Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Looks like Berube’s job to lose.
Like the idea of a stronger voice. Core 4 need a kick in the ass.
Craig Berube likes big heavy physical hockey, just like he use to play.

Leafs current core 4 might be a part of that plan.

We might not just be looking at a stronger voice but a stronger core 4.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Craig Berube likes big heavy physical hockey, just like he use to play.

Leafs current core 4 might be a part of that plan.

We might not just be looking at a stronger voice but a stronger core 4.
Maybe he can be a catalyst for deals as he was part of the Fuhr deal and Gilmore deals.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
A coach is the easiest decision, but many, many Cup winning coaches have been fired.

Keefe has 1 victory in the playoffs.

Sounds like the Leafs are closing in on a Cup winning coach.

Even if you cannot change all the players you can change some and change deployment.

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
In a perfect world, not sure Berube is my first choice. That said, he comes in with pedigree, a winner, he will command respect from the players, he will most certainly have their ear next year. That's all that really matters short term. This team tuned Keefe out years ago imo, he couldn't motivate anymore. Berube has a presence and the ring is enough to get some buy in.

Reactions: The Masters

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
In a perfect world, not sure Berube is my first choice. That said, he comes in with pedigree, a winner, he will command respect from the players, he will most certainly have their ear next year. That's all that really matters short term. This team tuned Keefe out years ago imo, he couldn't motivate anymore. Berube has a presence and the ring is enough to get some buy in.
Will Berube institute an in your face, north/south forecheck style of game? How did he have St. Louis playing? I never really watched them much. I can’t say yea or nay to him because I don’t know him that well.

Reactions: myleafs

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Will Berube institute an in your face, north/south forecheck style of game? How did he have St. Louis playing? I never really watched them much. I can’t say yea or nay to him because I don’t know him that well.
"Berube's suffocating system took a stranglehold on the rest of the league. The Blues became a heavy hockey team that made opponents fight for every inch of the ice and did not allow for easy passage through the neutral zone. Not only did the Blues find their scoring touch, but their forechecking became a widely superior strength over anyone else in the NHL, increasing their offensive-zone time and not allowing teams to rush up the ice."

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
"Berube's suffocating system took a stranglehold on the rest of the league. The Blues became a heavy hockey team that made opponents fight for every inch of the ice and did not allow for easy passage through the neutral zone. Not only did the Blues find their scoring touch, but their forechecking became a widely superior strength over anyone else in the NHL, increasing their offensive-zone time and not allowing teams to rush up the ice."
Then Tre has his work cut out for him.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
sounds like how Boston, Carolina, and now Florida play

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
He's not in my top 3.

Ignoring the fact that iron fisted head coaches have a very short shelf life, I'm just convinced that this team & group needs that sort of message or delivery. Can totally see them tuning out a coach like this.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He's not in my top 3.

Ignoring the fact that iron fisted head coaches have a very short shelf life, I'm just convinced that this team & group needs that sort of message or delivery. Can totally see them tuning out a coach like this.
I don't really care about shelf life at this point, we're in win now. He isn't my top pick either but coaches don't last anyways so it's irrelevant to me. Look at all the changes in last year.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Berube's a great coach and I ain't gonna argue, hell of a lot better than Keefe that's for sure.

Really don't think he's gonna get along very well with a couple players here though.

Ignoring the fact that iron fisted head coaches have a very short shelf life
Pretty sure it's part of the reason they're hiring him. The last thing this core needs is another "player's coach".

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I still think Claude Julien is the best guy for our team to instill solid fundamentals that our team can benefit from for a long time!

That's one thing the Boston fanbase still gives him credit for.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
This aligns perfectly with how Tre likes his teams to play

Yea, Berube seems like the frontrunner for a reason. He coaches a style our GM would like to see played, and also preaches accountability that has generally been lacking.

There are some criticisms on the X's and O's side for Berube (deserved or not), but that's where you find assistant coaches who excel in those areas to compliment Berube's strengths.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I hope Craig berube isn't the leading candidate because he has a Stanley Cup ring.
His playoff coaching record including the Stanley Cup year is 27W-28L.

One magical 16-10 run and 11-18 otherwise

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I hope Craig berube isn't the leading candidate because he has a Stanley Cup ring.

I don't get why people consider his cup run "magic" or a "fluke".

Does he not get any credit at all for taking over a St. Louis team in last place and coaching them to a cup?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

Look at Paul Maurice's playoff record until he got to Florida. Everybody loves Quennville, but his playoff record outside of Chicago is nothing extraordinary. Keefe had to be changed here because at some point time runs out on every coach, but without the right lineup fixes I'm not sure Berube is going to work miracles here. He isn't going to turn Mitch Marner into a Tkachuk or Rielly into Makar.

Reactions: bax

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Look at Paul Maurice's playoff record until he got to Florida. Everybody loves Quennville, but his playoff record outside of Chicago is nothing extraordinary. Keefe had to be changed here because at some point time runs out on every coach, but without the right lineup fixes I'm not sure Berube is going to work miracles here. He isn't going to turn Mitch Marner into a Tkachuk or Rielly into Makar.
In terms of pure coaching systems I don't believe he's some revolutionary genius.

But reading around about him from other fans opinions of him it does sound like he's a legit hardass who can regularly produce good efforts from his team.

I'm gonna like the guy if he goes it his way to make life harder on the core.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sounds like a perfect system that would be Kryptonite against the Leafs roster come playoff time.

"If you can't beat them, join them".
&
"If you can't join them, then just beat them".
(literally and figuratively) :)

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
In terms of pure coaching systems I don't believe he's some revolutionary genius.

But reading around about him from other fans opinions of him it does sound like he's a legit hardass who can regularly produce good efforts from his team.

I'm gonna like the guy if he goes it his way to make life harder on the core.
This is actually not something I worry about. I think the bigger issue is whether two of those core players are still here next season. Berube won't, and doesn't need to, change Matthews and Nylander. Ironically, the player he could probably do the most for is Marner, but I don't think he will get that chance.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's Treliving's the GM job to attempt to turn Marner into a Tkachuk like player and Rielly into a Makar. :wg: .. Looks like he first wants a hard nosed coach, then looking to find him the player personnel to fit that system using the current roster as bait.

PS. Keefe lost to Columbus the lowest scoring team in the league in the play-in round of 24 in a best of 5. He lost to Montreal in an ALL-CDN Div where they wouldn't even have qualified for the playoffs on points if not for new Covid rules and closed Divisions.

Keefe's time never ran out, it happened before he was even hired as he was completely incapable of beating anyone and never qualified in the first place if not BFF with the previous GM.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Sounds like a perfect system that would be Kryptonite against the Leafs roster come playoff time.

"If you can't beat them, join them".
&
"If you can't join them, then just beat them".
(literally and figuratively) :)
From the book of the Florida Panthers.
1715697366745.png

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Pretty sure it's part of the reason they're hiring him. The last thing this core needs is another "player's coach".
Feels very lazy & easy for them to simply fire Keefe and then bring in the anti-Keefe, with little thought.

You could also go and hire a coach that preaches accountability, and is actually a good tactician and an X's and O's guy - Gallant, BDA, etc.

Berube isn't the answer here. Things flamed out spectacularly in St. Louis - seems to be an awful communicator, and not a great coach

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Feels very lazy & easy for them to simply fire Keefe and then bring in the anti-Keefe, with little thought.

You could also go and hire a coach that preaches accountability, and is actually a good tactician and an X's and O's guy - Gallant, BDA, etc.

Berube isn't the answer here. Things flamed out spectacularly in St. Louis - seems to be an awful communicator, and not a great coach
You can bring in an X's and O's guy but that won't get the best out of Marner and Rielly. Notice how the team plays better when those two have been out, particularly Rielly. We simplify our game and play more structured. Given that we probably can't move Marner, and won't move Rielly, I'd rather have a hard-ass coach who will hold them accountable. Berube isn't my first choice, but given the way this core has played under Keefe, he's not a bad choice.

Reactions: horner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad