Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
The young'uns have no idea what being a Leafs fan was like in the 80s. Spoiler: it was bad. Very, very bad.

This is the Leafs we're talking about. They will go for the biggest name available. Right now, that is Berube, so it will be him.
Would you believe me if I told you that statistically, the 80s Leafs had more playoff success and won more playoff rounds then this current Leafs core?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Would you believe me if I told you that statistically, the 80s Leafs had more playoff success and won more playoff rounds then this current Leafs core?

Makes me laugh because we are talking about statistically far superior to this core.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
when Keefe should have been canned.

1715949555767.png

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
  1. Block Berube's number
  2. Get the MLSE dump truck
  3. Fill it with money
  4. Deliver it to Rod the Bod and his bench
  5. Plan the Parade

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
  1. Block Berube's number
  2. Get the MLSE dump truck
  3. Fill it with money
  4. Deliver it to Rod the Bod and his bench
  5. Plan the Parade
fail.

1. Trade Marner
  2. Block Berube's number
  3. Get the MLSE dump truck
  4. Fill it with money
  5. Deliver it to Rod the Bod and his bench
  6. Plan the Parade
success.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
On 32 thoughts elliot said he believes leafs have talked to gallant.
Lmaoo wow I was literally taking about Gallant as soon as Keefe got fired and was wondering why he's never in the media as a choice

I even said Gallant seems exactly like a Treliving guy

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
On the latest episode of the 32 Thoughts Podcast, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman indicated that he had heard that the Leafs had spoken to the four-time NHL head coach.

"You know my feelings on Toronto, which is until I'm told otherwise I believe that (Craig) Berube is their guy," Friedman said. It's just a matter of what the process is to get there. But I had heard that Gallant had spoke to the Maple Leafs and I would assume that he has spoke to some other teams as well.

thinkblue

Oct 6, 2020
Lmaoo wow I was literally taking about Gallant as soon as Keefe got fired and was wondering why he's never in the media as a choice

I even said Gallant seems exactly like a Treliving guy

Read the main board thread about gallant. I know, grain of salt , but there's a lot there that doesn't sound great.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I've been hoping for Brind'Amour for a long time, but, in reality, I dont think he would be a good coach for us.
I love the way he gets the best out of his players, and the dedicated style and structure they play, but, in the end, he is as big a failure in the playoffs with a much better defensive team.
this season they really loaded up on offense too, and it was the same old thing we have seen here, outplay the other team and cant put a game away.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Of course it does. Covid was the main reason why the cap hasn't gone up. But it is what it is at this point. Same with Berube, he doesn't look impressive at this point. Star players also left under his watch.

I was specifically talking about the 2019-20 season and ONLY the 2019-20 season and how the COVID pause halted what was a great Blues campaign as they were defending their title. You brining up the Leafs means nothing because they were playing poorly that season so the pause didn’t derail anything for them. Now you’ve got me talking about how COVID affected teams over the long term when that wasn’t my point at all.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yes, on a broader scale COVID screwed the Leafs arguably the most over multiple seasons. But I was talking specifically about the 2019-20 season on its own with regards to the Blues.

That is such a lazy argument. Covid screwed everyone the same. Smart teams that signed smart contracts were fine. Teams that thought ahead were fine. The leafs screwed themselves like they always do with piss poor owners and decision makers.

Add. Whether CV hit or not a recession was looming. I poseted about it during the big 4 signings to crickets mostly.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
That is such a lazy argument. Covid screwed everyone the same. Smart teams that signed smart contracts were fine. Teams that thought ahead were fine. The leafs screwed themselves like they always do with piss poor owners and decision makers.

Add. Whether CV hit or not a recession was looming. I poseted about it during the big 4 signings to crickets mostly.
Speaking of recession how long do you think we’ll be in this economic funk? Do you see it turning around by end of 2025?

Reactions: thewave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Speaking of recession how long do you think we’ll be in this economic funk? Do you see it turning around by end of 2025?

Bringing this back in line to NHL. I see trade wars happening. Further inflation. Wars expanding and rather tough times. If I were the NHL I would provision for low cap growth and the use of the kicker but hope for the best.

So be very conservative on the future contracts. What do I know though. Nylander may have been the smart one going the full 8 v AM

Reactions: HolyCrap

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Didn’t Florida leave Gallant on the side of the road a few years back?

That was hilarious.

Left him standing on the sidewalk with his suitcases while the bus peeled off. Ruthless. That's what the Leafs should have done with Keefe.

Apparently the problem with Gallant isn't his coaching but his ability to wear out his welcome by rubbing owners and players the wrong way.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That was hilarious.

Left him standing on the sidewalk with his suitcases while the bus peeled off. Ruthless. That's what the Leafs should have done with Keefe.

Apparently the problem with Gallant isn't his coaching but his ability to wear out his welcome by rubbing owners and players the wrong way.
Here we go. They just dumped him and left:
1715958016075.jpeg

Pretty heartless right after the game. Left him by the woods.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, they got to the second round twice, in what was at the time the worst division in hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad