Should all teams make to the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Liker

Oct 19, 2017
We've seen that even last playoff team can completely hone the exit cavity of the supposed best team of NHL. That is a clear argument for that maybe we should move to a system where every team goes to playoff. That would make everything possible because everything IS possible.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Should everyone get a participation Stanley Cup too?

No, every team shouldn't make the playoffs. The best 16 teams should.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Yes, best idea ever.

Let’s make sure we don’t get unfair seeding, and make all teams play each other, say 2-4 times. Maybe need to balance the schedule to make travel easy, but it should all even out in the end.

How about, to create some more entertainment, let’s have a tournament after all games are played of the, say 16 best teams. Let’s call it “after-season”.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yes, best idea ever.

Let’s make sure we don’t get unfair seeding, and make all teams play each other, say 2-4 times. Maybe need to balance the schedule to make travel easy, but it should all even out in the end.

How about, to create some more entertainment, let’s have a tournament after all games are played of the, say 16 best teams. Let’s call it “after-season”.
Also, after the season, there should be some kind of way to disperse newly eligible professional players amongst the teams, with worse teams being able to choose before teams who did better,

Also we may want to set a limit on how much teams can spend on players so that large markets can't just buy championships.

I have no idea how any of these ideas would actually be put into practice but they seem to make sense

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
We've seen that even last playoff team can completely hone the exit cavity of the supposed best team of NHL. That is a clear argument for that maybe we should move to a system where every team goes to playoff. That would make everything possible because everything IS possible.

Bottom 16 go to an NIT equivalent after seattke comes on board.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yes, best idea ever.

STOP MAKING SENSE

R-6474513-1420131760-5531.jpeg.jpg

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Absolutely.

I'd wait until Seattle gets in and here's how I'd do it.

Scrap the regular season. Have all 32 in the playoffs. First round is an 82 game round robin.
For TV, travel and finacial sake, I'd split the league in two and each half into 4.

Top 2 teams in each quadrant face off in the next round to see who represents the division going forward.

Problem solved.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
It would determine home and away position for playoffs.
So you would play 82 games and win the presidents trophy just to get 1 extra home vs the Ottawa Senators. Tampa had 128pts vs Ottawa’s 64. They literally doubled up Ottawa’s points for the season and the only thing they would get is 1 extra home game. This is so dumb.

You realize this year is an outlier. 95% of the time 8 seeds are out in 4-5 games.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm a fan of unpredictability - which is why the idea of 32 teams in the playoffs vs 16 sounds fun on paper. I also love the idea of 1vs16 seeding instead of the 1vs8 most people are asking for, even though it goes against tradition big time.

But.....obviously, the answer is no. Regular season matters to make the playoffs - this can't, won't and shouldn't ever change. Maybe at some point they could increase the # of playoff teams from 16 to 18, or 20....though i don't see any need/reason to do that today. Maybe if dynamics change in the future it could be a possibility.

All teams? Hell no.

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
Make it two playoffs. One for the Stanley Cup. and the remaining 16 teams a short playoffs 3 on 3 for draft picks, a gold 1st overall, silver second overall, bronze 3rd overall.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Make it two playoffs. One for the Stanley Cup. and the remaining 16 teams a short playoffs 3 on 3 for draft picks, a gold 1st overall, silver second overall, bronze 3rd overall.

Yes, this will go well. After denying players from playing in the Olympics lets also deny them from playing in the world cup by forcing them to participate in a loser tournament where the prize is drafting a better player who might replace them on the roster next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad