Should NHL Teams Play On Christmas?

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Furthermore, saying "they simply need a break" can be seen as somewhat insulting to those who actually have to work year round and are lucky to get Christmas off - as opposed to NHL hockey players who get months off in the summer, are very highly paid and very pampered as well, being driven to wherever they need to play, being provided with food, and so on. They don't exactly live hard lives, compared to most.

Would the players get triple time for working on the 25th or 26th?

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I'm going through NHL withdrawal too, but give the guys a break.

We have the WJC anyway, plus we have a huge midget tournament in town starting tomorrow that I like going too with my Grandpa.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
No. It's nice the NHL gives a break to the players and coaches during this time.

cleveland408

Registered
Apr 12, 2014
Nope. Gives the fans and players a short needed break and allows the WJC to receive a bit of attention.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Whether or not they play is entirely up to the players and owners in collective bargaining. As a fan, I'll say this: if there was hockey, I'd watch. If there isn't, then so be it. Doesn't really make a difference to me.

Getzlaf The Great5*

And all the people who would have to work at the arenas, extra police, extra public transportation workers, just about everything that goes into a game night. Talk about ruining a lot of peoples days.

Hell no!!!!!
Spot on

Bps21*

Christmas Eve should have games played between teams that are right next to each other. Isles vs. Rangers. Whatever two Cali teams are closest. There's nothing worth watching on a day where everyone is home. It's not like the league couldn't use to brand it as a day people might actually watch the sport. Players and everyone else working wouldn't be away from home on Christmas. And lots of regular people have to work Christmas Eve anyway.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Anyone should have the right to the time off, except for essential services like hospital workers, police officers, etc.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I was thinking earlier that it might be kind of nice to lay on the couch & watch a game today.... but no. Christmas is for families/close friends. For every player who dresses for the game there are probably at LEAST a dozen or so people who would also have to work at significantly lower wages (team management, ticket takers, concession workers, ushers, parking lot attendants, extra police/EMS, cameramen, etc, etc, etc). I really don't need to make them work just to provide me with a little entertainment

It also isn't a horrible thing to give everyone a few short days off a couple of months into the season. Hockey is extremely physical & an extra day or three of extra rest every now & then might be just what's needed to give that aching shoulder what it needs to get back to where it should be.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
No. I would much rather watch World Juniors than players that, for very good reasons, would prefer to be elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad