Signing(s): Sheldon Richardson to Vikings

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
As a Vikings fan, I love this sense of urgency. Fully on board the Super Bowl or bust train.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Griffen-Richardson-Joseph-Hunter

This was the one big missing piece in Zimmer's defense and they fill it with one of the better DTs in the NFL. They're going the mercenary route but I still love the one-year deal. You get a motivated Richardson and keep the flexibility moving forward. He could jump ahead of Diggs, Barr, and Kendricks on the priority list if he plays up to his potential in this defense, assuming they're still unsigned at that time. Hunter should remain the top priority no matter what.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They still need another depth edge rusher.

Every team will have a weakness, just the reality of the cap. Can fill that at the draft. Need OL, DE, and CB. That has to be their target on days 1&2 of the draft.

Was it more the market or choice for Richardson to only get a 1 year deal?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Every team will have a weakness, just the reality of the cap. Can fill that at the draft. Need OL, DE, and CB. That has to be their target on days 1&2 of the draft.

Was it more the market or choice for Richardson to only get a 1 year deal?

No one was going to give him 15 mil a year.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Not bad at all. I'm surprised the Seahawks weren't willing to give him that deal. He said he wanted a one-year deal and the Vikings' offer was better.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Not bad at all. I'm surprised the Seahawks weren't willing to give him that deal. He said he wanted a one-year deal and the Vikings' offer was better.

Seems like a transition year for Seattle. Not going to spend big in free agency. Might opt to use their cap space to extend guys like Lockett and Clark who are in their final year of rookie deal.

Allows them to get comp picks next season if they don’t spend big. Since they have lost graham and the two Richardson’s. No compmpicks for guys they cut.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
$8 million plus $3 million incentives isn't really a cheap deal. Hopefully you get a motivated Sheldon.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
After the Cousins signing didn't think they would make another big move. Glad to get him and glad they didn't need to commit to him long term (lots of money). Apparently before Cousins signed they were using him as part of their recruitment.

On a side note, sad the signing ended resulting in Jarius Wright getting released.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia

I was surprised too, I guess we ended up offering around 6.5M? That's not enough to keep a guy with his abilities.
What's crazy is that many were thinking that if the franchise tag were used it was going to be on him...to the tune of 14 million for a DT.
Looks like we both got off light in that case.

On another note, I'm a little surprised that these upper tier guys like Richardson and Badger are signing these prove-it deals. I mean, I get it--the market may be better for their positions next year, but I'm used to seeing guys like these sign for far longer at this stage.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
In reality these one year deals are guaranteed contracts. This could be the new trend in the NFL. It could backfire if Sheldon is awful but if he signed a long term deal and faulters they would cut him like the Fish could Suh. On the other hand Richardson is young enough to command big money after this season if he plays lights out.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In reality these one year deals are guaranteed contracts. This could be the new trend in the NFL. It could backfire if Sheldon is awful but if he signed a long term deal and faulters they would cut him like the Fish could Suh. On the other hand Richardson is young enough to command big money after this season if he plays lights out.

All long term deals come down to structure. Cousins 3 year deal is fully guaranteed, but Jimmy G's contract had $74 million guaranteed, making it essentially a 3 year guaranteed contract, so that if he doesn't perform, SF will cut him after year 3. If players want fully guaranteed contracts, the term is only going to be 3 years max. Only position that could command a longer term fully guaranteed deal are the QBs.

For Sheldon, if you're going to take a 1 year deal, doing so with a stacked team while making a good salary of $8 million plus $3 million in incentives is the way to go. If they win and he plays well, should get a good payday next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad