Should Nations be able to enter multiple teams in National Tournaments?

Should multiple teams from the same country be allowed in International Tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Let’s say for the upcoming World Cup Canada felt confident enough to enter a second National team. Should they be allowed?

Personally I have no problem with this and I actually think it could be interesting as long as the two teams can’t swap players in the middle of the tournament.

Positives are it gives nations an extra chance to win, creates more internal competition, more brackets for a bigger tournament (maybe smaller countries who might not have had a chance can get a slot now too), and gives fans more to cheer for.

Negatives I can see happening are some nations could unethically create one team to be a “goon squad” and rough up opponents of the other team and two teams from the same nation making the finals would be hilariously embarrassing for the rest of the world.

• Haha
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
No, do not like this. Imagine a Canada vs Canada gold medal game like what the hell. You gotta be the best within your own country to make it, it sucks so many elite Canadian players get left off every year but it is what it is.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
That would have made more sense than some of the other gimmick teams the NHL tried with the last world cup.

But still no.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Don't hate the idea as the more good teams, the better the hockey but it can get oppressive for weaker teams relying on upsets to make it far into the tournament. It would kill potential underdog runs which are always good to have as a possibility for the growth of hockey in those countries, at least imo.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Don't hate the idea as the more good teams, the better the hockey but it can get oppressive for weaker teams relying on upsets to make it far into the tournament. It would kill potential underdog runs which are always good to have as a possibility for the growth of hockey in those countries, at least imo.

Not to mention Canada's A team could have an off night and be eliminated in the semifinal or even before, while Canada B could make it to the finals. Now, which players from USA, Sweden, Finland or Russia (whenever they are in) wanna win a championship beating Canada's B squad? And how many fans would wanna see that?

International hockey with one team per country is fine as it is. And Canada's not so impressive results against the likes of Latvia, Slovakia and Switzerland in the most recent best on best tournaments shows it.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Well this one of the most lopsided results in quite some time here lol

1661695262533.gif

Win some, lose some. Personally I’m not scared of 1 Canadian team leg alone 2. US takes the World Cup in 24 either way.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
International hockey with one team per country is fine as it is. And Canada's not so impressive results against the likes of Latvia, Slovakia and Switzerland in the most recent best on best tournaments shows it.

World Cups without full NHL participation are not best on best.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
World Cups without full NHL participation are not best on best.

People call it "best on best" because it's the best players of one country facing off against the best players of another country.

But if you wanna argue over definitions, sure, you could say the all star game is best on best. No one cares though. (Not saying no one watches it, I'm saying players nor fans takes it seriously and people don't care about the outcome. It's a friendly gimmic, nothing more).

This really only benefits canada

Problem: "Canada wins too often. There's not enough parity".

Solution: "We should add more Team Canadas"

Logic:

1661701030583.jpeg

Last edited:

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
People call it "best on best" because it's the best players of one country facing off against the best players of another country.

But if you wanna argue over definitions, sure, you could say the all star game is best on best. No one cares though. (Not saying no one watches it, I'm saying players nor fans takes it seriously and people don't care about the outcome. It's a friendly gimmic, nothing more).

Problem: "Canada wins too often. There's not enough parity".

Solution: "We should add more Team Canadas"

Logic:

View attachment 579955
2 teams also waters down 1 potential great team depending on how they build the two teams. Again, Canadas days on top are numbered anyway . USA is coming for the throne.

• Haha
Reactions: Habano

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
2 teams also waters down 1 potential great team depending on how they build the two teams. Again, Canadas days on top are numbered anyway . USA is coming for the throne.

And you would celebrate USA overtaking the throne if they get there by beating Canada's B squad in the final? Or just 50% of Canada's A squad, "depending on how they build the two teams"?

If so, I think you would be in the extreme minority, even among Americans. The poll results hints at that too, unless of course somehow only Europeans found their way into this thread.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
only team that could this is Canada. Maybe USA but a 2nd rate USA team would not be good.

I’d be more into a concept like team Europe in the last World Cup because there is some really good players from countries that really have no chance of competing and the games are usually boring pond hockey blow outs.

Reactions: Peat

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
And you would celebrate USA overtaking the throne if they get there by beating Canada's B squad in the final? Or just 50% of Canada's A squad, "depending on how they build the two teams"?

If so, I think you would be in the extreme minority, even among Americans. The poll results hints at that too, unless of course somehow only Europeans found their way into this thread.
The same thing is true of any tournament. If Canada’s A team gets upset at some point what makes Canada’s B team any different than say Latvia winning?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Let’s say for the upcoming World Cup Canada felt confident enough to enter a second National team. Should they be allowed?

Personally I have no problem with this and I actually think it could be interesting as long as the two teams can’t swap players in the middle of the tournament.

Positives are it gives nations an extra chance to win, creates more internal competition, more brackets for a bigger tournament (maybe smaller countries who might not have had a chance can get a slot now too), and gives fans more to cheer for.

Negatives I can see happening are some nations could unethically create one team to be a “goon squad” and rough up opponents of the other team and two teams from the same nation making the finals would be hilariously embarrassing for the rest of the world.
In national champs, sure. But not international. Unless a region is closed to autonomy; Finland competed in several sporting events prior to being a country.

World Cup is an exhibition tournament and will likely have gimmick teams again, so use that for the fun and games.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well this one of the most lopsided results in quite some time here lol

I am flabbergasted by the 4 yes.

I can't fathom how this could even be considered in the real world. Who would be proposing this? Which country outside of Canada wouldn't be totally opposed to it?

Might as well have a tournament of 6 different Canadian teams... Canada Cup here we go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad