Kings Article: Should Former LA Kings Star Right Wing Dave Taylor Be In the Hockey Hall of Fame?

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
His time spent on the triple crown line is worthy of the hall of fame on it's own. He was a critical player in the Kings establishing themselves as a legitimate (at times) hockey franchise for several years prior to 99 and beyond. I think it is a no brainer that DT should be in the HOF. Especially when you consider allot of the other much lesser players who are in there.

Reactions: Ray Martyniuk

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Love him, but no.

He should be in the Hall of Really Really Good.

Taylor ranks 17th all-time in scoring among NHL right wingers. Lanny McDonald ranks 25th and is in the HHOF. Rod Gilbert scored less points, ranks 23rd among RWs, and he's in the HHOF.

The difference is, those guys didn't play for a hopeless team like the Kings.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Taylor ranks 17th all-time in scoring among NHL right wingers. Lanny McDonald ranks 25th and is in the HHOF. Rod Gilbert scored less points, ranks 23rd among RWs, and he's in the HHOF.

Lanny also had an incredible moustache!

12-20-17-lanny-mc.jpg

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California

True.

But McDonald has a Masterton, a Clancy, a cup victory, and one hell of a moustache.

Rod Gilbert is a better analogue. I wouldn't put him in the Hall, either.

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
True.

But McDonald has a Masterton, a Clancy, a cup victory, and one hell of a moustache.

But he is there so Taylor belongs there as well. There are worse players than Taylor in the HOF who were even less important to their teams as DT was to ours.

His stat lines are pretty crazy.

He played in 1111 games
Scored 431 goals
Scored 638 assists
(1069 total NHL points)
1589 Penalty minutes
Played in 92 playoff games
26 goals
33 assists
59 total points
14 penalty minutes

He is well above plenty of others in the HHOF. He belongs there imo.

Last edited:

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
True.

But he IS in there. If he is, I'm not sure what the argument to keep Taylor out is. Glenn Anderson and Theo Fleury are also in and their stats are comparable. Fleury won a cup in like his rookie year and that's it. Anderson got drafted onto a team filled with two of the best centers to ever play the game, one of the best wingers to ever play the game, one of the best defensemen to ever play the game, and one of the best goalies to ever play the game. I'd take his cup wins with a grain of salt. Put Taylor on those Edmonton teams and I'm sure he'd have done ok too.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Theo Fleury is not in the Hall. At least not yet.

he is the best player not in IMO.
What is crazier is the flames organization have not retired his jersey despite not player wearing 14 for the flames since. The organization seems sour on him still (even though Calgary is his permanent home), so I am guessing it is Murray Edwards has a beef with Theo.

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
he is the best player not in IMO.
What is crazier is the flames organization have not retired his jersey despite not player wearing 14 for the flames since. The organization seems sour on him still (even though Calgary is his permanent home), so I am guessing it is Murray Edwards has a beef with Theo.
All he has going for him was being a PPG player. He has no hardware.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Reactions: kingsholygrail

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Dave Taylor should have been in the HOF on the first ballot. Its a mockery he's not in! For the Love of Cristos why isn't he?Taylor was and will always the greatest RWinger this franchise will ever see

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Blake and the Kings organization need to make a push for Dave Taylor to be in the Hockey Hall of Fame! He deserves it...A great great player for the Los Angeles Kings from the moment he stepped on the ice for the Kings. Taylor could play any way you wanted to play...tough,gritty and a scorer,playmaker and a mucker too. Nearly a point a game in a career(1977-78 to 1993-94) that spanned 1111 NHL games with 1069 points!

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad