Should penalties be 1 minute?

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
In 3 on 3 overtime, yes.

I hate when a penalty takes up damn near all of OT, even worse when theres no whistle to get back to 3 on 3.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
It's also more potential spots for tv timeouts.....so again, more money.

That's easier said than done.
and?

Plenty of penalties like tripping and hooking are penalties because they're the easy way out of being bad at defense.

Be better or be a liability, why are we holding the hands of people who can't stay out of the box?

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ
PP and PK are big parts of the sport, so why should they be diminished? You should want to have a good PK and PP and not have the rules lower their relevancy. I wouldn't mind seeing some rule changes with the penalties itself, though. The puck over the glass being 2 minutes has long run its course. Just make it the same as icing.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Yes, absolutely, for penalties that are just about getting a small game advantage and that don't cause injuries. Meaning most calls for hooking, tripping, delay of game, interference, etc. Keep it at 2 minutes (or 5) for slashes, spears, cross-checks, roughing, high-sticking.

The hockey rulebook was largely made a along time ago for a very different game. You had a single ref struggling to keep control of a pretty violent sport. As a result, penalties for a lot of infractions are often overly punitive. But now we have 2 refs in a every game, and they're afraid of calling every infraction they see because they know that the penalties they're calling are more game-changing than the infractions that they're punishing. That's why refs swallow the whistle in important moments.

Do 1 minute penalties for minor infractions and you'll see them called more frequently, without encouraging diving on top of it. Plus it's still a pretty significant disadvantage for the penalized team; it's just more commensurate to the infraction it's penalizing.

I want to see teams win hockey games because they made nice plays, not because some Dman threw a puck into the crowd by accident. Powerplays are the worst, most boring part of hockey.

Kirikanoir

Dec 16, 2010
Seems like we've moved into an era where special teams largely decide games. I'm thinking the trend will continue as players become better and more efficient with the pp. Is this a game we want?
Not all penalties, but I sure would have no problem with the shooting it over the boards delay of game penalty being reduced to a one minute penalty.

Reactions: Channelcat

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I want to see teams win hockey games because they made nice plays, not because some Dman threw a puck into the crowd by accident. Powerplays are the worst, most boring part of hockey.
That doesn't make any sense.
You want teams to make nice plays, yet then go on and want to help those who fail to make nice plays but instead take the lazy way out.

If someone can't play himself out of pressure but has to rely on throwing the puck somewhere, then that is on him and him alone. He could have tried "the nice play", but opted not to. He shouldn't get a get out of jail free card just because he was either to lazy or inept to make the proper play.

Nice play goes both ways, offense and defense, and you very much suggest that defenders should be able to ignore that completely. No defenseman is ever forced to fire the puck high towards the glass. They do so, because they don't want to take the risk of playing themselves out of pressure, as that comes with the risk of losing the puck in a dangerous area.

On top of that, goals never just happened because of someone making nice plays, on the contrary, a very large component has always been someone on defense screwing up, thus allowing an offensive player to take advantage. That's why you see scoring spikes after expansions or during WW2, as the influx of new players means the bottom end of the league isn't as skilled and thus make more mistakes, mistakes which then can be abused to score more goals.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Seems like we've moved into an era where special teams largely decide games. I'm thinking the trend will continue as players become better and more efficient with the pp. Is this a game we want?
I anticipate that with a decrease in penalty time, you would see more penalties because shorter times would diminish the deterrent of the penalty.

I think officiating needs a house cleaning
I think they are doing mostly what they are directed to by the league. If there needs to be changes in officiating, I think it needs to be the direction the NHL has given to officials.

Reactions: Channelcat

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Keep it two minutes and keep them on the power play if they score, but call the game a little looser consistently while not letting it get out of hand.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I like the one idea where if the team with the PP gets scored on than the penalty gets negated.

That’s an idea that may help the short handed team think about the PK a lot differently, could cause more odd man rushes for the team on the PP as well.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
That's an awesome idea. Power-play merchants are annoying

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We can complain about PP all day. There are a bunch of subjective calls depending on whether the officials lean towards "let them play" or "by the letter of the rule". Ideally they find that middle ground where things aren't ticky tack, but don't let guys get away with bascially tackling a guy.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
League will never do something like this that decreases scoring. They'll let Oilers games open with the opposing team getting a free cross-check to the head of McDavid before they do something that's guaranteed to drop scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad