Speculation: Should leafs put a claim in for Thomas Hickey

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBungle

Mar 21, 2010
Oakville
He would be a good acquisition for the Marlies.

Maybe Eakins can work some magic on him and help him reach his potential.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
what happen to this guy he was a high pick thought he was suppose to be the next big thing. maybe new system change of scenery?

He was considered a huge reach when he went 5th overall. It was also a pretty thin draft. Central Scouting for example in their Final rankings had Hickey listed 26th overall, JUST going by North America Skaters. Not including goalies or any Euros.

I think a change of scenery could be the kick in the bum needed, it sometimes is. Or also a strong possibility, he's just not very good. Either way, would be pretty low risk probably if we can get him onto the Marlies. Not sure about his NHL potential.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
If we are hitting the waiver wire Id rather go with that Cliche dude who is a centerman. Maybe a free wallet....

:laugh:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We are pretty high on the waiver priority, so there's a decent chance we could claim him if there's interest.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd take a chance on him if we could get him down to the Marlies to work with Eakins .. But we'd have to claim him and place him back on waivers to get sent down since he wouldn't make the Leafs

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
He was considered a huge reach when he went 5th overall. It was also a pretty thin draft. Central Scouting for example in their Final rankings had Hickey listed 26th overall, JUST going by North America Skaters. Not including goalies or any Euros.

I think a change of scenery could be the kick in the bum needed, it sometimes is. Or also a strong possibility, he's just not very good. Either way, would be pretty low risk probably if we can get him onto the Marlies. Not sure about his NHL potential.

I remember watching that draft, and indeed he was off the board at that time. The scouting staff probably liked his potential more than anyone else and were afraid that because they were unable to trade down that he would get picked by the time LA picked again.

After Kane was gone in the draft, it seems like 07 was an extreme crapshoot. Logan Couture, Ryan McDonaugh and Patrick Kane are the only first line players in that first round. Jamie Benn is the only other player I see that was drafted after the 1st round that is a first liner.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
With Gardiner and Holzer likely sticking with the big team , he'd make a good replacement for the Marlies. If the change of scenery helps him and he becomes a steady NHL , all the better. Low risk , high reward situation if you ask me . We should go for it.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
i think we would have nothing to loose... Hickey has oodles of skill but just hasn't got it yet at the pro level.

he is worth a gamble imo

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
When Hickey played in the WHL with Seattle, he was a lot like Morgan Rielly, at that stage of his hockey career. Very promising gifted offensive dman with lots of potential.

He hasn't developed as expected to be able to carry his career forward as LA hoped when they selected him that high #4 overall in 2007.

All prospects are suspects until they prove otherwise.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah they should, free wallet and whatnot with the benefit of having been developed for a few years. No risk.

IBLEAF

In the sh-itter @ Scotia bank place
Nov 5, 2009
BARRY'S BAY
what happen to this guy he was a high pick thought he was suppose to be the next big thing. maybe new system change of scenery?

This is a low risk high reward senerio,pull the trigger nonis,wouldnt he have to pass through waivers to go to the ahl ???

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
When Hickey played in the WHL with Seattle, he was a lot like Morgan Rielly, at that stage of his hockey career. Very promising gifted offensive dman with lots of potential.

He hasn't developed as expected to be able to carry his career forward as LA hoped when they selected him that high #4 overall in 2007.

All prospects are suspects until they prove otherwise.

Except Dougie Hamilton. :sarcasm:

Just kidding. That's absolutely true. Though I think he's a little smaller than Rielly (185 vs. 200). They are quite similar in the sense that skating is the strong suit for both.

K19*

So if we claim him and want to send him to the AHL he'd have to pass through waivers again?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If we claim a player off waivers, he has to be put on the NHL roster. You can't just claim him and put him in the AHL.

If you claim a player from waivers, it's because you think that the player can play for your team in the NHL, or at least give you depth as a spare forward. It's an unwritten rule however.

Technically, you can claim anybody you want for your farm team. The only problem is that you will have to waiver him yourself to be able to assign him to the AHL.

So if the Leafs don't think Hickey can be a part of the top 7 or 8 defenseman, I highly doubt they'll pluck him just to re-waive him for the Marlies.

With that said, looks like the Islanders claimed him:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC

Think Islanders claimed another D -- Thomas Hickey from LA

They were a spot over us in the waiver claiming process. So even if Toronto put a claim for him, Islanders had priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad