Shohei Ohtani sweepstakes thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
People are gonna feel real goofy about themselves when he re-signs with the Angels. Including myself because Arte still won’t go over the luxury tax and we’ll fail to build a winner with 3 top heavy contracts eating too much of the payroll instead of 2

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
If winning is his only concern, then yeah, he's gone. If he wants to make as much cash as possible, I wouldn't be surprised to see a short deal with the Angels or maybe a long contract with an out after one or two seasons. Then if his arm comes back at full strength, he can get that 500 million, but he's not worth that if he's only a hitter.

As an Angels fan, I've been trying to convince myself that him signing elsewhere is the best thing. If he does re-sign, he's definitely never pitching again and he'll turn into a .220, 25 HR, 50 million dollar a year DH within a couple years.

Sep 19, 2008
honestly I have an ohtani figure on display in angels gear so the second he leaves that depreciates in value

i'd like to see him with the angels but i just don't see it

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If winning is his only concern, then yeah, he's gone. If he wants to make as much cash as possible, I wouldn't be surprised to see a short deal with the Angels or maybe a long contract with an out after one or two seasons. Then if his arm comes back at full strength, he can get that 500 million, but he's not worth that if he's only a hitter.

As an Angels fan, I've been trying to convince myself that him signing elsewhere is the best thing. If he does re-sign, he's definitely never pitching again and he'll turn into a .220, 25 HR, 50 million dollar a year DH within a couple years.

I will be shocked if he doesn't get $500 million this winter.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Might even get to $600 million.

Blue Jays, Cubs, Dodgers & Angels in the running. Giants possibly too.

Looks like Rangers, Red Sox and Mets are "out" to an extent.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

It is the best thing. I’d only really be in favor of bringing him back if Arte commits to a Mets esque payroll or we can dump Trout and Rendon

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
good luck with that, he wants to play for a winner

That's just shit all athletes say, obviously he would rather win than lose and play postaseson ball over golf

But there's also the human element and life side.

He seems like a pretty quiet and reserved guy and still uses a translator. Going to Doders, Cubs or Blue JAys is going under the microscope and with language barrier it makes it more stressful. There's no staing lowkey in those markets.

That's why i agree reupping with angels seems pretty possible at this point.

Sep 19, 2008
That's just shit all athletes say, obviously he would rather win than lose and play postaseson ball over golf

But there's also the human element and life side.

He seems like a pretty quiet and reserved guy and still uses a translator. Going to Doders, Cubs or Blue JAys is going under the microscope and with language barrier it makes it more stressful. There's no staing lowkey in those markets.

That's why i agree reupping with angels seems pretty possible at this point.
but he'd just be wasting his career. he's never come close to competing for the playoffs in anaheim and moreno shows no interest in fielding a competitive team. he'd be wasting away in purgatory

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Still would be shocked if he's not a Dodger soon after the winter meetings.
No clue why people still think this. Dodgers rarely sign free agents of this caliber, pretty confident the Angels would outbid them. And their biggest need is starting pitching, something he won’t provide next season

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
No clue why people still think this. Dodgers rarely sign free agents of this caliber, pretty confident the Angels would outbid them. And their biggest need is starting pitching, something he won’t provide next season
To avoid semantics, there's rarely, if ever, a FA with the caliber of Ohtani.

Dodgers have been big spenders now for almost a decade. Turner, Pollock, Jansen, Bauer, and Freeman in somewhat recent history. They've spent to keep their own proving they won't shy away. Ohtani is already in the city and the Dodgers continue to be in the championship conversation every year.

On top of all that, they've been mentioned in rumors since they first started like 6 months ago.

Reactions: Voight

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Holy f*** if the Jays sign Ohtani… read also they’re working on a Soto trade if the Ohtani deal falls through. Wowsers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad