like we are for sure getting Celebrini. Who cares about NHL lottery draft and start drafting Celebrini. And Also, why are we not including Filip Bysted in the Sharks future plan? Is he no long a Sharks prospect?

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wow you guys sound like we are for sure getting Celebrini for sure. Who cares about NHL lottery draft and start drafting Celebrini. And Also, why are we not including Filip Bysted in the Sharks future plan? Is he no long a Sharks prospect?
It's all hypothetical. I name dropped Bystedt as one of the guys I'd need to see and have confidence in before making significant efforts to improve the team to competitive status. If the Sharks end up with the worst record and drop to 3, they'll still get someone like Demidov or Levshunov or Silayev and have good odds that they'll be a significant piece to their future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad