Sheldon Keefe out in Toronto

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
This management is not good enough. They say they want to win and will do anything blah blah blah but won't even provide any details in terms of an action plan. Just say that they are breaking up the Core 4 this summer and everyone has their answers.

Did you expect them to give you their entire offseason plans on an end of season presser? Of course you weren't going to get anything.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Honestly, they should hire Darryl. He can turn #8 D-men into competent regular NHLers. They don't need to mess with the core.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Many people and some journalists are acting like Keefe was sacrificed after an OT goal in game 7 on a bad rebound against a top team. The truth is:

Keefe was hired in 2019
Lost in qualifying round against the jackets in 2020
Lost in round 1 against the Canadiens in 2021
Lost in round 1 against Tampa in 2022
Lost in round 2 against Florida 2023
Lost in round 1 against Bruins 2024

That's an awful record and even though you can't held him responsable (alone), i just don't see how you can justify keeping him around 1 more year. Regular season stats mean nothing if you can't win comes the playoffs.

Now Shanahan has to go since he's the real mastermind behind that nightmare.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Did you expect them to give you their entire offseason plans on an end of season presser? Of course you weren't going to get anything.
I don't know if Shanahan realize what he just said at the end there. He said that they have to assess the team at the end of this season. The reporter said well, why didn't you do this last year. He said they do it every year.

That makes this even worse. If the results of their assessment results in the same results one has to question either the methodology of the assessment and more to the point, whether the people doing the assessment are the right people for the job.

So imagine this mentality and culture permeating throughout the organization. No wonder the on ice product has remained stagnant.

They didn't provide more details because they're covering their own butts, in case Tavares and Marner won't waive their NMC and the Leafs end up having to ice the same roster next year with very minor changes.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
They didn't provide more details because they're covering their own butts, in case Tavares and Marner won't waive their NMC and the Leafs end up having to ice the same roster next year with very minor changes.

What else were they supposed to say?

If they already had a trade agreed upon it would be announced.

Danarqhy

Oct 27, 2022
Check Republic
youtube.com
They did it intentionally. The Leafs always extend coaches they're going to fire as a sort of severance pay. They treat their coaches well even when letting them go. Probably to make it more desireable for future coaches to want to coach there.

They did the exact same thing with Ron Wilson, Carlyle, etc. Basically every full-time coach that was on an expiring deal got a multi year extension right before they were fired.
Yes I agree with this, I'm just saying that the optics of firing a coach who's extension hasn't kicked in yet are...bad. Looks like mismanagement. But you are right and I agree this makes the Leafs a potentially more desirable destination to coach if you basically know that you'll get a few millions extra for free more than in another market if you are let go.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
They did it intentionally. The Leafs always extend coaches they're going to fire as a sort of severance pay. They treat their coaches well even when letting them go. Probably to make it more desireable for future coaches to want to coach there.

They did the exact same thing with Ron Wilson, Carlyle, etc. Basically every full-time coach that was on an expiring deal got a multi year extension right before they were fired.
This is a very interesting point and I did not clue in to that being an intentional/purposeful action. It does make sense though, since coaches are more at risk of being moved quickly - it's almost like negotiating a severance package ahead of time, at the point of hiring. I see this in corporate circles so it makes sense why they would do this to incentivize coaches to consider a particular team.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Permission? I know the Leafs are basically printing money but why would they go "Nah, we want to pay Keefe his full salary for a few more years, f*** off Devils"?

• Haha
Reactions: Forge

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto

that is f***ing insane! Keefe getting a job as any Head Coach, let alone a possible (recovery) contender like NJ?

I guess my own opinion of him is just much worse than some. As in, he's a zero, and why would any NHL org consider him for a head coach job? I sincerely hope this is smoke...

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
that is f***ing insane! Keefe getting a job as any Head Coach, let alone a possible (recovery) contender like NJ?

I guess my own opinion of him is just much worse than some. As in, he's a zero, and why would any NHL org consider him for a head coach job? I sincerely hope this is smoke...

dang

leafs should sleepwalk to a cup next season if they were this good with such a bad head coach

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
It will be interesting to see who gets blamed next year when they lose in the first round now that Dubas and Keefe are no longer there to blame.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
long overdue, can win in the regular season, but gets outcoached in a playoff series reliably by the opposing coach

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Show me all these videos of Patty Kane blowing guys up, and grinding for pucks in corners. I'll wait.
Show me the videos of Marner scoring Stanley Cup winning goals and hoisting the Conn Smythe trophy. I'll wait.

If you actually think those two players are the same, I really don't know what to tell you.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Keefe is a good coach and respected around the league. Sure there was a lack of playoff success but he can at least get you to the dance. Players like playing for the guy and hes a stand up dude.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Now Shanahan has to go since he's the real mastermind behind that nightmare.
It is fine and dandy that Shanahan says that he is accountable for the poor performance and the underwhelming results and it is "on me". But practically what does that mean? For me, in hearing this corporate speak coming from many executives in my lifetime, it is honestly empty words unless it is accompanied by action.

Plus, "it is on me" and "the buck stops with me" and "I am accountable" all ring hollow - it's just words. Unlike "I made wrong choices", "I made a poor decision" mated with "here are the changes I will make to make sure it doesn't happen again". I understand that a press conference is not maybe the place and time to do a full introspection, but based on the reporter comments and excellent questions, he has to do more than just saying "the poor results are on me".

Real change is evident in behaviours, not words. The fact that it's the same refrain couched in different words each year from Shanahan tells me that unless he leaves, anything that "changes" will be merely window dressing. Past precedent may not necessarily be an indicator of future performance, but certainly a repeated history of the same past precedent does signal a pattern, that unless it changes, is likely to yield the same outcome.

At least with Sheldon's statement, it was pretty clear that he acknowledges specifically the areas in which he failed. No longer as the coach of the Leafs, it is pointless to speculate what he would do differently. Shanahan, however, is still with the club. Would have been nice for Pelley to specifically indicate WHY Shanahan is being retained, other than general superlatives / corporate speak vagueness.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
He was right about being in love with Zach Hyman as well.

I remember Leafs fans complaining about him being on a line with Matthews.

The complaint was early in Hyman’s and Brown’s careers. Hyman developed into fantastic player in the last 2 years of his career in Toronto. In fact, a lot fans wanted Hyman signed after his contract ended.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad