Signing(s): Shohei Ohtani signs with the Dodgers (10 years, $700 million)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There isn't. He agreed to the deferment interest free.
Hmmm…. Interesting…. Cause compound interest would put $68 mill over 10 years at $100 mill at 4%. Obviously he wouldn’t get that since there are taxes and stuff but in 20 years with no interest rate in the deferred money seems like an odd move at first glance.

Plus all of the other years.

There isn't. He agreed to the deferment interest free.
Hmmm…. Interesting…. Cause compound interest would put $68 mill over 10 years at $100 mill at 4%. Obviously he wouldn’t get that since there are taxes and stuff but in 20 years with no interest rate in the deferred money seems like an odd move at first glance.

Plus all of the other years.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
This guy isn't a better player than either Betts or Freeman. Imagine a $700,000,000 deal for a guy who is the 3rd best player on the team. Terrible.
I mean if you ignore the fact that he had a higher wRC+ than both of them last season while also being a top of the rotation starter, then I could see how one could hold this opinion

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
This guy isn't a better player than either Betts or Freeman. Imagine a $700,000,000 deal for a guy who is the 3rd best player on the team. Terrible.
He's been a 9.5 WAR player over the past three years. He led the league in 2021 and 2023, and was second in 2022 to Judge (who has averaged 7.0 WAR over the last three years).

Ohtani has been the best player in baseball since the covid season. Whether he keeps it up is another matter.

Dec 29, 2004
Injury prone, yes, but he is literally the last player you can describe as "one dimensional."
You are living in the past. Come back to 2023!

He can't throw the ball anymore, all he can do is hit.

He is the poster boy for one dimensional players.

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
You are living in the past. Come back to 2023!

He can't throw the ball anymore, all he can do is hit.

He is the poster boy for one dimensional players.
He was throwing the ball in 2023...

Saying "all he can do is hit" is rather reductive, given that he was the best hitter in baseball last year. I might also note that he can also run, and that it's not like Freeman does anything special except hit either (being a first baseman who isn't especially good defensively). Doing more things isn't as important as doing the most important things well, anyway.

Ultimately you're just moving goalposts.

Reactions: John Price

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Damn, so his status with the Dodgers relies on two people that don’t even play on the field

They basically know he will never exercise that opt out in the first 3-5 years of the deal because he loses all the deferred money in the years he has not yet played. So they probably figure, when he's mid 30s and declining if they want to crapcan those guys if he wants to walk over that when he has all that money guaranteed still then go ahead and do it. He'd probably be doing them a favor at that stage as he would not be that good anymore anyway

Dec 29, 2004
He was throwing the ball in 2023...

Saying "all he can do is hit" is rather reductive, given that he was the best hitter in baseball last year. I might also note that he can also run, and that it's not like Freeman does anything special except hit either (being a first baseman who isn't especially good defensively). Doing more things isn't as important as doing the most important things well, anyway.

Ultimately you're just moving goalposts.
Infielders who aren't 'especially good defensively' don't win gold gloves.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I'd rather have had Corey Seager the last few years and for the future at half the cost. Dodgers still need a shortstop, three SP and an outfielder.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: #37

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'd rather have had Corey Seager the last few years and for the future at half the cost. Dodgers still need a shortstop, three SP and an outfielder.

My Best-Carey
That's why they deferred all that money. They're in on every FA and possible trade right now. They want to reform the late-90's Yankees in LA for the next decade. It's a monster gamble, but as a sports fan, it's going to be fascinating to watch and see what happens.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Infielders who aren't 'especially good defensively' don't win gold gloves.
Plenty do - Derek Jeter won five and he was awful. Rafael Palmiero won one when he was a DH. Gold Gloves are often won with the bat, not the glove.

Freeman has won one Gold Glove, which was five years ago. He's regressed to somewhere between average and below average now, and he's a first baseman. He's pretty much by definition "one dimensional" (well, I guess he can run too, but so can Ohtani) and it doesn't matter, because he's very good at that one dimension - hitting the ball really, really well, which is by far the most important dimension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad