Should Koivu Be Stripped of the Captaincy or Traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Only way Mikko's not a top line center is if you have one of the handful of better centers as well.

Looking at PPG, he's at 28 and tied with Michael Nylander. Is Michael Nylander a top line center? I'm serious and very curious.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
He was in 2006-07. Played with Jagr on New York's top line. Obviously skewed his PPG. Then was bounced out of the league with injuries and underperforming.

Here's just the last three years.

21st in points per game...that includes guys listed at center who aren't actually centers (Stamkos, Kessel, not sure about Kopitar or McDonald).

Two knocks against Koivu: goal scoring, ability to stay healthy. Really, that's about it.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He was in 2006-07. Played with Jagr on New York's top line. Obviously skewed his PPG. Then was bounced out of the league with injuries and underperforming.

Here's just the last three years.

21st in points per game...that includes guys listed at center who aren't actually centers (Stamkos, Kessel, not sure about Kopitar or McDonald).

Two knocks against Koivu: goal scoring, ability to stay healthy. Really, that's about it.

I think Stamkos plays center and I know Kopitar does.

I'd say he's the 16 highest pure center on the list. Right where I've always placed him, in the midst, but closer to the top, of the Bergeron/Kesler/Richards/Stastny/Kreijci tier of centers.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Looking at PPG, he's at 28 and tied with Michael Nylander. Is Michael Nylander a top line center? I'm serious and very curious.
You're right. Bouchard is worth as much as Milan Lucic. There is no other considerations as to a players worth other than their statistical points.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
That's the thing...this gives you the offensive numbers. You know Mikko is top five in defense. So this is just the floor of his ranking.

Great. He's a good two-way center. No one is disputing that.

I always find Koivu to be equivalent to Yzerman in many ways.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
original

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
No, there is not.

Actually there has been but let's just ignore history.

The fact is, removing the captaincy from Koivu should be looked at before removing the coach. We've tried a bunch of different things, including remove Richards as coach.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Actually there has been but let's just ignore history.

The fact is, removing the captaincy from Koivu should be looked at before removing the coach. We've tried a bunch of different things, including remove Richards as coach.

If you honestly think that changing captains is going to have a significant effect on this team you're delusional.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If you honestly think that changing captains is going to have a significant effect on this team you're delusional.

So then why have captain's in the first place?

Again, we've tried EVERYTHING the past few years. And people want to trade Cullen? Setoguchi? Get rid of the coach? That's just as absurd in the grand scheme of things.

If you guys keep coming up with ridiculous statements, I'm just going to respond in kind. This thread is idiotic, but so is half the posts in the trade thread along with the entire Fire Yeo thread.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
So then why have captain's in the first place?

Again, we've tried EVERYTHING the past few years. And people want to trade Cullen? Setoguchi? Get rid of the coach? That's just as absurd in the grand scheme of things.

If you guys keep coming up with ridiculous statements, I'm just going to respond in kind. This thread is idiotic, but so is half the posts in the trade thread along with the entire Fire Yeo thread.

The leaders in the lockerroom will be leaders, letter or no. The only thing changing the C would do is change who gets to talk to the refs.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
If it's a psychological thing, hey! I'm all for doing anything to wake this team up.
Wanna wake this team up? Bring up Zucker and start making guys like Seto, Granlund, and Brodz sit. Benching Brodz would certainly mess with the team's head. His numbers are terrifying right now. And no amount of "waking" the team up is gonna improve the lack of talent on defense.

I'm just amazed how this could even be considered an issue right now. It's so far away from our real problems.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'm just amazed how this could even be considered an issue right now. It's so far away from our real problems.

Agreed. Yeo isn't the problem. Setoguchi, Brodziak, Cullen are minor issues. The biggest thing we need for the team right now is stability of players. Changing the lines up fine but this team needs to get comfortable with one another.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Agreed. Yeo isn't the problem. Setoguchi, Brodziak, Cullen are minor issues. The biggest thing we need for the team right now is stability of players. Changing the lines up fine but this team needs to get comfortable with one another.
I would consider Brodz and Cullen more than minor problems, because this team has been in desperate need of secondary offense. We knew the top line would go cold at some point, and that's when everyone else needs to chip in. The fact that Gilbert has been a bigger help offensively than Brodz is mind numbing.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I would consider Brodz and Cullen more than minor problems, because this team has been in desperate need of secondary offense. We knew the top line would go cold at some point, and that's when everyone else needs to chip in. The fact that Gilbert has been a bigger help offensively than Brodz is mind numbing.

Not really. Cullen is gone after this year and Brodie is Brodie. He didn't play in the offseason it appears. Secondary scoring will come. It's not going to help by constantly shuffling the deck. Unless somehow we can get a significant upgrade, I rather let them work out the issues. I mean we were relying on an undersize rookie as a second line center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad