Should penalties be 1 minute?

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Seems like we've moved into an era where special teams largely decide games. I'm thinking the trend will continue as players become better and more efficient with the pp. Is this a game we want?
They wanted more scoring and have made rule changes to promote more scoring, weaker penalties and more penalties are part of the MO, they don't want to reduce the time, because they would see a drop in scoring, and in the NHLs mind more scoring = More fans = more money.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
They wanted more scoring and have made rule changes to promote more scoring, weaker penalties and more penalties are part of the MO, they don't want to reduce the time, because they would see a drop in scoring, and in the NHLs mind more scoring = More fans = more money.
It's also more potential spots for tv timeouts.....so again, more money.

don’t commit penalties if you don’t want to be down a guy.
That's easier said than done.

Reactions: Stapler and pi314

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I'd like it to be 45 seconds and 13 of those seconds get to be 5 on 3. Would create a rush watching that extra PK'er rush over the boards or possibly get sprung for a breakaway.

• Wow
Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This isn't the issue. The issue is that PK isn't something that teams really concentrate on. It's considered to be of secondary importance, and they mainly dump some third-tier players onto PK and call it a day.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
No way. Cutting the penalty time in half would just make players take more penalties. It would basically be like "oh, it's just a minute, totally worth slashing that guy's leg!".

Don't take the penalty if you don't want to be down for two minutes.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Nah 1 minute is too short. You get a clear that is basically a third of the powerplay over. I do think penalties that eliminate scoring opportunities especially late in the game should have the option of a penalty shot or played to the conclusion of the power play if the trailing team could score to tie.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Seems like we've moved into an era where special teams largely decide games. I'm thinking the trend will continue as players become better and more efficient with the pp. Is this a game we want?

Fantastic avatar, unfuntastic idea.

Though it would make sense for certain penalties. Delay of game is stupid anyways, so if that were only a minute it’d be an improvement. Teams should just get better at PKing, though, to the original issue.

Reactions: Guttersniped

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
That's easier said than done.
That's good, because it shouldn't be easy. If your PK sucks, you have the option of taking less penalties and/or getting better on the PK.

There are plenty of bad PPs out there and plenty of good PKs. There's no need to change anything.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Teams should get the option of:

(1) a seven-minute power play or
(2) having the penalized team's PK1 unit consume 24 Chicago-style hot dogs before having to immediately penalty kill a two-minute penalty, or
(3) a spin of the Mystery Wheel(tm), or
(4) a premium-level arena grab bag package.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
what if instead you get a 45 second power play but the goalie has to put his blocker on his glove hand and his glove on his blocker hand
introduce a whole new market for switch-catching keepers like in baseball, too

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
For some infractions where an inadvertent play results in the call, I think a 1 minute penalty would be good for the game

Unfortunately it's sooooo subjective that I'm not sure how refs would be able to do it

there's so many calls like a stick getting dropped/slashed out of their hands, a stick in the hands that barely does anything, even some high sticks that are miniscule and didn't disrupt the play at all that I'd welcome a way to do it

edit: I guess I was supposed to be snarky and "clever" with my response
mea culpa ;)

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad