Signing(s): Shohei Ohtani signs with the Dodgers (10 years, $700 million)

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
This is just exposing loopholes that only big markets can do. It's a bad look for the league that this kind of shit happens in order to avoid paying luxury taxes. May as well just pay the players under the table.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This is just exposing loopholes that only big markets can do. It's a bad look for the league that this kind of shit happens in order to avoid paying luxury taxes. May as well just pay the players under the table.

You do realize Ohtani is only gonna be paid $2M a year for the next 10 years by the Dodgers…

How many other superstar big ticket players would agree to hold off on being paid anything close to that level? Zero.

There’s no loophole here and no precedent has been set.

Reactions: Voight

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Ohtani is a unicorn in terms of marketing and finances in the sport. No other player will ever come remotely close to deferring 68M annually or 680M in total

If you can get a big ticket player to agree to defer that much money then you deserve to reap the CBT and cash flow benefits. Because we’ll probably never see anything like this again

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Apparently the deferred money is also without interest. Ohtani is forgoing a HUGE amount of money to help someone richer than him save money.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I kneel, Ohtani and the Dodgers front office. Now get some pitching!
1675902481981675.png

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
so what happens to the dodgers payroll when it becomes time for the deferrals?

interesting precedent to set here that i'm sure most of the league isn't going to like. i'd be shocked if this sort of contract isn't done away with in the next CBA

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
so what happens to the dodgers payroll when it becomes time for the deferrals?

interesting precedent to set here that i'm sure most of the league isn't going to like. i'd be shocked if this sort of contract isn't done away with in the next CBA
I imagine it will count against them which is why it was allowed in the CBA. It's a high risk deal. I imagine ten years and he's probably retiring from baseball anyway, so we'll have the new Bobby Bonilla in a lot of ways. lol

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
You do realize Ohtani is only gonna be paid $2M a year for the next 10 years by the Dodgers…

How many other superstar big ticket players would agree to hold off on being paid anything close to that level? Zero.

There’s no loophole here and no precedent has been set.
He's gonna make ten times that in the other revenue-streaming options he won't have when he's retired. Again, it's something a major player like him wouldn't nor could do in a smaller market. Big markets like NY and LA are on a completely different playing field all around.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I imagine it will count against them which is why it was allowed in the CBA. It's a high risk deal. I imagine ten years and he's probably retiring from baseball anyway, so we'll have the new Bobby Bonilla in a lot of ways. lol

His ‘luxury tax hit’ or AAV will only count for the 10 years he’s technically under contract, (@ around 46-50M a year until 2033)

Once the deferred payments kick in, there’s no luxury tax implications. Dodgers will just be stuck paying a f***ton of money to someone not playing for them. But that’s the next GM’s problem

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Nevermind, this guy is a genius

Just next-level game here.

Predict what Golden Visa country Ohtani picks for another citizenship in, so once 2035 rolls around he doesn't have to pay Japanese taxes on that incoming $68M from America.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Even as a Jays fan who lost out on Shohei, I have zero problem with this and I think/wish more teams and players did this. It's a win-win scenario in that the Dodgers have more payroll to work with to win now and Shohei will get way more money in the end than if it was the $500-600mil straight up that was originally suggested.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
So he offered this deal to every team and the Dodgers are the bad guys for accepting it? Is that the hot take now?

The guy wasn't leaving California. The "Ohtani to Blue Jays" train wreck was must see twitter implosion that lived up to the hype.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad