Confirmed with Link: Shesterkin recalled.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I just watched the replay of the game and honestly, not that impressed by the kid. Sure he had some nice saves in the 2nd half of the game but he was bailed out by the offence and a horribly bad Devils goalie. Lots of shots against, yes, but in all honesty, how many of them were high quality chances?

Goals 1&2 were both on the kid and are goals that we kill Hank for.

Small sample sice but I dont see a huge difference between Shesty and Georgie at this moment.

1. You expected a 48 save shutout? It's laughable to argue the team bailed him out (whether offense or defense) when they left him out to dry for the majority of the game. Could he have stopped some of those he let in, absolutely. Should we ever expect a goalie to shutout the other team when they face nearly 50 shots, no.

2. The difference between Georgiev and Shesty, is that they look about the same right now, yet Georgiev has been playing for 2 years and has barely improved at all. He goes on really hot streaks and then pretty cold streaks. He has been inconsistently consistent since day 1 and that's a problem for me. Again, it also doesn't help that the team in front of him is trash.

Reactions: McSauer

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I just watched the replay of the game and honestly, not that impressed by the kid. Sure he had some nice saves in the 2nd half of the game but he was bailed out by the offence and a horribly bad Devils goalie. Lots of shots against, yes, but in all honesty, how many of them were high quality chances?

Small sample sice but I dont see a huge difference between Shesty and Georgie at this moment.

How is goal 2 on him? A high tip right in front of the goal, right after Coleman crosschecks Fox? What more is Shesterkin supposed to do there? Convince the refs to call a f***ing penalty?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Thought the kid played well. Not great, but well. Made a lot of saves but not that many were of the extremely high quality variety. There were a few tough chances that he handled quite nicely with his glove hand. And it's a very small sample size, but I like that he really clamps down in the 3rd. At the end of the day he got another win. So far, so good.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Wasn’t the second goal a deflection from right in front?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

So he’s supposed to save a puck that’s redirected right in front of him (after a blatant cross check).

I think you’re clueless on this subject.

What separates Shesterkin now is his rebound control, tracking the puck and puck handling

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
1. You expected a 48 save shutout? It's laughable to argue the team bailed him out (whether offense or defense) when they left him out to dry for the majority of the game. Could he have stopped some of those he let in, absolutely. Should we ever expect a goalie to shutout the other team when they face nearly 50 shots, no.

2. The difference between Georgiev and Shesty, is that they look about the same right now, yet Georgiev has been playing for 2 years and has barely improved at all. He goes on really hot streaks and then pretty cold streaks. He has been inconsistently consistent since day 1 and that's a problem for me. Again, it also doesn't help that the team in front of him is trash.

I didnt have any expectations at all and I certainly didnt expect a shutout. I just dont see him as the messiah most of you guys seem to regard him as. I get it, new shiny toy and all but we have been down that road before, although I will admit that this one comes with a far better pedigree.

You are right, Georgies been in the league for 2 seasons compared to Shestys 2 games. Yet, people are far to quick to anoint him the chosen one.

And the part where the team left him out to dry. Welcome to the New York Rangers kid. Whats new?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion, even if it's a poor one.

I am pretty impressed regarding his composure during his first 2 NHL games. I look forward to what he can become under Hank and Allaire's tutelage.

Reactions: McSauer

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
So he’s supposed to save a puck that’s redirected right in front of him (after a blatant cross check).

I think you’re clueless on this subject.

What separates Shesterkin now is his rebound control, tracking the puck and puck handling

And I think you should go back to your own board.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Hey, you're entitled to your opinion, even if it's a poor one.

I am pretty impressed regarding his composure during his first 2 NHL games. I look forward to what he can become under Hank and Allaire's tutelage.

Hey, well all have one, right :laugh:

Agree on the part that he will benefit greatly under Hank and Benoit.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I didnt have any expectations at all and I certainly didnt expect a shutout. I just dont see him as the messiah most of you guys seem to regard him as. I get it, new shiny toy and all but we have been down that road before, although I will admit that this one comes with a far better pedigree.

You are right, Georgies been in the league for 2 seasons compared to Shestys 2 games. Yet, people are far to quick to anoint him the chosen one.

And the part where the team left him out to dry. Welcome to the New York Rangers kid. Whats new?

You sound like an Eli Manning fan shitting on Daniel Jones after the Redskins game.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
I mean, you do. Sort of seems like you're upset that Hank's career is almost over and you don't want to move on.

Literally the same exact **** that Manning fans were pulling this past year.

Not upset but certainly a bit sad that he will be gone in a couple of years but life will go on and so will the team.

What I am upset about is that some fans want him gone yesterday even though he performs as a top goalie still.

Reactions: Musto

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Translating interview with Shesterkin in Russian outlet called sport24.ru:

«Чтобы не расплакаться, уставился в одну точку». Шестеркин — о втором матче в НХЛ и Лундквисте

Q: How you feel after your 2nd game for the Rangers?
IS: More or less getting comfortable to the NHL, there were more shots in this game. Turned out to be an interesting game, I was less nervous.

Q: You faced 49 SOG. Did it make it more difficult? (Duh???)
IS: I like it when there are more shots. Improves my stats. (Lol!!!)

Q: Do you play better in games like this? No chance to get "unfocused" off the game?
IS: Not sure, I still allowed to get scored on

Q: The third goal was a bit weird. Did you understand why refs allowed it?
IS: In this situation I couldn't figure out where ref saw the puck crossed the line. And the net was moved too...

Q: Did you enjoy / appreciate that you got the second game in the row?
IS: I'm very appreciative of the coach for giving me this chance. I want to play better and better with each game to get a permanent roster spot.

Q: What did you feel when the whole arena chanted your name: "I-gor! I-gor!"?
IS: I heard it and I felt my skinn crawl (in a good way). Thank you to the fans. This gave me confidence and made it feel more comfortable.

Q: Did you expect to be accepted by the Rangers fans so soon?
IS: Did not expected and was quite shocked. When my last name was announced and I heard reaction of the arena, I just had to stare at one spot to not start crying

Q: How do you grade your start in the best league in the world?
IS: I'm very happy with it, want to play even better, I had some issues that need to be corrected. I won't have much time my "train" (i.e. opportunity) could take me back to Hartford at any time and I don't want to go back.

Q: Lundqvist is a legend here. Did you enjoy playing with him?
IS: Lundqvist was a legend / idol for me even in Moscow. When I met him for the first time this summer I was positively shocked with his approach to the training process. He was always the first on the ice and the last one off it. He's very special!

Q: Did he support you? Offered any advice?
IS: He wished me good luck before the fist game, said it will be fun

Q: Did anybody called you Tsar around him?
IS: Lol, no. Heads would get taken off the shoulders immediately

Q: Are you proud that you're essentially pushing out Lundqvist - the legend?
IS: I wouldn't say that I personally am pushing him out. He's still number 1 here. I'm just trying to capitalize on the chance I'm given

Q: What are the rituals for rookies in the NHL?
IS: Before the game I needed to put money on the board. If the team wins then the team will do something with it

Q: Do you get recognized in New York already?
IS: On the streets some people already recognize me even though I arrived kind of like the first snow. They wish me good luck.

Last edited:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Translating interview with Shesterkin in Russian outlet called sport24.ru:

«Чтобы не расплакаться, уставился в одну точку». Шестеркин — о втором матче в НХЛ и Лундквисте

Q: How you feel after your 2nd game for the Rangers?
IS: More or less getting comfortable to the NHL, there were more shots in this game. Turned out to be an interesting game, I was less nervous.

Q: You faced 49 SOG. Did it make it more difficult? (Duh???)
IS: I like it when there are more shots. Improves my stats. (Lol!!!)

Q: Do you play better in games like this? No chance to get "unfocused" off the game?
IS: Not sure, I still allowed to get scored on

Q: The third goal was a bit weird. Did you understand why refs allowed it?
IS: In this situation I couldn't figure out where ref saw the puck crossed the line. And the net was moved too...

Q: Did you enjoy / appreciate that you got the second game in the row?
IS: I'm very appreciative of the coach for giving me this chance. I want to play better and better with each game to get a permanent roster spot.

Q: What did you feel when the whole arena chanted your name: "I-gor! I-gor!"?
IS: I heard it and I felt my skinn crawl (in a good way). Thank you to the fans. This gave me confidence and made it feel more comfortable.

Q: Did you expect to be accepted by the Rangers fans so soon?
IS: Did not expected and was quite shocked. When my last name was announced and I heard reaction of the arena, I just had to stare at one spot to not start crying

Q: How do you grade your start in the best league in the world?
IS: I'm very happy with it, want to play even better, I had some issues that need to be corrected. I won't have much time my "train" (i.e. opportunity) could take me back to Hartford at any time and I don't want to go back.

Q: Lundqvist is a legend here. Did you enjoy playing with him?
IS: Lundqvist was a legend / idol for me even in Moscow. When I met him for the first time this summer I was positively shocked with his approach to the training process. He was always the first on the ice and the last one off it. He's very special!

Q: Did he support you? Offered any advice?
IS: He wished me good luck before the fist game, said it will be fun

Q: Did anybody called you Tsar around him?
IS: Lol, no. Heads would get taken off the shoulders immediately

Q: Are you proud that you're essentially pushing out Lundqvist - the legend?
IS: I wouldn't say that I personally am pushing him out. He's still number 1 here. I'm just trying to capitalize on the chance I'm given

Q: What are the rituals for rookies in the NHL?
IS: Before the game I needed to put money on the board. If the team wins then the team will do something with it

Q: Do you get recognized in New York already?
IS: On the streets some people already recognize me even though I arrived kind of like the first snow. They wish me good luck.
He seems to have incredible character
The fact that he was holding back tears when they announced his name & crowd cheered :puppy:

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I thought Igor had a rough first period and then was really solid after. Totally normal to have jitters with his level of experience.

The Devils suck but they always far exceed the Rangers’ intensity when they go head-to-head. It wasn’t an easy game for him.

Last edited:

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
He seems to have incredible character
The fact that he was holding back tears when they announced his name & crowd cheered :puppy:
I was at the Avs game and was suprised at the reaction too.

Coming back from the 2-0 first period was huge though. He proved himself in front of the whole fanbase by not disintegrating. It helps that the team played well in front of him and we won the games.

It did feel really good to chant I-GOR. It felt right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad